Any casual / puzzle game dev experienced with publishers?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by unexpect3rd, Aug 18, 2016.

1. unexpect3rd

unexpect3rd Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Mobile Game Developer (Fulltime as well as indie)
    Singapore
    Hi,

Any casual or puzzle game developers here have experienced with publishers? What range of MG would you ask for?

I have a contact with an Apple personnel for pushing my new games to for evaluation prior to release to determine if the game gets any form of featuring. With such an access, should I still depend on publisher, if one approaches?

2. fgl_sam

fgl_sam Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Engineer
    Norwich, UK
    Its a case by case situation really. The best question to ask is, do you need one?

We worked as a publishing marketplace for almost a decade with flash games, but found as the industry moved to mobile gaming, publishing became a less necessary strategy for developers.

We work with literally thousands of puzzle games, hidden object, clicker, bubbleshooter games etc, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to DM me.

3. unexpect3rd

unexpect3rd Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Mobile Game Developer (Fulltime as well as indie)
    Singapore
    Well, the necessity might not be as strong as before, say 5 years ago. But it seems like the current popular, low cost and somewhat effective way of getting downloads is via cross-promotion, especially amongst the casual games (ie, KetchApp). This is especially so when the publishing company has recently released a chart topper (again, happens a lot with these casual publishers). This is something I won't be able to pull off on my own, unless I dedicate large budgets into advertising.

[forgive me if my sentences seem incoherent]

4. TheBryanMitchell

TheBryanMitchell New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Had a #1 app in 2009. Puzzle game called Geared. Have worked with Microsoft and Activision. I recommend you go alone and get creative.