Idea search thread: Looking for cool ways to create/gather economy in upcoming game.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Tosty, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Tosty

Tosty Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Hey everyone,

I have an idea for a strategy war-game. It's not a copy or clone, but the idea would be something similar to Mobile Strike or Game of War (once again, I am not making a clone... I know a million versions of those games already exist).

The main concept of the game would be to build your army, and attack/battle other people. It would cost a currency to train your army, but instead of building and upgrading a generator (such as gold mine, food production, etc)... I'm looking at what are some other possible methods for the user to acquire in-game currency in order to train and upgrade their army.

I just feel like the building of some sort of generator where upgrade times continuously get longer and longer is so cliche these days. Everyone does it and it is such a money grab. I'm looking for another style that could possibly be more balanced and fair for most players without spending lots of money on the game.

Anyone have ideas?

2. Inner Hero

Inner Hero Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 24, 2015
    An easy way to gather resources is to simply tap. This is the foundation of clicker/tapper games. It would be interesting to see this concept combined with what you are talking about. Check Tap Transcend: Rebirth - we tried to merge clicker style gameplay with combat ourselves, and it makes for a unique experience.

Another cool way to gather resources could be neat little mini-games.

Good luck!

3. Tosty

Tosty Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    What kind of mini games could you incorporate into accumulating economy? I feel like adding 4-5 different mini games would drastically increase development time (instead of developing one game, you are now developing 5-6).

4. Inner Hero

Inner Hero Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 24, 2015
    You know I'm not really sure; I was just trying to give some conceptual ideas. It would definitely increase development time, but it was all that came into my head for now. I'll let you know if I think of anything else!

5. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Tiny Tower has you operating the elevator for tiny economic games.
    Pokemon Go has you visiting points of interest on a map, then spinning a floaty disc thing

You could have to unearth tiny buried treasure boxes be swiping the map (which digs them out) if you were a beach/sea war game.
    Or if you're going for a more modern feel, you could have players build satellites which ocassionally pass over top the battle.
    Or you could have cartoon coyotes bring economic resources on acme trains that spawn at semi-random intervals. Players have to tap on as many cars on the train as possible, each tap nets you 1 gold nugget.

When it comes to games, your creativity is your limit for every mechanic.