★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: *** Includes spoilers from episode 1 & 2 ***
To watch go to RedDwarfonDave.co.uk

Red Dwarf XI : The Game is an action-packed mobile game that ties in with series XI of the multi-award winning TV show.

Take command of the mining ship Red Dwarf and follow the characters on a journey through deep space,trying to find earth. The game mirrors the episodes within the series and contains additional content written by Doug Naylor specifically for the game.

For the first time ever, fans and friends can now play in the Red Dwarf Universe on the App Store anytime, anywhere!

Experience an explosive mix of arcade, strategy and action games while journeyingthrough deep space. Unlockmore games as the story unfolds,collecting special items and ultimately upgrading your ship. With a wide range of varied experiences,from blasting yourway through an asteroid field, to trying to master Starbugs complex control panels. This game sets out to be the most advanced and compelling Red Dwarf mobile game to date.

Progress through the game, unlock more content and achieve anoverall score, ranked alongsideother players worldwide.

*** Frequent free updates will be released as the series progresses, mirroring the storylines featured inthe episodes. ***
09-23-2016, 09:20 AM
So, I've been eagerly anticipating the release of this Red Dwarf game because I LOVE Red Dwarf, and it really has needed a mobile game for iOS. I used to play a shooter called Red Dwarf: Simulants Revenge on my old flip phone, but this is the first RD game for smartphones I believe.

So, after waiting so long to finally see a Red Dwarf game on iOS, I'm a little conflicted. Personally, I had hoped for a game similar to Space Miner. But instead of always mining, maybe exploring and finding junk. Anyway, that RPG almost-endless progression was something I really wanted... Let's equate that to Wilma Flinstone. That's what I wanted.

However, this game is full of many different gameplay mechanics, sticks strictly to the new episodes (only the first is available for me at the moment), and has some pretty rough controls. I'd say this version is kind of like Betty Rubble... As the Cat has said, "I would go with Betty, but I'd be thinking of Wilma."

As a fan of the show, I'd say that the episodes within the game are well written and the story is top-notch because it adheres to the story in the show. But even though we get a voice-acted text open, the rest is just dialogue with static images telling the story. I don't mind that so much. But the gameplay is all over the place. From a on-rails shooter where my finger got really tired, to Simon Says button pressing, to stealth walking sections, to terrible walking/shooting moments (just not a fun shooting mechanic), to terribly controlled stealth driving sections.

Honestly, thinking back on all of the episode I've played so far, I think on it fondly because I love Red Dwarf that much. However, if it didn't have the characters or IP of Red Dwarf, I don't think I'd play it. But being a fan, I will take Betty by the hand... and just keep on thinking of Wilma.

Just wish the theme song was in there somewhere... or any recognizable music really.

If you're a fan, I hope you support the game too. With enough support, maybe we could see a more general Red Dwarf game in the future.

TeamShides
@curtneedsaride
MHFU - Shides

Last edited by curtisrshideler; 09-23-2016 at 09:54 AM.

09-23-2016, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisrshideler View Post
So, I've been eagerly anticipating the release of this Red Dwarf game because I LOVE Red Dwarf, and it really has needed a mobile game for iOS. I used to play a shooter called Red Dwarf: Simulants Revenge on my old flip phone, but this is the first RD game for smartphones I believe.

So, after waiting so long to finally see a Red Dwarf game on iOS, I'm a little conflicted. Personally, I had hoped for a game similar to Space Miner. But instead of always mining, maybe exploring and finding junk. Anyway, that RPG almost-endless progression was something I really wanted... Let's equate that to Wilma Flinstone. That's what I wanted.

However, this game is full of many different gameplay mechanics, sticks strictly to the new episodes (only the first is available for me at the moment), and has some pretty rough controls. I'd say this version is kind of like Betty Rubble... As the Cat has said, "I would go with Betty, but I'd be thinking of Wilma."

As a fan of the show, I'd say that the episodes within the game are well written and the story is top-notch because it adheres to the story in the show. But even though we get a voice-acted text open, the rest is just dialogue with static images telling the story. I don't mind that so much. But the gameplay is all over the place. From a on-rails shooter where my finger got really tired, to Simon Says button pressing, to stealth walking sections, to terrible walking/shooting moments (just not a fun shooting mechanic), to terribly controlled stealth driving sections.

Honestly, thinking back on all of the episode I've played so far, I think on it fondly because I love Red Dwarf that much. However, if it didn't have the characters or IP of Red Dwarf, I don't think I'd play it. But being a fan, I will take Betty by the hand... and just keep on thinking of Wilma.

If you're a fan, I hope you support the game too. With enough support, maybe we could see a more general Red Dwarf game in the future.
You had me at Red Dwarf!

Smeg head!

Coordinator @ Fat Thunder
Fatthunder.com
facebook.com/fatthunder
twitter.com/fat_thunder
09-23-2016, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrco View Post
You had me at Red Dwarf!

Smeg head!
Smoke me a Kipper!

TeamShides
@curtneedsaride
MHFU - Shides
09-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Ace Rimmer reporting for duty!
09-24-2016, 02:58 AM

I thought it was a sky shooting game. But it has different modes. I like the second level. But it needs improvements. Cannot go back and shooting is terrible. It need some improvements.

GAME CENTER ID: TECHZAMAZING
09-24-2016, 03:39 AM
Ahh man this brings back great memories. It seems like they should've focused on one particular gameplay aspect instead of trying to put a bunch into one, which made them all "not so good".

TOP5: Chaos Rings 3 / Monster Hunter Freedom Unite / The World Ends With You / Kingdom Rush Series / Implosion
My Artwork: http://pixiv.me/raidriar
09-24-2016, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisrshideler View Post
Smoke me a Kipper!
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back when this one is free. Looks terrible, shame, I'm a big fan of the show.

I had a Kipper t-shirt back in the day.

The girls threw themselves at me.
09-24-2016, 04:42 AM
Well, there's already an update that says it touches on some of my problems with the first episode, including the controls and that driving section.

I am very thankful they made so many parts to each section, so we don't have to do the whole flying/shooting section again if we missed the last part. We just have to do that part again.

But it is a bummer we can't just explore a section of 3D space and shoot or loot things. That would be a fun free play mode that we could play when waiting for each episode OR after they're all done.
09-24-2016, 05:03 AM
Well, here's my Red Dwarf page. Just to let any other fans know, the old soundboard and Dibblifier do not work on iOS 9. I imagine 10 doesn't help them and we'll see Apple remove them soon. But if you've bought them like me, at least the free Tension Sheet offers a little relief! But the new Red Dwarf XI definitely has the best icon anyway. Just wish we could buy the actual new episodes on VUDU or iTunes so we could watch it here in the States.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	107055  

TeamShides
@curtneedsaride
MHFU - Shides