★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Bowmasters Garbage Bin

08-16-2016, 10:02 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Bowmasters Garbage Bin

Blah

Last edited by Other; 08-16-2016 at 10:05 AM.
08-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other View Post
Pointless rant about we should not whine about the flaws and that it was only two bucks
Again, and again, and again ... you are a troll and nobody asked you.
Please proceed back below your rock.
Thank you!

Edit: Changed your comment, did you?

Last edited by RedThumb; 08-16-2016 at 10:42 AM.

08-16-2016, 01:30 PM
This place is getting truly insane.
08-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzKetup View Post
I understand the anger over the fact that you still have to watch ads to get chests, despite the fact that you paid for the ad-free "experience," but I don't think that this issue is something to request refunds over. I don't think that the devs were trying to be shady when they said it was "ad-free;" it was just poor explaining on their part. Boardum said it best: nobody was bombarded with ads, as they're opt-in only. Again, I understand why people are angry, but the issue isn't nearly serious enough to warrant refunds.
Something I'm really curious of is what was the catalyst to change the vibe around here so significantly? In like 2009-2010, if there was a bug in a game or some other weird/unexpected feature, it was pretty normal to have someone post something along the lines of "Hey I tweeted/emailed the dev and told them to come check out this thread, we'll see what they say about this bug."

Now days, and I'm not sure if this is just because of the larger outrage culture that seems to be prevailing in enthusiast gamer circles these days, but instead of any kind of common sense problem solving we just jump to these being "dirty tricks" and "shameful" while carpet bombing with one star reviews and refund requests.

I don't get it, and it's really making my own forums not fun for me anymore.
08-16-2016, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Something I'm really curious of is what was the catalyst to change the vibe around here so significantly? In like 2009-2010, if there was a bug in a game or some other weird/unexpected feature, it was pretty normal to have someone post something along the lines of "Hey I tweeted/emailed the dev and told them to come check out this thread, we'll see what they say about this bug."

Now days, and I'm not sure if this is just because of the larger outrage culture that seems to be prevailing in enthusiast gamer circles these days, but instead of any kind of common sense problem solving we just jump to these being "dirty tricks" and "shameful" while carpet bombing with one star reviews and refund requests.

I think we've all become jaded by the Free to Play model to be honest. The difference between now and back then was back then, most games we paid for outright and didn't expect to have to keep on paying and paying. Devs changed their model to make heaps more money and in doing this, they lost some empathy/sympathy from their customers.
08-16-2016, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmanj View Post
I think we've all become jaded by the Free to Play model to be honest. The difference between now and back then was back then, most games we paid for outright and didn't expect to have to keep on paying and paying. Devs changed their model to make heaps more money and in doing this, they lost some empathy/sympathy from their customers.
To be fair, for the vast majority of developers who hang around on TouchArcade still, the change to free to play was to make any money and survive. This whole super greedy dev drowning in unfathomable riches thing just largely doesn't exist for anyone other than the absolute top 0.1% of games on the App Store. There's no reason to have this attitude towards everyone else, who are really just trying to keep the lights on.

No one from King, Supercell, etc lurk on TouchArcade or care what anyone around here thinks. The developers who do still hang out here are just as interested in making players happy as they were back then. Treating both tiers of developers in the same hyper-distrustful aggressively conspiratorial way really isn't fair for anyone, and isn't accomplishing anything more than killing the forums.
08-16-2016, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post

I wouldn't say that this is the case. Here I paid money expecting the premium experience, and I should for $3 AUS.
Instead I have received a game where ads are pretty much shoved in my face. This is the same Free to play game with timers (waiting for free chests), ads advertising unlocks and coins, and more ads when you specifically try to avoid them. This is supposed to be a premium version. Zombie highway is free and not as invasive. In the SHMUP Sky Force Reloaded you pay for ad removal and then there are no ads. At all. This is what I expect from a premium game. The moment we accept ads in a premium game as normal, the devs (some, not all) will take advantage of that expectation.

Ads in this game are not a bug, they are a feature... In a paid game.

Icon is a window to game's soul...
08-16-2016, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugekava View Post
I wouldn't say that this is the case. Here I paid money expecting the premium experience, and I should for $3 AUS.
Instead I have received a game where ads are pretty much shoved in my face. This is the same Free to play game with timers (waiting for free chests), ads advertising unlocks and coins, and more ads when you specifically try to avoid them. This is supposed to be a premium version. Zombie highway is free and not as invasive. In the SHMUP Sky Force Reloaded you pay for ad removal and then there are no ads. At all. This is what I expect from a premium game. The moment we accept ads in a premium game as normal, the devs (some, not all) will take advantage of that expectation.

Ads in this game are not a bug, they are a feature... In a paid game.
The description tells you exactly what you're getting:

"Ad-free version of the game! No irritating banner ads!
3 characters included plus 3.000 coins for free!"

It specifically mentions the persistent banner ads. Every other ad in the game is opt-in only.

Sad to see yet another thread devolve into the exact same bitching and moaning about free to play stuff.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
08-16-2016, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmanj View Post
I think this is selective memory, there were tons of free to play games even back then. Also I think everyone forgets that the vast majority of free to play games fail and don't make any money at all. People always position it as this "greedy" tactic but that's simply not true.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
08-16-2016, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
The description tells you exactly what you're getting:

"Ad-free version of the game! No irritating banner ads!
3 characters included plus 3.000 coins for free!"

It specifically mentions the persistent banner ads. Every other ad in the game is opt-in only.

Sad to see yet another thread devolve into the exact same bitching and moaning about free to play stuff.
Mate, it does mention the "persistent banner ads" but fails to mention a myriad of other ads. Why should I watch an ad after every duel in order to open a chest"? Why should I watch an ad before trying a new character? I got a premium version and expect it to be entirely ad free. Why should I not expect that anymore?
Eli seems convinced that it is "just a bug" and the kind devs simply made a mistake. I fail to see how it is possible not to notice this "bug" while testing the game. I think that players have tolerance for actual bugs.

This thread devolved into a punishing slamming of devs because they tried something dodgy and failed to get away with it.

Icon is a window to game's soul...