★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: An immersive, narrative experience that retells Joel Greens 4-year fight against cancer through about two hours of poetic, imaginative interaction that explores themes of faith, hope and love.

"This is where we go to remember our son Joel, up through here along this path. We want to show you who he was, and how his life changed us. Can we walk here together for a while?"

A videogame developer's love letter to his son; a memorial to Joel Green; an interactive tribute to the loved ones of over 200 of our Kickstarter backers. Can you find hope in the face of death?

Gameplay:
Using a mix of first-person and third-person perspective, and simple point-and-click interaction, we invite the player to slow down, look around, and immerse themselves in this deeply personal memoir.

Featured in:
NY Times, NPR, Wired Magazine, Radiolab, Reply All Podcast, The New Yorker, The Guardian, and many others

Reviews:
"I think it might have changed me in some way that I'm yet to fully understand." -Polygon

"That Dragon, Cancer is probably the most sophisticated example of compelling storytelling Ive ever witnessed in a video game." -Forbes

"A remarkable piece of work that challenges everything I thought I knew about grief, hope and faith." -The Telegraph
10-06-2016, 08:10 AM
This is not the first time on the forum that I've mentioned that Cancer is a topic that hits too close to home for me, so I'll be buying this to support the developers.

That said, I'm already very familiar with the game and don't know if I'll ever get around to downloading it (since it's so big!), but I urge everyone to check it out. It's extremely personal, extremely heartfelt and something you seldom see in the world of gaming.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

10-06-2016, 08:42 AM
I played a bit of this on console and was thinking the whole time that it would be such a good fit for touch screens. Glad it finally made it over. Now to just make room for it...
10-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Watching the trailer is enough to make me crying I have two children I can't imagine how big is the pain to loose one of them... My condolences to the parents...
10-06-2016, 11:09 AM
I backed this "game" at kickstarter some time ago. Glad it made its way finally to iOS! May the memory on this boy stay forever.
10-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemessie View Post
Watching the trailer is enough to make me crying I have two children I can't imagine how big is the pain to loose one of them... My condolences to the parents...
Yes, same here. On one hand, I know this will be hard for me to go through just based on my reaction to the trailer and to reading about the game, but I have been following the game for so long and have always been captivated by the premise behind it, and by these parents making this happen.

I have bought it and deleted stuff from my phone to get space for it. Let's see how that goes now...
10-06-2016, 12:59 PM
If you want to see what it plays like on iOS, I recorded some gameplay. The controls are a little wonky sometimes, but I still prefer them over PC/controller. Also, not sure if the graphic settings actually work. On my Air 2, it's set to Good and doesn't seem to stick when I change it to Fantastic. Maybe someone with a Pro or iPhone 7 can try it? Still, the game looks pretty impressive even on Good.

Btw, for those worried about space -- the game has all chapters unlocked from the beginning, so you don't need to worry about keeping it on your device.

Last edited by AppUnwrapper; 10-06-2016 at 01:23 PM.
10-07-2016, 01:58 AM
I bought and completed this game on Steam. It was interesting, and I really admired the first half of it but its overt religious themes were just a bit much for me towards the end.. I'm not saying it shouldn't be this way, it's the vision and story of the creator after all, I just found myself being unable to relate so it lost its emotional connection with me. So yeah, if religion isn't your thing, you might leave feeling a bit underwhelmed. Either way, it's a heartbreaking story with a nice aesthetic.
10-07-2016, 04:53 AM
Ooooo, I've wanted to play this for a long time... 3650 MB???? *_*

That being said this looks beautiful, it's on my wishlist, and whenever in the future I get a new device this will be one of the first things I download and play.
10-07-2016, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai View Post
I bought and completed this game on Steam. It was interesting, and I really admired the first half of it but its overt religious themes were just a bit much for me towards the end.. I'm not saying it shouldn't be this way, it's the vision and story of the creator after all, I just found myself being unable to relate so it lost its emotional connection with me. So yeah, if religion isn't your thing, you might leave feeling a bit underwhelmed. Either way, it's a heartbreaking story with a nice aesthetic.
Yeah I heard that and it was actually one of the reasons I didn't buy it on PC. But at $5 and on iOS, I wanted to give it a chance. Haven't gotten to that point yet, though.