★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: You are an author trying to finish kitschy paperback novels. Complete Westerns, Science Fiction, Romance or even a Crime Noir. Live the dream and maybe pay the bills.

Word-building meets deck-building in the unique game Paperback. Players start with a deck of letter cards and wild cards. This is like their own bag of scrabble tiles. With each hand of cards you make a word and score it. This score is how much money you have to purchase more cards for your deck. Collect cool letters with abilities, such as drawing more cards or double word score. Buy Novel cards to gain fame points to win the game!

Here's what people have said about the hit boardgame that is in it's fifth print run:

"I've had this game for a month or two now and I honestly believe it to be one of the best games of the year." - HeirToPendragon

"It seems impossible that this game didn't exist before 2014. So simple and so much fun to play!"
- Crystal Pisano

Features:
Hotseat play with up to 4 players
3 levels of AI opponents
Tons of cool card powers
Classic pulp novel artwork
Win with wordsmithing or power combos - up to you!

Keep your eye out for updates - online multiplayer coming soon.
09-27-2016, 02:54 PM
Loving all the traditional (and non-traditional) board games coming to digital!
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/141572/paperback

Last edited by dalbertson; 09-27-2016 at 03:01 PM.

09-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Actually bought a physical copy recently, but haven't had a chance to play it yet, lol.
09-27-2016, 05:20 PM
Was waiting for this to hit! I'm downloading but it's late here so I'll check it tomorrow.
Does it allow for multiplayer co op as well in hotseat, or only competitive? I believe the physical version had both options.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-27-2016, 05:36 PM
I can't resist the combination of my two favorite things ...books and games!
I'm also curious will this be mainly multiplayer/pvp ? I tend to prefer single player/campaign card games, unless the multiplayer is not connected to social media(FB).
Regardless this looks really interesting, hope to see some reviews/first impressions

Last edited by Beth; 09-27-2016 at 05:39 PM.
09-27-2016, 05:38 PM
I love these day-early releases. This game along with Zip Zap are gonna make my Tuesday night more enjoyable

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
09-27-2016, 06:14 PM
Downloaded looks like a nice implementation. Tutorial was a light set of overlay instructions, left a few things out, but the game is nit complex, so the rest is pretty obvious.

Only single player vs AI at the moment. Multiplayer is described as coming soon.

Damn.. I have this, and Frost, and 60 seconds... and I should be asleep....
09-27-2016, 07:37 PM
Between this and frost....

I wish this game was portrait. But it's really good.
I'd like the AI turn to go just a bit faster.
09-27-2016, 07:40 PM
Normally I would be reserved over a board game port, but this is a great implementation of a great game! Very slick!
09-27-2016, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorarchitekt View Post
Between this and frost....

I wish this game was portrait. But it's really good.
I'd like the AI turn to go just a bit faster.
Very different experiences. Paperback is a much "lighter" experience, but has the option for hot seat play and is the better choice to just crack open an app and have some fun for a few minutes.

Frost is way heavier, both in terms of tone and also depth and a better choice if you are looking for something where you are going to agonize over every choice and struggle to survive.

Only played the PC demo of frost so far and one quick round of paperback, but the quick take for me is that both are worth the money if they appeal to you. This isn't an "either or" type of choice because they are so different (but if you can only afford one, see the above).