What are some control mechanics that you consider the best ones for iOS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by noteatino, Sep 15, 2016.

1. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Feel free to add the game that use them and why do you think that.
    I'll will start:

-I don't like the tilt controls but on Ridiculous Fishing they nailed them! Definitely the 2D view helps, but on racing games (3D ones mostly) I really dislike those.

-Angry Birds: The pulling back controls were really well thought for using it on a touchscreen and even recent games as Bowmasters use
    them!

-The controls on Skii Yeti Montain blew my mind.
    You really feel in control of your character and when you fail, all of the times feels like it's your fault and not the game's.

-The Executive with its innovative controls helped to make it a deeper game with lots of combinations and the timing when pressing the buttons only increase the gameplay. One of my favorite titles on my iPhone!

2. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    For me, it's hard to look past The World Ends With You: Solo Remix. Incredible game anyway, for story, graphics and music, but the gameplay is also fantastic. The combat requires a combination of taps, gestures and holding down on the screen - very clever, and brilliant fun.

Generally speaking, virtual controls aren't great, but there are a few iOS games that have nailed it. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite combines swipes and tapping the screen with a virtual d-pad that does away with the multiple buttons required of physical controls. Tennis Champs Returns does a similarly good job combining swipes with the virtual controls.

Other than that, there's HoPiKo, which is a frantic, timing-based game that relies of accurate swipes - again, very clever, and brutally tough.

Then there's obviously The Room series, where the touch controls really feel like you're actually manipulating the environment.

And then there's Land Sliders, the ever popular Land Sliders. Whatever anyone may think about its GOTY status, you have to admit that they really got the controls right.

3. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Device 6 - screen orientation bringing a map sensation from the scenario is awesome. This game couldn't be played anywhere else.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Best ones IMO:

Hearthstone - Basically what you would do in real life. The controls just makes sense at a glance.

Fruit Ninja - No buttons, just does what your finger does.

Zen Pinball - Tapping left and right side of the screens is just a good representation of a real pinball table. Nudging the table in real life is also represented by shaking your phone a little bit which is pretty intuitive for what it represents.

Blueprint 3D - I believe this did it better than Shadowmatic. Shadowmatic did it very well too, but it's just a bit more complicated with its multi-part puzzles.

Colossatron - Some of the best action-puzzle games i have played, and the controls are just superb: What you want to do, the game promptly does.

TMNT Brothers Unite - Simplified one finger brawler that just plays uniquely and quite good at it.

Honorable mention:
    EPOCH.2 - The only real thing that didnt feel perfect are the on-screen buttons. They do their part perfectly, but the positioning wouldve been perfect if they at least let you reposition them. The movement and aiming controls though, are some of the most intuitive yet flawless execution for touchscreen gaming.

5. kizuxtheo

kizuxtheo Active Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Male
    Translator
    Venezuela
    I don't understand why racing games have the annoying tilt device to steer control scheme as the default one. Real Racing 3 sure needs precision turning and gladly they have a very responsive slide control to steer, but it still has the annoying tilt to steer as default.

6. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Land Sliders is such an awesome game and the controls are unique and basically they couldn't get them better!

Also, The Room is terrific! Certainly they nailed the controls to feel very natural and that helps to increase the immersion!

I really want to keep this thread getting bigger because I consider really important putting the best examples of games with the best control mechanics as a guide to some developers that create great games but the control side I think is the most difficult to accomplish and that's a huge dislike due to users don't fully connect with the game. So basically feel free to add the games that you remember nailed the control scheme.

Sorry if there are some typos, English is not my native language.

7. Meshugenah Games

Meshugenah Games Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    In general, I like games that squeeze or shoot avatars through a tight space with a simple gesture.

Color Switch uses tapping and Blitz Breaker uses swiping but the objectives are somewhat similar.

I think the appeal is that you tap or swipe and then wait in anticipation whether your avatar makes it through or not.

8. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Still love Wayward Souls controls - i actually prefer the touch controls to MFi but my favourite controls in iOS to date is Minotaur Rescue - once they click they click. I even used to play it with my iCade but Minter's touch controls here where you used swipes almost like a virtual roller-ball (with my description doing it no justice) were just fabulous.
    Oh, and Mikey Shorts and Hooks have fantastically tight platformer/speedrunner controls. The precision you could get was unbelievable.

9. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #9 ROGER-NL, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    The Cut the Rope series are still my favorite and most fun mechanics out there.

I have only two games on my Ipad now, there very fresh and elegant, one is RUBEK and the other is TWISTED LINES, puzzle lovers are in for a treat with these two games.

Oh one thing screw Gamecenter.

10. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Zen iz something else! When i can hold the ball to set up my shots and there iz no movement i feel a lil more Arcadey#

Colossatron gets very hectic real quick and stays that way

Something about Mad Robot's control scheme is Amazing to me to be so simplistic

Side Scrollers wit only two directional buttons= left button slightly higher than right

Vritra= there iz a TouchArcadian that noticed the options made a significant difference 4 relative. This needs to be standard 4 side scrolling Shmupz

11. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    The controls for MHFU work perfectly for a game that conplex and skill based

12. Hedron Engineer

Hedron Engineer Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I like when you can tap enemies so your avatar will fire at them while you can focus on movement. It worked better imo when movement was controlled by virtual stick in THE Silver Bullet than tap to move in Tiny Troopers. The latter caused mistaps when I wanted to move but accidentally tapped a firing target.