Games better freemium with premium IAP?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jayg2015, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Would everyone like to see marketplace where the games are all freemium for everyone and premium for those who want to support the developer with what the game should be worth on average for example $9.99 .
    That way the developer would ultimately get everyone playing their game and most watching ads and some buying the game free of ads and giving the developer a pretty good pay for their hard work.

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    The Gi Joe Strike game has a ten buck unlimited energy unlock. I find that interesting, haven't bought it meself but it is definitely a nice option for those who enjoy the game.

3. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    No Freemium is Freemium and nothing else more, Don't waste your money for these stupid games.

4. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Trese Brothers have it right

For me the Trese Brothers' apps have it right (especially Heroes of Steel).
    For me all games should be like Heroes of Steel.

They have the first chapter for free. It is average, not very big, but not like 5 mins.
    Then, if you want the whole game, you buy the IAP for it.

Then, if you want new classes, you buy them (this feels meh... but I can understand the milking, and it is not like they are super important for the game, they just give a fresh feel).

My opinion, ios games should return to good ol' free demos with full games being purchased.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Very interesting situation, but it also depends on what the game type is. For example, some games are definitely better free with ads and IAP to remove the ads. These are usually pick-up-and-play arcade games with their shallow gameplay but fast pace fun action. Unless it has RPG or any indepth mechanics mixed into it, it feels it wont earn much being a premium. The ads however, give them a steady income, and the unlock is an option for those interested to make it premium.

6. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    There are a bunch of games I would like to try out but don't want to pay $3-5 just totry and play for a minute and delete .
    BUT if I did try and like it then I would love the option to buy.

7. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Correct me if I'm wrong because I am genuinely not sure although I remember reading this somewhere but doesn't the google play / android store allow you to play a premium game for a certain amount of time for free before having to purchase. If that's the case then I would love to see Apple follow suit and offer the same feature in their App Store which would give consumers greater confidence in their premium purchases.

8. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    That would be amazing

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yep... Google doesnt charge you for the download until after an hour of purchase or something. Been a while since i downloaded off my wife's android phone, but that's how i remembered it.

10. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    IIRC, one reason freemium came en masse was freemium was either unpiratable, or or much harder to do so given IAP had to be verified server side.