★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Dusktreaders - Avoid like the Pleague!

12-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Dusktreaders - Avoid like the Pleague!

tested on 1st gen Ipod Touch 16gig
firmware 2.2

after waiting as long as I could for someone else to post their thoughts on this game, I decided to take the $4.99 plunge.

What drew me in.
1. interesting screen shots of a mideavil FPS with kingsfield like combat.
2. simple control scheme described.
3. mission based

What you actually get
1. no music
2. no sound
3. a graphics engine that looks good standing still but runs really poorly when more than 1 enemy is on screen.
3. Enemies have about 3 frames of animation
4. if you get hurt, screen just flashes red
5. if you attack screen flashes, (doesn't matter which weapon you use, same flash, and no picture of what weapon it is)
6. enemies don't move after you, they just stand in the way.
7. timed objectives that leave no time for searching (AT ALL!)
8. Busted Acelemeter controls with no ability to change

UTTER CRAP! (NOT WORTH .99)
12-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
Sorry about your bad experience, that's how it goes sometimes when you're tempted but no one has a review up yet. Happened to me with Loot Wars. I think some people were talking about this game the other day in another thread, I'm sure I've seen some of those screenshots before.

12-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by beldandy561 View Post
tested on 1st gen Ipod Touch 16gig
firmware 2.2

after waiting as long as I could for someone else to post their thoughts on this game, I decided to take the $4.99 plunge.

What drew me in.
1. interesting screen shots of a mideavil FPS with kingsfield like combat.
2. simple control scheme described.
3. mission based

What you actually get
1. no music
2. no sound
3. a graphics engine that looks good standing still but runs really poorly when more than 1 enemy is on screen.
3. Enemies have about 3 frames of animation
4. if you get hurt, screen just flashes red
5. if you attack screen flashes, (doesn't matter which weapon you use, same flash, and no picture of what weapon it is)
6. enemies don't move after you, they just stand in the way.
7. timed objectives that leave no time for searching (AT ALL!)
8. Busted Acelemeter controls with no ability to change

UTTER CRAP! (NOT WORTH .99)
Interesting. You seem to be really disappointed, or the game is just bad. I guess you have to have thought that it may be good to be disappointed.
12-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Software clearly not ready for release

Yes I did get burned.

I consider myself very non-biased but if you are going to charge $4.99 for something, you expect a certain level of quality even for the 1.0 version and this is NOT it.

example of far superior titles
dragon force - free
nicky boom - .99
space deadbeef - free
chocchocpop - .99

I believe this title should have launched (in its current state) at a (free) listing until it gets major updates to improve everthing it is, and then charge maybe 2.99 or 1.99

This game shows a total abuse of the app store, and its 0 level of quality assurance with what they sell. some accountability on the programers or apples side needs to be implimented so this kind of stuff doesn't continue to happen and paint a bad vibe for the whole App store expereince.
12-26-2008, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewstermax View Post
Interesting. You seem to be really disappointed, or the game is just bad. I guess you have to have thought that it may be good to be disappointed.
I tried it. It is actually bad. Hardly playable. I meant to go back and try again, but haven't gotten around to it.

arn
12-26-2008, 05:25 AM
Tried it on a friends iphone...pretty bad. My boy was pretty upset he spent $5 on it...I thought it was shameless of the dev to release it at that price point because it plays like a pre-beta. Garbage.
12-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the heads up, but sorry that you got burned by it. Try to hold off a little more while everyone else here posts up their own experiences, or they link some other review sites up before splashing out. So far, I've bought loads of games on this forum's recommendations, and I've yet to be disappointed. (Games such as: Rolando, Trism, Tatomic, Frenzic, MagicPad, Photogene, Fastlane, Fieldrunners, Warfare Inc, 2079, Tiki Towers and Crazy Tanks. I will shortly be buying 7 Cities once I finish off a game, as everyone's praised it to high heavens!)
12-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Bleh. I had a look at the graphic and I know this game is crap!

Thanks, to you, it's a confirmed crap. Haha!

I think, when you look at the crappy graphic, alarm bells should be rrrriinnggginnng!

A good sword remain inside its sheath
A good M16 remain in safe mode
God! So, many games n so little money!!
12-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
Thanks for the heads up on this game. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
12-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Sorry you got burned, hope you posted a review on itunes as well to prevent someone else from stumbling onto it.

Everyone talks about DS Effects being trash (not that they aren't) but at least when you buy one of their apps you are only out 99 cents.

On the positive, at least you posting here will prevent others from giving the dev another $5.