Is AppPreviews a must?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by goldlogsh, Sep 9, 2016.

1. goldlogsh

goldlogsh Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Starting to make videos for our games. It's quite fun but also a lot to learn.Those nice AppPreviews are really attractive. But to put everything within 30 seconds and at the same time make it appealing is not an easy job.

So what do you guys think of AppPreviews/Gameplay videos? How much does a game video matter to you, as a developer/player?

Is there any videos that once turned down your interest?

Which genres of games do you think is better to be attached with a video?

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    You don't have to (nor should you) put EVERYTHING into your app. Just the core experience + 1 or 2 really cool events. Trying to cram your game into 30 seconds makes everything feel Benny Hill

3. fgl_sam

fgl_sam Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Engineer
    Norwich, UK
    Zombidle is one of my favorites and their video is pretty effective in conveying game play, tone and a call to action.

https://youtu.be/VhHb-_PjIF8

4. Meshugenah Games

Meshugenah Games Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    You can make more than one video.

Make a 30 second video that's just the core of what you want people to know about your app for the App Preview.

Then you can make longer videos (i.e. gameplay videos, tutorials etc.) and post them on YouTube or Vimeo. Put the links to those videos within the app itself and/or your twitter/facebook/instagram accounts.

5. Stencilsmith_Dev

Stencilsmith_Dev Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 6, 2016
    Developer
    I'd say it's definitely a must. To not do it would be shooting yourself in the foot. I personally am torn as to whether the best app preview is simply the best 30 seconds of straight gameplay or if going the somewhat commercial-y route is better. I'm about to change mine from the former to the latter in my next update but it's probably nearly impossible to measure whether the App Preview is hindering someone's decision from downloading your app. But definitely HAVE an App Preview!

6. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I've seen some app peviews where half the video is taken up by navigating through the menu system. That's a complete waste. You definitely want to just straight into the action.

7. goldlogsh

Aug 13, 2015

Yeah I watched the 29 seconds version for the app preview as well. Very impressive, seems that there a lot more to expect in the game. Don't know if it's like how it looks in the preview video :p Have to tried on that? Met the expectation?

8. goldlogsh

Aug 13, 2015
    Wow, thanks! Haven't thought of this. Guess I just got stuck in the 30 sec thing :p

9. goldlogsh

Aug 13, 2015
    Lol That's true.
    "While a quality video and screenshot won't do much for a bad game, a lack of video and bad screenshots could very well damage an otherwise good game."

Just make the best out of it, it will do good! XD

10. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Or it's mostly cut scenes, and no gameplay really.

11. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Yeah, that's just frustrating.

12. GameDev_Bryan

GameDev_Bryan New Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Definitely with dancj, keep any UI to a minimum if possible, even though the game play might interact with a lot of UI, you don't want to leave people feeling like that's the game. All the vids of the games I've worked on make you feel like you playing the best parts, put the biggest moments in the preview and leave the viewer wanting to get your game and pick up where it left off. Think of motion pictures, they practically spoil the picture for people in their preview, but people still pay money to see it.

Its worth it. If it converts just a small percentage of viewers in to installs and players, its worth the small investment on your end.

13. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    A bad video would turn away more than it converts. I'm hoping investments made into video previews are not *too* small.

14. GameDev_Bryan

GameDev_Bryan New Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Aye. Compare it to the effort you put into the actual game.

15. goldlogsh

Aug 13, 2015

I like your saying. It's worth it.
    As an indie. Totally.

16. MartinBoisrond

MartinBoisrond New Member

Sep 15, 2016
    Game Designer
    East London, UK
    Well yes it can be tricky to present the app under 30 seconds and make it shine. Some good editing skills are required.

Otherwise you risk undermining your store presentation overall.