Bowmasters Garbage Bin

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Other, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Other

Other Member

Sep 27, 2015
    #1 Other, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Blah

2. RedThumb

RedThumb Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2016
    #2 RedThumb, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Again, and again, and again ... you are a troll and nobody asked you.
    Please proceed back below your rock.
    Thank you!

Edit: Changed your comment, did you?

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This place is getting truly insane.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Something I'm really curious of is what was the catalyst to change the vibe around here so significantly? In like 2009-2010, if there was a bug in a game or some other weird/unexpected feature, it was pretty normal to have someone post something along the lines of "Hey I tweeted/emailed the dev and told them to come check out this thread, we'll see what they say about this bug."

Now days, and I'm not sure if this is just because of the larger outrage culture that seems to be prevailing in enthusiast gamer circles these days, but instead of any kind of common sense problem solving we just jump to these being "dirty tricks" and "shameful" while carpet bombing with one star reviews and refund requests.

I don't get it, and it's really making my own forums not fun for me anymore.

5. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I think we've all become jaded by the Free to Play model to be honest. The difference between now and back then was back then, most games we paid for outright and didn't expect to have to keep on paying and paying. Devs changed their model to make heaps more money and in doing this, they lost some empathy/sympathy from their customers.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

To be fair, for the vast majority of developers who hang around on TouchArcade still, the change to free to play was to make any money and survive. This whole super greedy dev drowning in unfathomable riches thing just largely doesn't exist for anyone other than the absolute top 0.1% of games on the App Store. There's no reason to have this attitude towards everyone else, who are really just trying to keep the lights on.

No one from King, Supercell, etc lurk on TouchArcade or care what anyone around here thinks. The developers who do still hang out here are just as interested in making players happy as they were back then. Treating both tiers of developers in the same hyper-distrustful aggressively conspiratorial way really isn't fair for anyone, and isn't accomplishing anything more than killing the forums.

7. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia

I wouldn't say that this is the case. Here I paid money expecting the premium experience, and I should for $3 AUS.
    Instead I have received a game where ads are pretty much shoved in my face. This is the same Free to play game with timers (waiting for free chests), ads advertising unlocks and coins, and more ads when you specifically try to avoid them. This is supposed to be a premium version. Zombie highway is free and not as invasive. In the SHMUP Sky Force Reloaded you pay for ad removal and then there are no ads. At all. This is what I expect from a premium game. The moment we accept ads in a premium game as normal, the devs (some, not all) will take advantage of that expectation.

Ads in this game are not a bug, they are a feature... In a paid game.

8. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    The description tells you exactly what you're getting:

"Ad-free version of the game! No irritating banner ads!
    3 characters included plus 3.000 coins for free!"

It specifically mentions the persistent banner ads. Every other ad in the game is opt-in only.

Sad to see yet another thread devolve into the exact same bitching and moaning about free to play stuff.

9. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I think this is selective memory, there were tons of free to play games even back then. Also I think everyone forgets that the vast majority of free to play games fail and don't make any money at all. People always position it as this "greedy" tactic but that's simply not true.

10. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mate, it does mention the "persistent banner ads" but fails to mention a myriad of other ads. Why should I watch an ad after every duel in order to open a chest"? Why should I watch an ad before trying a new character? I got a premium version and expect it to be entirely ad free. Why should I not expect that anymore?
    Eli seems convinced that it is "just a bug" and the kind devs simply made a mistake. I fail to see how it is possible not to notice this "bug" while testing the game. I think that players have tolerance for actual bugs.

This thread devolved into a punishing slamming of devs because they tried something dodgy and failed to get away with it.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I'm not sure when "a punishing slamming of devs" became acceptable, but, I admittedly don't understand very much about the intense levels of anger on the internet in 2016.

12. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Again, you need to make a distinction between a free to play and a premium game. I have purchased a premium version of this game, not a free one. Therein lies my expectation to be playing a premium game, not slightly less annoying FTP game.

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I guess Crossy Road is dodgy too then, huh? They also have opt-in ads. As do hundreds of other games. Like I said, I agree the language isn't clear and I'd appreciate an alternate way to open chests without viewing ads, but unlike some people I'm not going to act like this is some sort of dirty trick and that the developers were trying to purposely deceive anyone. You don't put the type of time and effort into a well-polished game like this if you're just trying to swindle people out of their money. If it was some Flappy Bird reskin I might buy into that more, but even then, if that was the case, I'd simply ignore the game in the first place as it's not like there's a lack of awesome games I could be playing rather than spending my time berating a developer on a forum that as far as anyone knows they don't even read.

14. HeinzKetup

HeinzKetup Well-Known Member

May 26, 2016
    Eli never said that he was convinced that it was just a bug. What he REALLY said was that back in 2009-2010, when there was a bug or an issue in a game, it wasn't that big of a deal. Someone would say "Hey, I emailed the dev, he said he would look into it." That was pretty much the end of the issue. In present time, gamers are getting mad over the silliest of things; the ads in Bowmasters or opt-in only; they're not intrusive at all, and they really don't affect you in any way unless you choose to watch them.
    This wasn't shady at all. It's simply a misunderstanding. This issue does not in the slightest warrant a refund.

15. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Eli, I have been part of this website for quite a number of years and I do remember many occasions even as far back as when IAPs were first introduced when players got very angry if they felt that the dev is taking them for a ride. There are plenty of games which get praise when the ads are introduced in a reasonable manner (Zombie highway) even when they are free. There have ALWAYS been little tolerance for ads in premium games. It's not a new thing.
    If players don't voice their opinions and expectations, how would the devs know what to do?

16. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Crossy road is a free to play game. Ads in some form are expected. In a premium version of this game they are not.

17. badmanj

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Nah sorry - if something calls itself "Ad Free" then it should be JUST that. Sad to see people defending something that is being blatantly deceptive.

18. badmanj

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Nothing wrong with my memory - the proportion of free-to-download games to premium back then was WAY lower. "Free to Play" games that take off can make LOADS more money than premium - that's what the devs are gambling on.

19. eugekava

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Eli did express his firm belief that it is a bug in comments under the article on the main page.
    Again, I reiterate that ads are incorporated into a play system in a paid game. Yes, I don't have to watch the ad but I get punished for not doing so. If I don't watch the ad I don't get the benefit of a reward from a chest. That is an example of a typical FTP model. I wouldn't even bother posting if it was a FTP game. I would expect to suffer through the ads just like I do with Zombie Highway. Sky force reloaded had an option to pay to remove ads completely. I took that option and can now enjoy a game completely without ads. The chests that open do so without the ad playing first. That is the ad-free version done right. That is what I expect.

20. pseudoart

pseudoart Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2013
    If it said "Ad-free version of the game! No irritating opt-in ads!", but didn't specifically mention banner ads, wouldn't it be weird if they were still there? Saying "ad-free" should mean ad free. *shrug*