★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The Proliferation of "Match-3" Games

12-25-2008, 08:44 PM
The Proliferation of "Match-3" Games

I haven't counted how many "match-3" games are in the App store, but I have the feeling that this genre is one of the largest in the store. If you are a fan of these games you have near limitless options to try and play.

I myself am a fan of the genre and I am in a bind. There are simply to many good ones. Even among the limited number I have tried (Bejeweled, Aurora Fient, Klockotock, Trism) I have a hard time picking a favorite. They are all fun, and they are all different enough to be a unique game. But, to me at least, the fun lies in getting and breaking your high scores. It's really hard to get skilled at any of these games and truly go for a good score when I end up playing a different one almost every week.

Now puzzle quest has been released and it looks pretty fun just like all the rest, and I just started getting into Trism. I really wish there was simply a BEST match-3 game around that I could just get and be done with it.

Does anyone think there is a BEST one?
12-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Right now Puzzle Quest and Elasticity are my favorites.

Trism is a bit different... I'm not sure we can put it together. But it's a great game too!
12-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Puzzle Quest is by far the best.
Yeah, Aurora Feint, Bejeweled, Diamond Twister, Samurai Puzzle Battle and Trism are great games put PQ puts them all out of business.
12-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Why does puzzle quest have so few, and terrible, reviews? People keep talking about how it's a bad port. In this forum alone there seems to be at least 10 happy customers, why hasn't anyone posted a review? I understand it's a good fun game. But is it a bad port? I am huge on polish, and if a game looks unfinished in any way I get very unhappy with it and never play it anymore. I am assuming you don't think it's a bad port?

Elasticity looks like an pretty unremarkable bejeweled clone. What even makes it different?
12-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAlex View Post
Why does puzzle quest have so few, and terrible, reviews? People keep talking about how it's a bad port. In this forum alone there seems to be at least 10 happy customers, why hasn't anyone posted a review? I understand it's a good fun game. But is it a bad port? I am huge on polish, and if a game looks unfinished in any way I get very unhappy with it and never play it anymore. I am assuming you don't think it's a bad port?

Elasticity looks like an pretty unremarkable bejeweled clone. What even makes it different?
Well, to be honest I didn't care about PQ reviews. I know the game and I just purchased it. It's not perfect but it's quite there. A lot of things to do and nice graphics. It's worth to get it right now IMO.

Elasticity is a kind of a fresh Bejeweled version. Different bonus style, animations and online high score feature (including daily). I was tired of the Bejeweled sound and animations.
12-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAlex View Post

Those who call Puzzle Quest a bad port obviously haven't played it.
The only real complaint I've heard is that the text is kinda hard to read for some. I have to admit its small but still very readable.