Universal Sorcery! 4 (by inkle)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kaboobie, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaboobie

Kaboobie Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    #1 Kaboobie, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    From inkle's newsletter:

2. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    Since the game is coming out soon and at least two forum members (including myself) have been beta-testing, I wanted to get this thread started. Feel free to ask questions and I will spoiler-tag the answers.

One thing I did want to call people's attention to, which I also posted in the Sorcery! 3 thread, is this: if you took advantage of the infinite strength potion in Sorcery! 2, you will want to have a saved game without it. There is a step taken to compensate for this that adversely affects you. It is okay if you have only drunk the potion once, which is all the current version of S2 allows you to do anyway.

3. Samjt101

Samjt101 Member

May 8, 2015
    Hey Kaboobie,

Since you've been beta testing I was wondering whether we could get some insight on some of the items we've got in previous games and their level of usefulness in Sorcery! 4. For instance, many of the items in Sorcery! 3 like the heavy arrow, beard, leaves, etc, but also some older items like the Borrinskin Boots, Locket, Badge of the Noble.

Also maybe a hint at the rough amount of gold we need to buy stuff in part 4?

4. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    #4 Kaboobie, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Remember that S4 needs to be accessible to players who are starting from scratch. Take it as a general rule than any unique items from previous games may be helpful, but not essential.

I've never been a completionist with regards to unique items, but here's what I've found:

1. Locket: gives you one way out of a specific situation, but there are other ways
    2. Borrinskin Boots: same as #1
    3. Arrow: No use found
    4. Beard: No use found
    5. Leaves: Option for burning, same as in S3
    6. Badge of the Noble: No use found.

5. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    #5 Kaboobie, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    As for gold, I have made it through just fine starting with as little as 20 (which is what you get if you start as a new player). If you have all the magical ingredients that were available to collect in previous games, you're in good shape. The one that doesn't show up in S1-S3 (fire water) can be purchased for 9* gold in one place, but you can also find it for free elsewhere.

You'll be able to find more provisions for free than you can purchase, so don't worry about that, even if you only have 1-2 at the start.

There's a weapon with limited use that costs 70*, but it's not a necessary item. And there's a weapon better than the Legendary or Assassin's sword that you can buy outright for 600, but you can also trade something for it:
    the gems from the well in S3

* Price may vary depending on how much gold you start with

6. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Will you be doing any balancing to the previous games in light of S4? Seems like once you have the whole quadrilogy out there, it'd be good to tighten up the whole experience.

Would love to see you "remaster" the first two or something like that.

7. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    To clarify, I do not work for inkle, and the best way to communicate with them is through Facebook or Twitter. I'm just a beta tester willing to share my experience with the game so far.

8. BLACKFAER

BLACKFAER Member

Jul 17, 2014
    I found having 90+ gold is useful; about half way through the game there are several opportunities to gain significant amounts of gold, but it's nice to have some to spend early on. Many magic items, particularly the pearl ring and the skullcap, are really worthwhile. If you have most of the magic items and some rations, I think 10 gold is probably all you need.
    Spell counters are valuable (it is the citadel of sorcerers) but if you know or can guess them you don't need to have learned them in-game.
    previous encounters with old friends i.e. Flanker play heavily into the plot. Dadu-ley also has significance.

9. BLACKFAER

BLACKFAER Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Me too!

10. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Hey! inkle here. Just to say we're reading this, and are of course adding in easter eggs for the items @Kaboobie listed.

Enjoy the game when it lands!

cheers
    jon

11. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    Similar to counters, you don't need to have officially learned a hidden spell (added it to your spellbook) to cast it, if you have the proper ingredients.
    So you can cast the TOP spell even if you didn't visit Daddu-Ley in S1, as long as you obtain a blonde hair.

12. Analander

Analander Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
    #12 Analander, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Yeah, I'm gonna ask you to spoil the game for me. PM me the story. Who is the Archmage?

And PM me the benefits of going via Daddu-Ley. Is it worth it for me to re-play the first 3 games just for this path?

13. BLACKFAER

BLACKFAER Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Dadu-ley is not necessary, anymore than any other single choice is necessary; all the choices just give you different pathways to different ends. As far as I can tell the choices you make in all four games impact all the possible interactions to create dozens of different endings; I have only found a handful so far. I can name at least five different ways the archmage interaction plays out depending on what you have done in getting from S1 to S4. This game has to be at least twice the size of S3, or at least that's how it feels.

14. BLACKFAER

BLACKFAER Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Where did you find
    a blonde hair?

15. BLACKFAER

BLACKFAER Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Jon, you and your team are my heroes. This game is amazing.

16. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    I'll PM you.

17. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    Hear, hear!

18. sguest

sguest Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Founder/Developer
    So looking forward to this! I've been following the series and love how they've adapted it - I've still got the books lying around somewhere!

19. The_Sorceress

The_Sorceress Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    #19 The_Sorceress, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    I've been play testing and had a great time. This is a strong end to the series.

In the trailer there is mention of
    Aliizi
    from Sorcery! 3. Have any of the other playtesters found these scenes in S4?

Who or what is the small figure that
    professes love for you
    if you
    sleep in the spire in the wheat field and look at the glowing idol?

20. Kaboobie

Apr 28, 2015
    I missed that in the trailer, and I have not found those scenes!