★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Old School Platformers

07-24-2016, 06:39 PM
Old School Platformers

What are the best retro platformers?
07-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Feel like all platformers are retro, to some extent. But I'd say Super Phantom Cat has a great retro NES-era Super Mario vibe, albeit without the 8-bit graphics. If you want it to look retro, maybe Kero Blaster. Or Tiny Dangerous Dungeons for the Game Boy aesthetic.

But I reckon Goblin Sword is the best out and out platformer on iOS.

2016 GOTY nominations (needs editing!): Crashlands, FFIX, Sky Force Reloaded, Lost Socks, Tennis Champs Returns, Teeny Titans, Human Resource Machine, Imbroglio, Retsnom, SteamWorld Heist
Comeback of the year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

07-24-2016, 07:05 PM
Yeah Goblin Sword is easily the best in the bunch, on par with VVVVVV. My personal "Best-Of" list looks like this:

VVVVVV
Goblin Sword
Kid Tripp
Mutant Mudds
Traps N Gemstones
Shantae
Mikey Trilogy
Venture Kid
Sword of Xolan
League of Evil
Rex Rocket
INC, Stardash, Meganoid
Bloo Kid 2

Most of the best games in the genre have high-style graphics, but then again, graphic style is a very broad subject in the genre considering despite the pixelly looks of Mikey titles they have very sharp, colorful visuals which isnt really how the retro ones really looked like.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
07-24-2016, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Yeah Goblin Sword is easily the best in the bunch, on par with VVVVVV. My personal "Best-Of" list looks like this:

VVVVVV
Goblin Sword
Kid Tripp
Mutant Mudds
Traps N Gemstones
Shantae
Mikey Trilogy
Venture Kid
Sword of Xolan
League of Evil
Rex Rocket
INC, Stardash, Meganoid
Bloo Kid 2

Most of the best games in the genre have high-style graphics, but then again, graphic style is a very broad subject in the genre considering despite the pixelly looks of Mikey titles they have very sharp, colorful visuals which isnt really how the retro ones really looked like.
Out of these I have goblin sword, sword of xolan, shantae, traps n gemstones, and mutant mudds, Definitly going to check out the others! Also have phantom cat and tiny dangerous dungeons
07-25-2016, 12:46 AM
Some those might not be plat former and that old school, but I think you will find some interesting specimen here,
Menehenheneheeeeeennn!
Check out this video
https://youtu.be/FoBHU9KsbRM
07-25-2016, 04:10 AM
Thomas Was Alone is my all time favorite platformer on iOS. Great platformer with an awesome story.
07-25-2016, 11:14 AM
I'd include gunman Clive. Hard as nails though.
07-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs07 View Post
I'd include gunman Clive. Hard as nails though.
Really good game, but this is what i mean where it could or couldnt count as retro. Back in the day there really isnt a 2.5d platformer which this one is, but the gameplay and visuals outside of the 2.5d perspective would easily pass.
07-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelvsHotPencil View Post
Some those might not be plat former and that old school
Might?
07-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Might?
I means that some of them are 3D and and some are more beat them up