★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: X-Plane9 and Asphalt4 constantly crashing- anyone else?

09-17-2008, 09:11 AM
X-Plane9 and Asphalt4 constantly crashing- anyone else?

I think these two games are great, or at least they would be great if they didn't suffer from the same problem- they crash at seemingly random times and return you to the home screen.
With X-Plane 9, it has even crashed a few seconds after take off, yet sometimes I can be flying for a good ten minutes before it does so. One thing is for certain though- it WILL crash, every time. And the same can be said for Asphalt4 Elite Racing.
I have the latest 2.1 firmware for my iPod Touch. Before the upgrade (I only had Asphalt4 out of the two then) Asphalt would have moments of reduced framerate and would still crash, but no so frequently. Now there are no signs of slowdown, but it crashes every time I play.
All my other apps work perfectly every time.
Is this just me, or does anyone else have the same problem?
09-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh, sorry. I have already tried turning my Touch off and on again to no avail. But a second go has sorted the problem out so far (fingers crossed). I have been flying around now for 30 minutes, which is the longest it has ever lasted.

09-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah I have it too on my 1st gen iphone. It's a problem with the 2.1 firmware.

Let me rephrase, The problem is not the firmware but rather how some apps run on it. the firmware helped with a lot of apps crashing but ended up breaking quite a few as well.

Here's a thread on macrumors that is keeping track of apps that have been breaking.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=561880
09-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks for that link. That's interesting reading, although like I said, a reboot sorted the crashing for me (though now I know why the tyre screeching sound is too loud in Asphalt4, thanks to that link you gave).
09-18-2008, 03:20 AM
I had somebody contact me yesterday about my game Hiqup crashing randomly after he'd installed it. I talked him through rebooting his iPod Touch and this sorted the problem for him - there were no more random crashes. So it seems that this problem does still exist with the install procedure (it happened to me as well with an app I purchased on the app store yesterday)

It's annoying as there's a comment on the US app store for my game with a similar comment, about random crashes, and I can guarantee that it's the same issue as I know my app doesn't randomly crash because of the way it's written. Of course, I can't respond to the person who posted the comment (which is a shame as I'd like the opportunity to talk them through rebooting - this other person who contacted me didn't even know you could do that) and I can't post a comment on the app page in the US iTunes store either as I don't have an account there.

What I've done is added something into the description for my game explaining what to try if you are experiencing random crashes after installation. Hopefully that will help some people.

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
09-18-2008, 03:40 AM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
I have never had X-Plane crash on my 3G iPhone w/ 2.1. FYI.

blakespot

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]
09-18-2008, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakespot View Post
I have never had X-Plane crash on my 3G iPhone w/ 2.1. FYI.

blakespot
I think the problem is that sometimes something screwy is going on with the installation procedure and that leads to apps crashing randomly until the device is rebooted. That's what I've encountered (not just with my game) and looking at wastedyuthe, that's what he encountered with X-Plane as well. It's random and looks to me like it can happen with any app. Once rebooted, you're fine.

09-18-2008, 01:17 PM
I hope you don't mind Moopf, I have quoted what you have said on the X-Plane forum in the hope that the developers may realize they don't need to work on freeing up RAM to stop it crashing (as they think that is the cause of the crashes at the moment).

Here is the link-
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?...5&#entry380545

Thanks for your input. You do seem to be right about the reboot. I have played both X-Plane and Asphalt4 for quite a few long periods of time since rebooting and they have not crashed once, so I don't believe it is a problem with RAM at all.
09-18-2008, 01:22 PM
No problem at all! I posted a warning on the App Store forum at macrumors.com today as well and somebody there saw it and had a couple of apps crashing, did the reboot and the crashes went away. So there's definitely something not right with the installation procedure, at least in some circumstances. Doesn't seem to happen all the time, but if you've installed an app and it's crashing randomly, trying a reboot doesn't harm and it looks like it may do the trick (presuming that there's not something fundamentally wrong with the app, of course!)