★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why do people insist that Premium is dead?

08-19-2016, 09:42 AM
Why do people insist that Premium is dead?

Almost everywhere we see people complaining about f2p and saying that mobile is doomed, since we don't have many games anymore. I think it is far from the truth. Just some games released this year: Severed! The Quest HD, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Teeny Titans, Rush Rally 2, Human Resource Machine, Hatoful Botfriend, Final Fantasy IX, Crashlands, Heroes of Normandie, Tormentum, Lost Frontier, Romancing Saga 2, Imbroglio, Titan Quest, Warbits, 9th Dawn II, Adventures of Mana, Y's 2, Momoka, Guild of Dungeoneering and many many many others.

Just this week alone we got Leap of Fate, Hero Generations, Legend of the Skyfish, Reigns. And we got some big releases planned like Death Road to Canada and Jade Empire.

We have a lot of trash? Sure. But the way people talk one might get the impression that we don't have many more games being released that we can play on a lifetime.

I am puzzled why people complain a lot, really.
08-19-2016, 09:49 AM
Complainers gonna complain!

08-19-2016, 10:12 AM
Because the Internet focuses on pessimism rather than optimism.
08-19-2016, 10:14 AM
I don't think people are calling it dead. It's just no longer the dominate payment method used.
08-19-2016, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
I don't think people are calling it dead. It's just no longer the dominate payment method used.
I have seen several people stating that premium games are almost nonexistent, the way they talk.

I think that is pretty hard to keep up with the number of premium games that are being release. Even if almost all games are horrible of f2p done wrong.
08-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankrio View Post
I have seen several people stating that premium games are almost nonexistent, the way they talk.

I think that is pretty hard to keep up with the number of premium games that are being release. Even if almost all games are horrible of f2p done wrong.
People like use a lot of hyperbole. When I first got involved in the mobile gaming scene premium games were king. Over time the percent of premium games has shrunk while f2p has grown at an exponential rate. But the premium games are not dead and I think they still have a solid place in the mobile gaming scene. What is dying is games costing more then $10 US dollars. That market had become a very niche one.

Follow me at @bitGamerX for video game news and reviews.

My favorite video game genres include adventure, board, 4X, roguelike, space sims, and strategy games.
08-19-2016, 02:01 PM
August will have so many premium releases I won't be able to buy all the ones I want.
So if that is dead, I'm not sure what alive looks like. For sure, ftp & iap games rake in much bigger profits, I don't think the room for premium dev is getting smaller.
08-27-2016, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
That's my response too. While there are definitely still some premium games, they appear to be mostly f2p/freemium. Also, many of the games that folks liked that either went freemium, or had sequels that went to freemium probably didn't help either.

IMO, there should still be plenty of premium titles for those of us who like them, but if not, or there's a game that's traditionally handheld, console, indie, or PC title that didn't make it over, I'd consider supplementing your premium experience with consoles and PC/Steam.

For Steam/PC, I got a solid 19 hours of enjoyment from Lovers In A Dangerous Time Space, and 30 from Castlestorm (of which I much preferred this to the grinding of the freemium, iOS version).

I've been playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii for many weeks on and off now, but am still only halfway through the game. There's some really great value to go back to on other platforms. Mobile is still more geared towards casual gamers.
08-27-2016, 11:25 PM
Not at all dead. The recent weeks alone provided us with fantastic premiums... Deus Ex GO, Riptide GP Renegade, Leap of Fate, Eisenhorn Xenos, Space Marshals 2, Severed, Necrodancer, Legend of the Skyfish, Journey Below and a lot more.

Sure the number is overshadowed by freemiums, but it is far from dead.
08-27-2016, 11:38 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
No friggin clue...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	29
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	106391