★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Politics games

08-17-2016, 03:53 PM
#1
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 735
Politics games

Big fan of Jennifer Government- if anyone played that. (And really ought to be an app)
But I wondered other politics games:

I can think of:
Democracy 3
Reigns- this is but have to admit not a fan of
Dictator series

Are there any others?
08-17-2016, 05:37 PM
#2
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 992
Would also like some suggestions.

Do you not like Reigns? Haven't played it yet, but the concept is so cool.

08-18-2016, 09:21 AM
#3
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 735
No I didn't like Reigns, too silly, too arbitrary. A good unique approach but not for me.
09-08-2016, 02:06 AM
#4
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 735
Ok now played Dictator and that's good political one. And new one this week:
Head of State. (As long as it's not Trump..)
09-08-2016, 07:08 AM
#5
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 613
Politicats came out last week. It's a clicker, so I've gone nowhere near it, but it looks like it has fairly high production values.

Arguably, something like Twilight Struggle, a Cold War-set board game iOS conversion, is all about politics. Very highly rated, but never played it.

One game I have played, and love to bits, is King of Dragon Pass. It's a unique mish-mash of a few genres, but there is definitely a strong political element to some of the decisions you have to make.

2016 GOTY nominations (needs editing!): Crashlands, FFIX, Sky Force Reloaded, Lost Socks, Tennis Champs Returns, Teeny Titans, Human Resource Machine, Imbroglio, Retsnom, SteamWorld Heist
Comeback of the year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
09-08-2016, 11:02 AM
#6
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post
Politicats came out last week. It's a clicker, so I've gone nowhere near it, but it looks like it has fairly high production values.

Arguably, something like Twilight Struggle, a Cold War-set board game iOS conversion, is all about politics. Very highly rated, but never played it.

One game I have played, and love to bits, is King of Dragon Pass. It's a unique mish-mash of a few genres, but there is definitely a strong political element to some of the decisions you have to make.
Is Kotp too complex? Never played because it gave me that feel.
09-08-2016, 11:55 AM
#7
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrio View Post
Is Kotp too complex? Never played because it gave me that feel.
Ah, that's a tricky question in itself. King of Dragon Pass is a breeze to play, in terms of mechanics, as it simply offers you a series of multiple choices to make again and again. Think Reigns, but much deeper and more nuanced. Yet that part is still very simple, and rewarding.

The complexity comes in other elements, where it expects you to discover and read all the masses and masses of lore behind the game. You then use this information to inform the choices you make in mystic quests. It takes time, luck, memory and insight to get through these quests properly and reach a satisfactory endgame.

Or you can use a walkthrough... You'd still enjoy it!

2016 GOTY nominations (needs editing!): Crashlands, FFIX, Sky Force Reloaded, Lost Socks, Tennis Champs Returns, Teeny Titans, Human Resource Machine, Imbroglio, Retsnom, SteamWorld Heist
Comeback of the year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
09-08-2016, 12:10 PM
#8
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: California, USA
Posts: 4,475
I CAN tell you there's not much interest in any of the Donald Trump games around here! Hardly anyone seems to even check out any of the new ones that keep popping up!
09-08-2016, 12:25 PM
#9
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post
Ah, that's a tricky question in itself. King of Dragon Pass is a breeze to play, in terms of mechanics, as it simply offers you a series of multiple choices to make again and again. Think Reigns, but much deeper and more nuanced. Yet that part is still very simple, and rewarding.

The complexity comes in other elements, where it expects you to discover and read all the masses and masses of lore behind the game. You then use this information to inform the choices you make in mystic quests. It takes time, luck, memory and insight to get through these quests properly and reach a satisfactory endgame.

Or you can use a walkthrough... You'd still enjoy it!
Thanks!

I might give it a try, since people speak very higly of it. But I am a bit scared of intimidating games. Is it the kind of game that is best experienced on iPad or will I be fine on iphone 6?
09-09-2016, 06:00 AM
#10
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrio View Post
Thanks!

I might give it a try, since people speak very higly of it. But I am a bit scared of intimidating games. Is it the kind of game that is best experienced on iPad or will I be fine on iphone 6?
Think I played through it on my old iPhone 4S, so an iPhone 6 is fine. I'm sure it would look lovely on an iPad, but you really don't need the bigger screen.

2016 GOTY nominations (needs editing!): Crashlands, FFIX, Sky Force Reloaded, Lost Socks, Tennis Champs Returns, Teeny Titans, Human Resource Machine, Imbroglio, Retsnom, SteamWorld Heist
Comeback of the year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite