★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Pixel Soccer - fun, pixel art, soccer game!

08-02-2016, 05:07 AM
Pixel Soccer - fun, pixel art, soccer game!

Hi All,

I am an indie developer working on a pixel art soccer game called Pixel Soccer. Sensible Soccer, Kick Off and Goal by Jon Hare and Dino Dini are big inspirations and i like a lot of people spent much of the 90s playing these games.

Pixel Soccer will be released on iPad later this year. EDIT: Had originally thought that iPhone version was not viable because of the small screen size but i will see what people thinking during testing before making a decision. It will also launch on Steam Early Access for PC and Mac. Also hope to release on XBOX and Linux early 2017.

The game is still in development but i try to release a game-play video every month. Here is this months game-play video. Looking to start external testing soon so looking to get the word out.

Let me know what you think, always interested in feedback that will make the game better.

Last edited by SuperRockGames; 08-02-2016 at 07:27 AM.
08-02-2016, 06:38 AM
I am always very interested when it comes to football! I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

08-02-2016, 06:39 AM
But iPad only is a bit sad, not everyone has an iPad, why wouldn't it be possible get it on iPhone?
08-02-2016, 07:22 AM
@djstout - i think we have spoken before about one of my other games kickup king? Glad you like this one.

The game does run on an iPhone but its just the screen size might be too small for people to select players. Could also try implementing a virtual joypad but again the screen size on iPhones might make it very hard to play.

Its a difficult decision. Release on iPhone aswell as iPad and people may not have a good gameplay experience and word of mouth may affect the game.

Maybe as a compromise, release iPad first and then later the iPhone.

Pixel Soccer will also be on PC/Mac and hopefully XBOX so you could enjoy it there too
08-02-2016, 07:22 AM
iPad only???
08-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarmaxx View Post
iPad only???
See my reply above

Again iPhone version can be done, just thought it might affect the game play experience.
08-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRockGames View Post
@djstout - i think we have spoken before about one of my other games kickup king? Glad you like this one.

The game does run on an iPhone but its just the screen size might be too small for people to select players. Could also try implementing a virtual joypad but again the screen size on iPhones might make it very hard to play.

Its a difficult decision. Release on iPhone aswell as iPad and people may not have a good gameplay experience and word of mouth may affect the game.

Maybe as a compromise, release iPad first and then later the iPhone.

Pixel Soccer will also be on PC/Mac and hopefully XBOX so you could enjoy it there too
Good point of view but you're restricting yourself as there are far more people playing on iPhone than iPad, that's the only problem. Active Soccer ans other made very good iPhone games, I think you can do it. Maybe you could make an iPad version first and then iPhone.
08-02-2016, 08:47 AM
@djstout Try to watch the video on your iPhone, hiding the screen a bit with fingers... It would be unplayable.
Maybe it could be ok on iPhone 6/6s Plus, especially with a MFi controller.

Last edited by atchoo; 08-02-2016 at 08:51 AM.
08-02-2016, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atchoo View Post
@djstout Try to watch the video on your iPhone, hiding the screen a bit with fingers... It would be unplayable.
Maybe it could be ok on iPhone 6/6s Plus, especially with a MFi controller.
A simple zoom in would do the trick
08-02-2016, 10:43 AM
It could change the way you play the game.
Sensible Soccer or Kick Off didn't zoom in or zoom out.