★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Do you develope exclusively for iOS?

09-15-2016, 06:37 PM
#1
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Do you develope exclusively for iOS?

I am getting ready to publish my first game. It is an ios game. Trying to decide if I should take the time to code it for android as well or move on to the next ios game. I am wondering how many of you develope exclusively for ios and ignore android, and if so what drove that decision?
09-15-2016, 08:19 PM
#2
Its easier to port games to both iOS and Android if you use a game engine like Unity.

I made my first apps with Cocos2d. However, I got disillusioned with it because it seemed like every Xcode or iOS update would break things in my apps. I felt like I was developing on a platform that was as stable as quicksand.

When Apple released SpriteKit, I made the switch because it seemed safer for my apps. I haven't had any major problems with updates breaking my apps since making the switch. BUT it does make it harder to port to Android if you have to code for two separate platforms.

I've decided to develop exclusively for iOS because it feels more stable to use SpriteKit for the moment, but if one of my apps actually becomes successful then I wouldn't hesitate to make an Android version.

09-16-2016, 12:31 AM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zq7r View Post
I am getting ready to publish my first game. It is an ios game. Trying to decide if I should take the time to code it for android as well or move on to the next ios game. I am wondering how many of you develope exclusively for ios and ignore android, and if so what drove that decision?
I published my first iOS game earlier this year and it is strictly iOS at this point. I highly recommend reading Amir Rajan's book "Surviving the App Store", as he writes very candidly about iOS and Android in terms of differences between the two. The short story is it seems that it depends on the pricing model of your game. Premium games don't appear to do as well on Android because their user base expect games to be on the F2P model even moreso than iOS gamers. I'm probably over generalizing his message but that's my takeaway for the most part. In the end it's up to you. Good luck!

I designed & developed STENCILSMITH for iOS | New Website | Twitter | Facebook
09-16-2016, 04:16 AM
#4
Joined: Jun 2016
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 39
I personally think you'd be crazy to not release on as many platforms as possible.

You're reducing your potential market by so much, and picking a winner in this industry is getting harder and harder to get right. It may be your game or app bombs on iOS, it might work really well on Android, and vice versa. Android can cover more than the google play too. I've seen games that make very little money in app store or google play do really well on Amazon Underground.

Try to pick an engine that works well cross platform, and put in that small amount of effort to keep both working through updates.

Enhance by FGL.

Automated SDK Integration with zero code.
09-16-2016, 10:36 AM
#5
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Stencilsmith,

Yes at the moment I think I will go with the premium model, which means I am leaning towards ios only. I have read that piracy on Android is rampant.
09-16-2016, 02:41 PM
#6
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 845
Is "develope" when you run off to Gretna Green and write code?
09-16-2016, 07:56 PM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zq7r View Post
Stencilsmith,

Yes at the moment I think I will go with the premium model, which means I am leaning towards ios only. I have read that piracy on Android is rampant.
Don't fool yourself, if you come up with an idea worth stealing, it will be stolen on iOS as well and probably brought to Android on top of it. I wouldn't let concerns of others taking your idea and running with it determine which platform you choose. Good luck!

I designed & developed STENCILSMITH for iOS | New Website | Twitter | Facebook
09-16-2016, 10:50 PM
#8
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stencilsmith_Dev View Post
Don't fool yourself, if you come up with an idea worth stealing, it will be stolen on iOS as well and probably brought to Android on top of it. I wouldn't let concerns of others taking your idea and running with it determine which platform you choose. Good luck!
By piracy I didn't mean other developers cloning my game, I'm referring to players who steal the game and don't pay for it. I'm not worried about cloning.
09-17-2016, 05:18 PM
#9
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 247
We have a game that's premium on iOS and ad-supported on Android, and this ended up working quite well.
09-18-2016, 06:52 PM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zq7r View Post
By piracy I didn't mean other developers cloning my game, I'm referring to players who steal the game and don't pay for it. I'm not worried about cloning.
Call me naive, but how would one steal an iOS game? Are you referring to activity related to jailbroken devices?

I designed & developed STENCILSMITH for iOS | New Website | Twitter | Facebook