★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Squeeballs Party

10-14-2009, 03:15 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Squeeballs Party

Finally, after 11 months, the Squeeballs are unleashed! I had great fun making this, and just managed to hit the App Store to coincide with the Wii and DS releases tomorrow!

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=333962577&mt=8

More screenshots here.

Doing the Lite version today, so hopefully that'll appear soon, too.

Last edited by Oaf; 10-20-2009 at 02:56 AM.
10-14-2009, 03:51 AM

using [ appinfo=all] your app link[ /appinfo]
delete blank

Puzzle game Falling Match = Tetris + Color match 3 + Physics.

10-14-2009, 04:09 AM
Cool - thanks for that!
10-14-2009, 04:16 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Looks nice...Good luck in the app store.
10-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Did no one else get this? It's a collection of 5 mini games with some very appealing characters. As the dev said, there are a few minor graphical rough edges, but I'm hoping he'll clean those up, and most importantly ADD MORE GAMES! Even as is though, it's well worth the price. It has Agon online leaderboards and achievements and some great cutscenes.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
10-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
Did no one else get this? It's a collection of 5 mini games with some very appealing characters. As the dev said, there are a few minor graphical rough edges, but I'm hoping he'll clean those up, and most importantly ADD MORE GAMES! Even as is though, it's well worth the price. It has Agon online leaderboards and achievements and some great cutscenes.
Purchased it. One of the only games i got today just have not had a chance to play.
10-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Ok well I got this game because it looked fun, and for the most part, it is. There are 5 mini games to play throughout the game (Bowling, Cooking, Crazy Lanes, Paint by Squeeballs, and Shock) The first game "10 Pin Bowling" is basically a game of bowling where you try to knock down the pins. You use the accelerometer to steer the ball. Second is a game called "Paint by Squeeballs." You have a slingshot and the goal is to aim and fire squeeballs to paint in areas of a target, this game uses touch and drag controls. The third game called "Cooking" has you preparing and cooking food for a character El Toro in a timely manner. You will perform multiple touch gestures on the screen when playing this minigame. The fourth mini game is "Crazy Lanes" which has you bowling a ball down a wacky slope and steering with the accelerometer, sometimes collecting things along the way and knocking down the pins at the end. The final game is called "Shock" where you use tilt controls to guide a loop along an electric wire trying not to make contact and lose the charge.

All the mini games included in this app are pretty fun. I think "10 pin bowling" "crazy lanes" and "shock" are the best of the ones included. If there is any downfall about the minigames or Squeeball's Party as a game, I would have to describe it all as rigid. Rigid graphics, rigid movement/physics. But by no means is the game unplayable, in fact the gameplay is very enjoyable and the fact that the game is rigid does not imply that the game is flawed, but more that while the physics work they are wacky on purpose and not meant to be realistic. Its much more of a goofy game than a serious one.

There are 2 modes in Squeeball's Party, "Single Game" and "Challenge Ladder." Single Game Mode lets you choose any of the 5 mini games to play and focuses primarily on the minigame you choose and you earning better scores and accomplishments for it. Challenge Ladder Mode focuses on all the minigames and a variety of objectives for you to complete for each one that changes from level to level as you advance. So while you play the same mini games more than once, it still feels new because there are new challenges for each level of the ladder. (For example in one of the bowling games "crazy lanes" - in one level you will be given 8 balls to knock down the 10 pins, the next challenge/level on the ladder of that mini game you will only be given 2 with the same task of knocking all 10 down, then the next challenge you play you will have to collect a certain amount of stars along the way to knocking down the pins.) This all keeps each mini game from becoming too repetitous. For every level that you complete, you unlock another one on the ladder.

There are animated cutscenes in between the levels, they are pretty good but sometimes they repeat themselves. The overall presentation of the game is good though. Graphics are a little rigid but colorful and overall not bad. Music and sounds are good. Scoring for the games is set up well with leaderboards. The difficulty of the minigames are mostly easy but can get challenging as you move through the levels.

If you are looking for a game for your kids or if kids are always looking to play games on your ipod/iphone, this is a great app to go with, and adults can enjoy it too. Its mostly a kids game though largely because of the theme and simplicity but even most adults will recognize the quality of its presentation and find it playable. Squeeball's Party is available on multiple systems (DS, Wii, coming to X360, and now idevices) so its not a smalltime project, from what I hear there is even a sequel coming. Overall its a good game, it appears to have a decent amount of content, and most importantly its fun to play. I give it an 8/10 for adults, 9/10 for kids.
10-20-2009, 02:34 AM
Thanks Freedog
10-20-2009, 02:47 AM
no problem. minus well post some gameplay video...

Youtube link | Pop Up
10-21-2009, 02:24 AM
Is there any way we can get this review on the main Touch Arcade site I wonder...?