★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Can graphics effects trigger migraine?

09-24-2016, 02:59 AM
Can graphics effects trigger migraine?

Dear all,

I'd be interested in some feedback on a potential issue that's been raised with one of my games. Although the game is not a fast-action game with rapid movement (it's a series of solitaire games!), I recently added some SpriteKit particle effects to show things like the path of moving cards or to highlight card selection. Since then I have had a request to "remove the flashing dots as it gives me migraine". (As I say, they're not so much "flashing" as a sprinkling particle effect.) Have any other game designers heard about this issue?

Thanks for your input!
09-26-2016, 03:54 AM
If it's easy enough, why not introduce it in the settings of the game "particle effects on/off".

I don't think it's a common thing, but even 2 minutes googling shows several threads regarding headaches and particle effects in games. Mostly from desktop gaming, but I suppose the game could apply to tablet.

Enhance by FGL.

Automated SDK Integration with zero code.
09-29-2016, 11:36 PM
Look at the dizziness VR affects for some people!
10-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Just my two cents, I some times get migraines, and I've cornered it to when me eyes jump from digital screens to bright sunlight, like exspeciallly with a window near a tv while I use my cell. Or someone opens a door into a dark room. The bad ones, for me have happens when sunlight is introduced into my vision when I'm using my digital toys. Anyhoo, keep developing guys, I'm just a user and a tester, but games have been a wonderful part of my life I really don't like giving up, like when one of those migraines kicks in.