Open World Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tintin888, Sep 11, 2016.

1. tintin888

tintin888 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    This is a thread where people can post any open world games they find. I am one of those people that loves exploring and open world games help me do just that!!

2. tintin888

Apr 18, 2016
    My favorite open world game so far is Stellar Horizon. You get the whole universe to explore. Every planet you can land on and traverse. It's absolutely fantastic. Then best part is it is constantly updated!

3. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    I bought Stellar Horizon months after it came out and was amazed to find out that planetary exploration wasn't originally in the game, it was added in an earlier update. Needless to say the updates have been great and significantly added to the overall experience. Certainly a great recommendation for those that enjoy exploring and space.

Another open world game I recommend is The Quest HD which is a grand old school western RPG. Spiderweb Software also make great open world fantasy RPG games, specifically the Avernum series, which are great and well worth the purchase.

4. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Brightridge is all you need...

5. tintin888

Apr 18, 2016
    Thanks! I will wait till the price drops in the quest due to its price

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Might be waiting a while...

7. kizuxtheo

kizuxtheo Active Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Male
    Translator
    Venezuela
    Is the game really 378mb, or will it download a bunch of stuff? What is the final size?

8. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #8 Dankrio, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    I would kill for an post-apocalyptic open world on iOS done right.

9. Protopop

Protopop Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    That's a great question - thanks for asking:) That's the final files size - there's no extra downloads or anything. I was surprised it was so small too, but i just think Unity (the software i made the game in) just compresses things really well for mobile, and i spent a lot of time optimizing things.

10. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    hehe thanks for the shoutout:)

Stellar Horizon looks really, really deep. What a great concept.

I'm looking forward to hearing more suggestions - i LOVE open world, especially in the palm of my hand (and I think Skyrim quality will be available in the next gen of phones:)

11. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Cataclysm - dark days ahead,now go kill that Oreo cookie.

12. tintin888

Apr 18, 2016
    I'm right with you! Stay tuned on this chat if you find out some more open world games! Skyrim's open world was fantastic! Since I will be purchasing an iPhone 7, I hope more advanced games will come out

13. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I didn't get it. Too complex for me. :(

14. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I sure hope so. The tech shpuld be probably right. The problem is that I am not sure if it would make sense financially, since people don't take mobile seriously and don't want to pay for their games.

How many would pay $60 on a game? How many would pay half of that?

15. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #15 JasonLL, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    If I had a iPad Pro and Firaxis announced a full on version of their newest Civilization game that was feature complete and if I had a strong trust in the company that they would continue to support their mobile edition like the desktop edition then I would shell out the 59.99 for the game.

Unfortunately that is just a pipe dream at the moment, and even if by some miracle the act of a genuine Civ 6 did occur, I still have little faith in 2K mobile support so I don't see it happening. Although one day, with the right game, I wouldn't mind paying a full price.

With all that said mobile, as of now, isn't a viable platform for games over a certain amount since many users of other devices still see it as a haven for cheaply made accessible experiences with money making practices that are predominantly predatory. I don't agree with that sentiment and feel there are many fantastic premium games and fair free-to-play games but those users are a sizable chunk of the premium crowd that currently feel above spending over a dollar here and there or anything at all for a "phone game". If I go to a non-android/iOS gaming message board there are many who are instantly hostile to any thought of mobile gaming or games cut from the mobile ilk.

The good news is that attitudes have been slowly changing and I firmly believe phone / tablet gaming is continually heading toward a brighter future despite the naysayers.

16. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    The Sun and Post-Brutal might scratch my itch. Who knows...

17. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Honestly as far as graphics and open world IOS games go you probably have come the closest to Skyrim especially in the graphics department.

18. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Really? It's on my radar now.

19. Protopop

Patreon Silver

Jul 21, 2014
    I totally agree about the potential with mobile quickly increasing, and yeah i noticed that too and was surprised by the hostility to this idea. I think part of the image problem is the name association: mobile = simple. I try to think of mobile abstractly as more as meaning a compact piece of computing power in whatever form.

Its just easier to slip mobile devices in your pocket. I tried that with my xbox one and not only was it a heavy hassle but i kept having to run updates, reconnecting to the network etc... while my phone just connects wherever it goes. i dont even think soon that youll need the screen - just hook it up to a tv via wireless, even plug it into the electricity, and play with a mifi controller or the device itself. All of this because the power of each generation each year is VASTLY improving. I know this because BrightRidge is a CPU intense game, and it runs soooooo much better on each device each year that the difference is pretty staggering, so i can see firsthand how different each generation is (not like im special, just because i made the game). So in whatever form it takes, having a game console that you can take with you anywhere, that updates pretty seamlessly, connects easily sounds like the form factor of the future:)

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Of course Protopop was too modest to recommend his own game Brightridge Nimian Legends, so I'll do it for him ;)

In addition to exploring a huge and beautifully crafted world, you now have a story mode that gives some background on it and the two main characters.
    Graphics-wise it blows everything else available on iOS out of the water. The world itself is fantastic and chockfull with little details everywhere.
    Even with 35 years of gaming experience, BR:NL is unique, never saw anything like it before. One of the best experiences I ever had, sharing lofty heights with classics like Planescape:Torment or King of Dragon Pass.
    Here's the TA thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=237171