★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: [Soft Launch CA] The Elder Scrolls: Legends (by Bethesda)

10-07-2016, 04:26 AM
[Soft Launch CA] The Elder Scrolls: Legends (by Bethesda)

The Elder Scrolls: Legends

Bethesda
Genres: Games Card Strategy
Free

Quote:
***PC Gamer Best of Show Nominee - E3 2016***
***Game Informer Best in Show Nominee – E3 2016***
Daily Dot “A solid, fun, well-designed card game”

The Elder Scrolls: Legends™ is a new strategy card game based on the world and lore of the award-winning Elder Scrolls series. Play for hours or minutes across many game modes that are easy to learn but challenging to master.

PLAY ON YOUR OWN
Story mode provides hours of solo gameplay in which you’ll earn new Legends cards, decks, and packs. Or draft a deck from scratch and battle a series of computer opponents.

PLAY AGAINST OTHERS
Test your decks against friends, challenge online opponents in ranked play, or draft a deck from scratch and battle other players who have done the same.

PICK YOUR BATTLES
Legends gameplay features a divided battlefield with “lanes” that deepen your strategy options.

LEVEL UP!
You can upgrade certain cards in Legends by winning games with decks that contain them. Level up your cards to improve your decks, give you more flexibility, and tailor them to your play style.

Supported Devices:
  • iPad2Wifi
  • iPad23G
  • iPadThirdGen
  • iPadThirdGen4G
  • iPadFourthGen
  • iPadFourthGen4G
  • iPadMini
  • iPadMini4G

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 7.1

Download Size: 1GB

10-07-2016, 12:16 PM
A great port of a great game. I prefer this over HS, Shadowverse, Duelyst, and Faeria (at the moment).

The arenas are crazy fun (and you can even do solo arenas against bot opponents with great rewards), and the port includes all of the functionality of the PC game.

The beta "starter bundle" is available for the same price in both the iOS and PC apps, so if you're a U.S. player that cannot make purchases in this soft-launched CA app, just download the PC version, buy the bundle there, and it will reflect immediately in the iOS version.

10-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel View Post
A great port of a great game. I prefer this over HS, Shadowverse, Duelyst, and Faeria (at the moment).

The arenas are crazy fun (and you can even do solo arenas against bot opponents with great rewards), and the port includes all of the functionality of the PC game.

The beta "starter bundle" is available for the same price in both the iOS and PC apps, so if you're a U.S. player that cannot make purchases in this soft-launched CA app, just download the PC version, buy the bundle there, and it will reflect immediately in the iOS version.
That worked! Thanks for the tip.
10-08-2016, 10:57 AM

It was a total surprise. Everyone must try, it is free. I think it is same as PC version.

GAME CENTER ID: TECHZAMAZING
10-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Ohhh I thought it was coming to iPhone too
10-09-2016, 09:39 AM
It's still coming to iPhone. They are just launching iPad first.
10-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Anyone else having crashing problems? After every match I get the rewards and when it cuts to the story it crashes. I open the app again, play the next match and crash. Rinse, wash, repeat. IPad mini first gen.
10-13-2016, 07:14 PM
This soft launch iPad only?
10-18-2016, 06:43 AM
So, I fired up the Legends PC beta a few months back expecting to mutter a bit and grumble under my breath and curmudgeon ever so slightly, musing pointedly over the halcyanide days of TCGs, telling anyone who would (prefer not to) listen how a larger number of pre-determined mechanics and play phases and victory conditions, longer text blocks on cards, inter-turn responses, more flexible deck building, manual and non-linear mana buildup and so many other artifacts of a dead design paradigm all contribute a much broader scope and higher skill cap and depth as well as width of strategy and creates a greater space for the unexpected and reactive play which in turns place much higher demands on pre-emptive deck construction and...

...all that fun, jazzy stuff the chat log of any attempt to reinvigorate a genre should fill up with, to ensure that players new to the phenomenon never quite feel they are getting the whole experience.

And I still think I was kinda right. But there was very little grumbling. Here's why:

TESL is not the second coming of the digital CCG. And for those of us who are still huffy over the absence of the sadistically intricate TCGs of the lost age of dreams, Legends will not fill that masochistic void.

But it might tide you over until FFG announce a digital LCG client to go with the L5R refresh at Gen Con Indy 2017 (which, as implausible as it sounds, it still a better bet than Wizards fixing up Magic Duels). And perhaps beyond that.

Because more than any other proud clone in denial before it - yes, even the game I previously said did this more than any other proud clone in denial before it - TESL mixes up the formula with mechanics and design that adds not only a more open-ended space for strategy and variety beyond the safe and comfortable but extremely confining walls of of stone and hearth, but also a solid chunk of tactical depth that even 90s design apologists such as myself can appreciate.

We’re still auto-incrementing mana and drawing one measly card by the turn. We are still left to stare in vain and spam emotes when our opponents act. We still win by melting face. We still focus most of our efforts on putting beasties on the board. And the random is still strong with this one.

But text blocks are a little longer, effects are a little more plentiful and mechanics more intricate, deck construction is a good bit more flexible, there is an actual graveyard to rob, there are more persistent board effects, and many summons do a little bit more than just claw madly at whatever is in front of them.

Oh, and there are lanes and runes and prophecies, the first two of which actually contribute to the fun. I’ll leave the pleasure of discovery to you. I don’t actually consider them the real source of Legends appeal and staying power. But they do help prevent steamrolling and facilitate comebacks, and alleviate several smaller issues inherent to the simple digital CCG paradigm.

As a result of all the above, cards do some more stuff, decks are less predictable, interactions are a bit less formulaic, randomization is just a bit less random, synergies are more synergetic and both harder and more rewarding to achieve, there are more venues for board control, counter strategies and combos, and there is a general sense of freedom of choice and consequence of skill that elevates Legends above all other digital CCGs of the same archetype.

Or in other words: you don't always go face.

And boy, how good it is to not always go face.

And there is actual free single player content with a consistent narrative. And lore and atmosphere that make *some* sense, and do this without being completely awkward *all* of the time (and that are rooted in one of the most thorough, feature-complete, rich, detailed, well-penned and enthusiastically narrated computer games settings in history, the highest of low bars). And presentation that yields nearly as much immersion as any competitive online CCG ever will (Duelyst immerses just a bit harder, though).

And there is a single player arena/draft mode. And achievable titles and ranks and more ranks and card rewards for placement and oh, my.

In-currency/card gain - while not the altruistic charity initiative of Duelyst - is more generous than the norm, chiefly thanks to a higher cap on daily win rewards. But also thanks to the quite generous single player campaign.

I can’t think of anything there is less off but the cards themselves (for now). But the fact that I don’t even notice bodes well for Legends’ design principles. And for us that enjoy them.

The iOS-specific interaction elements of the tablet port are smooth and pro, and the rest of the client is exactly like the PC version, looks and feel and UI (which is a good thing, unless you have a clinical addiction to bright colours and things that make funny noises when you prod them). I so do hope Dire Wolf don’t take cues from Blizzard’s inexplicably antagonistic decision to have us tap our hands before we can drag cards from it on the iPhone.

Too long, would have preferred a BuzzFeed video: Not quite but also not quite not Hearthstone. But with wider and deeper strategy, smarter and smoother UI, more and more fun stuff to do, greater requirements AND tactical rewards for skill, fewer but better cards, quite possibly less random, lore that is actually mostly coherent and immersion that occasionally actually immerses.

Yea, yea, not even this trumpian wall of text can blind neither myself nor you to the reality of endangered elitism: we will still ramble with badly hidden snobbery in forums about just how good card games could have been if every dev catered to our miniature market segment, until Fantasy Flight finally gets their stuff together and risk their good name and full coffers on the very dubious assumption that a format based around the personal meeting and hardcore enthusiasm will translate into a digital realm already dominated by the accessible. The pinnacle of Hearthstone permutations such as Duelyst and Legends still only represent the bare minimums in mechanical complexity and variety our marginalized, basement-bound group of game design misanthropes require to invest time, money, sentiment and all functions thereof into a competitive online card game.

But if Counterplay can just hurry up that iOS port, Legends and Duelyst might almost make us forget a time when we were samurai, pirates, netrunners and mad with possibility...

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 11-28-2016 at 09:59 AM.
10-27-2016, 03:50 AM
This Reddit post does a good job of presenting TESL's case to veterans of Hearthstone and other digital CCGs.

For those who are still unspoiled by the cCCG pandemic, there has probably never been a better time to start, and likely not a better way to start than with Elder Scrolls Legends.

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona