★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: In a small town somewhere on earth, a bunch of guys dressed in blue hate another bunch of guys dressed in red. Use your brain as well as your fingers to guide red to absolute victory. You'll need skill, you'll need cunning. You'll need to drop cars on people's heads.

Defend Your Turf is a genre-bending game - part beat 'em up, part real-time strategy and created specifically for touch screen devices.

KEY FEATURES

Easy to play, tough to master
Real-time tactical challenges
Graded 3-star difficulty across 36 levels: you will be tested
Hundreds of nervous pigeons
Use weapons and defensive cover to overcome rivals
Challenge friends with Game Center leaderboards and achievements
Original music soundtrack (headphones recommended!)
Classic 8-bit pixel-perfect retro art style
Universal app, play on your iPhone or iPad.

-------------------

More information: http://www.dytgame.com
Need help? Email: help@dytgame.com
Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/stevefolkes
08-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Here's the trailer:

And for anyone into original soundtracks you can check out the playlist over at Soundcloud

Looking forward to opinions and update suggestions!

Cheers,

Steve

08-23-2016, 11:53 AM
The trailer looks interesting. And I hate red guys. So let's do this lol

I'll post some impressions later today! Thank you!

Billy
08-23-2016, 11:57 AM
Ok,

Really quick. First I'm forced to play as red guys when before I installed I explicitly said I hate red guys. Hehehehe

The other thing right off the bat, on your first update can you please make it so that the screen will rotate. It's forcing me to play with the screen opposite the way I normally hold my device. It's not rotating.

Ok back to playing!

Billy
08-24-2016, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far Billy, sorry you can't pick a side to whack some red dudes

The rotation thing is on the list - before release it did adapt to whichever way you were holding it, but then I ran into a bug with players not logged-in to Gamecenter getting a weird change in resolution, so had to lock it down to one side.
08-24-2016, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure where the actual strategy is in the game. Is it a matter of having more red guys versus less blue guys or a matter of your guys attacking and being attacked from behind or in front or a matter of getting too close and making other blue guys start attacking?
08-24-2016, 08:16 PM
yes also not sure where the strategy comes into play, it's just selecting characters and watching ads
also having a hard time selecting the character that I want
some of them get stuck sometimes and don't move at all
08-25-2016, 04:18 AM
Strategies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGodless View Post
I'm not sure where the actual strategy is in the game. Is it a matter of having more red guys versus less blue guys or a matter of your guys attacking and being attacked from behind or in front or a matter of getting too close and making other blue guys start attacking?
Good question, hopefully I can help you out...

There is a strong element of luring individual blue guys away from the pack to out-number them; this is more of a fundamental base strategy that you'll use throughout the game (especially when taking on the bigger guys).

Other things you'll need to keep in mind/prioritise to gain advantages:

Attacking

Decide how to allocate big vs small guys. Use the big guys exclusively first to protect the little guys, or in combination for increased strength but risking the little guy taking a beating. Or you could save a big guy to mop up the dregs at the end. You'll need to work out what takes less of a hit to the team health in each situation.

Item strategies

Equip one guy with everything e.g. trashcan (armour) and metal bar (increased strength) to make a double bad-ass threat, or distribute amongst your guys giving them all a better chance of survival so you can keep attacking as a gang.

Downed reds will drop their metal bar for re-use by the next guy; something to keep in mind if you've got less bars than you have guys when it comes to pairing up for an attack.

Health kits especially should be used carefully if you're looking to three-star the later levels.

Tasers should be saved as a special gift for the big blues, don't waste them on the little guys.

Using cranes

Sometimes it might be worth sacrificing a red guy (used like fishing bait) to guarantee mashing a pack of blues at once, or you could save all reds to pick off unmashed stragglers at the risk of them collectively losing health.

More obviously you should always try and allocate bigger blues to crane attacks.

Night levels

Work out safest routes to scope out the map - some levels have items to help you that may not be immediately obvious without exploring.

Lastly, consider using the 'attack nearest' button (unlocked after level 7) as a tactic to find hidden lurkers that you can pick off more easily.

In summary

So we're not talking chess-like levels of depth to the strategy elements, but there are a few ways you can use better thinking and tactics to pull off much higher level scores

I'll also post a quick guide to level four later as I know a lot of people have been having trouble early on...
08-25-2016, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noomen View Post
yes also not sure where the strategy comes into play, it's just selecting characters and watching ads
also having a hard time selecting the character that I want
some of them get stuck sometimes and don't move at all
Hi, could you let me know what device you're using? Thanks!

You can ditch the ads (and unlock the entire game) for a single low low payment of $0.99

Last edited by stevefolkes; 08-25-2016 at 04:40 AM.
09-20-2016, 09:44 AM
Update 1.0.1 is out

Hi all,

Just to let you know update 1.0.1 is now live, thanks for all your feedback so far across various channels. Here are the update notes...

DEVICE ROTATION
This was a big one for you guys, sorry about that - all fixed!

TOUCH RESPONSE
Increased touch sensitivity across all devices.

MORE FRIENDLY HAND-HOLDING
Sprinkled more tutorial screens amongst the early levels along with friendly signposting.

TWEAKED DIFFICULTY
Made a few of the earlier levels a little bit more forgiving (c'mon people!).

EXTRA INTERESTINGNESS
Tweaked some of the earlier levels with fun stuff from the later levels - spooky night mode anyone?

BUGS
Things you hopefully never noticed are now fixed.

If you've been enjoying the game please leave a positive review to let me know.

If you haven't, get in touch and tell me how I can make it better: This forum, contact@dytgame.com or on Twitter @stevefolkes

Thanks for playing!