★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is this accurate?

08-31-2016, 07:55 AM
#1
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 735
Is this accurate?

Quote:
None that I'm aware of. The thing with iOS development is that it requires a MacBook, and devs need to pay Apple $100 a year just to be on the App Store, so that puts up a significant barrier to indie app devs.
A developer developed Stately for Android and not IPhone and stated this as reason. I thought you only needed a PC, is a Mac/MacBook necessary for IOS development?
08-31-2016, 08:24 AM
#2
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbs07 View Post
A developer developed Stately for Android and not IPhone and stated this as reason. I thought you only needed a PC, is a Mac/MacBook necessary for IOS development?
I'm not a Dev, but I don't think so. Rodeo Games talked about how they made Warhammer40k Deathwatch on PC in the thread for that game.

08-31-2016, 08:41 AM
#3
Joined: Aug 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobriquet View Post
I'm not a Dev, but I don't think so. Rodeo Games talked about how they made Warhammer40k Deathwatch on PC in the thread for that game.
Before you can upload an iOS application you need to create the build file (.ipa) with Xcode which is only available for Mac.
You can also run a virtual environment, but it's much less hassle to just purchase a Mac.

P.S: We finish the builds for our iOS games on a 2008 iMac, while on a day-to-day basis we develop in Unity on Windows PCs.
08-31-2016, 08:50 AM
#4
Joined: Jul 2015
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronwoodStudio View Post
Before you can upload an iOS application you need to create the build file (.ipa) with Xcode which is only available for Mac.
You can also run a virtual environment, but it's much less hassle to just purchase a Mac.

P.S: We finish the builds for our iOS games on a 2008 iMac, while on a day-to-day basis we develop in Unity on Windows PCs.
I clearly didn't know that, thanks for the info.
08-31-2016, 08:56 AM
#5
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: Eos
Posts: 1,960
Good thread and an informative read
I was not aware of that!
08-31-2016, 12:11 PM
#6
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronwoodStudio View Post
Before you can upload an iOS application you need to create the build file (.ipa) with Xcode which is only available for Mac.
You can also run a virtual environment, but it's much less hassle to just purchase a Mac.

P.S: We finish the builds for our iOS games on a 2008 iMac, while on a day-to-day basis we develop in Unity on Windows PCs.
Ah interesting.
08-31-2016, 12:29 PM
#7
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 844
You also have to have undergone surgery to install an iHeart to pump Apple Plasma through your body to be allowed to develop for ios. Apple are the biggest control freaks since the Mongol Horde.