★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Burly Men at Sea is a folktale about a trio of large, bearded fishermen who step away from the ordinary to seek adventure.

Set in the waters of early 20th-century Scandinavia, the game's story branches through a series of encounters with creatures from folklore. You play as storyteller and wayfinder, shaping the narrative around three ungainly heroes. Play through once for a single tale, then set sail again to uncover paths to new adventures.

"5/5" TIME

"9/10" Pocket Gamer

Its a tiny-but-then-not-tiny, lovely thing with so much character and a wonderful sense of adventure. Rock, Paper, Shotgun

BRANCHING STORY: Play through multiple adventures, each designed to be completed in a single sitting.

INTERACTIVE WORLD: Shape the narrative through interaction with characters and the world around them, set inside a draggable, interactive vignette.

PLAYFUL AESTHETIC: Colorful art style with handcrafted animation, set to a whimsical original soundtrack inspired by the games Scandinavian setting.

No in-app purchases or ads.

Burly Men at Sea is the second game from husband-and-wife team Brain&Brain, developed during their own adventures as nomads and erstwhile farmhands.
09-29-2016, 04:10 AM

09-29-2016, 06:17 AM
This game is so stylish and charming. Makes me think of Simogo's stuff. It's been light on puzzles so far, but has also surprised me several times, so I'm eager to find out what else it has up its sleeves. Between my first two videos, I saw three voyages and it looks like there's room for maybe a total of 10 or so?

09-29-2016, 09:34 AM
So I wasn't sure earlier if it was linear or my choices made a difference. It does indeed appear that you can change the outcome based on your actions. It's like Stanley Parable, but the game remembers your past voyages. Really enjoying it now, as there is a very big puzzle element to it.
09-29-2016, 12:34 PM
I've only had chance to play the first 10 minutes or so but it's a wonderful stylish thing so far - very much looking forward to playing more.
09-30-2016, 09:39 AM
This is a beautiful game. I can't believe it is not getting more attention here.
09-30-2016, 10:07 AM
This game has a pace problem.

It is a beautiful adventure game with easy controls. But every time you die trying a new way or fall back in an old end, you have to go through a one or two minute long death animation or reincarnation animation. This kills the "lets give it a next try"-moment. Also once seen cutscenes or scene fades should be 4xfaster in a replay-session. This would help a lot to keep down the fustration factor of playing and seeing the same again and again.
09-30-2016, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdog1 View Post
This game has a pace problem.

It is a beautiful adventure game with easy controls. But every time you die trying a new way or fall back in an old end, you have to go through a one or two minute long death animation or reincarnation animation. This kills the "lets give it a next try"-moment. Also once seen cutscenes or scene fades should be 4xfaster in a replay-session. This would help a lot to keep down the fustration factor of playing and seeing the same again and again.
Agreed. There's a particularly long ending that was entertaining the first time I saw it -- second time, not so much. I think that's where I decided to take a break for a while. I don't think I got an ending twice before that.

It's possible they don't want us to try and get all the endings in a short amount of time? But that's just how I play games. I'm giving it more time today, but I don't feel that eagerness I did earlier on.

(Btw, not sure you know that you can interrupt the game and go back to the village. But if you get a repeat ending that isn't a repeat of an entire voyage, you wouldn't want to do that.)

Edit: The dev confirmed that the Back to Village option is borked at the moment, so err don't use it until it's fixed.

Last edited by AppUnwrapper; 09-30-2016 at 01:18 PM.
10-01-2016, 07:06 AM
unique Gameplay
Something new...