★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Wisp Games
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 8.4 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: * Visit our website, www.wispgames.com for game play instructions and hints.

The distant future. Space has expanded to such an extent that stars and planets can no longer hold form. Humanity still lives and works in space stations and ships, islands of light and technology in an otherwise cold and flat void.

Flatspace is a massive space exploration, combat, and trading game. Choose to play as a Trader, Scavenger, Mercenary, Bounty Hunter, Space Pirate or Police Officer. Wide open gameplay allows you to choose how you play: Trade goods to earn money, mine asteroids, capture or kill bounties, or generally wreak havoc throughout the galaxy.

- Fantastic 3D graphics and SFX.

- Dozens of ships with thousands of upgrade and equipment combinations.

- Huge space battles.

- Endless game play in a massive open world.

- BONUS! Includes an arcade mode for fast play action.
10-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Looks cool! Maybe I can trade some promos for this.

10-14-2009, 10:26 PM
It looked interesting enough for me to TOFTT -- will post early impressions soon. A note of caution: the game comes with no instructions. You need to go to the developer website (which seems to be a work in progress at the moment) to get a guide.
10-14-2009, 11:10 PM

Youtube link | Pop Up

Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
10-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Looks rather interesting. That video didn't really give anything useful and seems to have been of the "bonus" arcade mode rather than the main body of the game.

Kind of strikes me as a 2.5D Elite style game.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
10-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Anyone TOFTT?

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
10-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
Anyone TOFTT?
I just did -- I'm reading through their instructions so I can tell what the heck I'm doing. The graphics do look great in a semi-retro vector kind of way, though the menus are a bit crude. It opens up with a video that explains the basic concept: in the far, far future space has collapsed upon itself, and all that's left is flat (or 2.5 D, I guess) expanse, where survivors trade, explore, etc. Kind of a cool way to explain away the lack of a third dimension.
10-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Looks kind of like Star Control from the gameplay video, but the description in OP reminds me of Wing Commander Privateer...if anyone remembers those games from the distant past.

Monster Dice Theatre, dice-throwing kiddie fun! Get it from the App Store
Tap-Fu, everyone loves Tap-Fu fighting! Get it from the App Store
7 Cities Tower Defense - Get it from the App Store
10-15-2009, 05:23 AM
I quite like it. I'm a big fan of both Elite and Star Control, and this game has a similar feel to Elite, but without the docking nightmare! It seems to have quite a bit of depth. Controls are fine, and graphics look good (although I have to agree with squarezero about the menus).

It looks like Star Control-ish controls from the video, but it doesn't feel like it. I was practically unbeatable at Star Control, but get caned as soon as a pirate takes a fancy to me in this game. I'm looking forward to my first shield/weapon/ship upgrade, which may take a while by the looks of how slowly you earn money at the beginning.
10-15-2009, 05:25 AM
Send a message via MSN to LonERecoN
Looks interesting, but the screenshots don't 'feel' like it's a full game. A post above mentioned there are no intructions for the game. I mean seriously!

iOS Developer
Star Shooter
Star Shooter: HD
Follow me: @MattGibbard