Space shmup Xenoraid by 10tons coming up in December

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by 10tonsLtd, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10tonsLtd

10tonsLtd Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    #1 10tonsLtd, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    What's up, astronauts? (that's a trick question, there's no "up" in space)

We're happy to announce we're looking at releasing our very fresh vertically scrolling shoot'em up Xenoraid for iOS devices (iPhone and iPad, AppleTV remains to be seen) in December 2016. We released the game on Steam in September, and the PS4 and Xbox One versions will be out in November.

It's a pretty cool game!

Xenoraid was born out of yearning for a good, "old fashioned" vertically scrolling space shooter that is NOT an insane bullet hell game for cyborgs. In fact, we went as far in our design goal of mitigating level memorization and insane bullet pattern dodging skillz requirements that we're driving the missions procedurally and the enemies act fully dynamically on AI. It's not an any kind of a roguelite or anything like that, as it's a fully linear mission based campaign + endless survivals, but the point is that you don't need to memorize the levels because you can't.

The other main highlight of the game is the laserlike focus on shooting. Like, Xenoraid is all about shooting, because it's a shoot'em up. This manifests itself in a couple of ways. Firstly, aiming is a big part of shooting, so we made the bold decision to make the player's starfighters tilt slightly left and right when moving sideways. So you can shoot somewhat diagonally, but you also need to have a bit of pilot's grasp of where your fighter's nose is pointing, as that's where your main weapon bullets will go. What's more, you can't spray and pray without a care in the world, as the main weapons will overheat and lock up eventually. So what you'll be doing is lining up shots, squeezing out somewhat controlled bursts, and hopefully getting sweet "Nailed that one!" feelings when you see your bullets hit home.

There's also a quite cool feature where your "lives" are actually your squadron of four fighters, and you can switch between them during missions at any time. You can do useful stuff with fighter switching, such as preventing a damaged fighter from getting destroyed, bringing in another fighter with cool guns, bringing in another fighter with shots left in the secondary heavy weapon to take out some big enemies, and "dodge rolling" out of a hairy situation (both incoming and outgoing fighters are briefly immune to damage).

The fighter switching ties into the metagame too, as the metagame is about managing your squadron with upgrades and repairs. You don't want to end up using a lot of credits replacing lost fighters!

Here be the trailer (don't mind the co-op bit. It's for PC and consoles only).

The iOS and Android beta opportunity signup is at http://xenoraid.com/ (scroll all the way down). Please note that we won't be able to invite everyone to the beta, but we will invite dozens of people.

2. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    Beta signup now active

The iOS and Android beta signup is now active at http://xenoraid.com/ Scroll all the way down.

3. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    signed up. this game looks kick ass

4. TheIronBeagle

TheIronBeagle Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Hardcore gamer
    Gravity Falls
    I've gotten to see some videos and a few of my friends play it, and it looks like a fun game. Good luck with the testing, hope the game comes to iOS soon :D I've always had a thing for procedurally generated maps in games. Signed up for the beta

5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Wow. This looks awesome! Will there be controller support on either iOS or Android?

6. Rohit Bhatia

Rohit Bhatia Member

Jun 17, 2016
    Male
    Youtube
    India
    I was looking for an awesome space shooter for a while now and it looks like this is it. Signed up.:)

7. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Signed up as well. Jaakko, I would love to play the mobile beta no matter the platform.

8. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    Yes, we'll do controller support for both iOS and Android. Which actually reminds us about those non-analog stick MFi controllers, will need to look into those too.

9. mertcanmirza

mertcanmirza Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Signed up, hope to play soon for testing that great game:)))

10. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    This looks amaze-balls! Beta sign-up signed!!

11. TheIronBeagle

Jul 10, 2016
    Hardcore gamer
    Gravity Falls
    Any updates on the beta testing or the game release? What price are you guys going to release at?

12. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    We're working, and I'd expect to have a first beta version this week. Whether or not we'll send out that version to beta testers remains to be seen. But certainly I'd think we'll have a beta out in about two weeks.

13. TheIronBeagle

Jul 10, 2016
    Hardcore gamer
    Gravity Falls
    Ok thanks! Good luck with the beta, hope to play soon.

14. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Beta beta beta...gimme gimme! Game looks fantastic! Def want to test this...

15. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Hey I'm good with an Alpha lol

Bring it on my friend!!! I love to root out bugs.

Billy

16. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    Fellow starfighter pilots!

What we're dealing with here is a classic case of good news and bad news.

As we're all tough space men and women, I'm sure we all want the bad news first: The game won't be released in December. Instead, we're looking at a release date of January 12th. December is simply such a busy season that it's pretty much certainly worth it to sit on the game a couple of weeks more to secure a less crowded launch date.

The good news is we've entered the first 50 testers into the beta, and now we're just waiting for the beta version to clear approval. That shouldn't take long at all.

In the meantime, please check out the delightfully superbly received Neon Chrome! You still have time to get it at the -50% launch price.

17. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    ... and the test is now live. Check your emails and go get'em!

18. TheIronBeagle

Jul 10, 2016
    Hardcore gamer
    Gravity Falls
    Got an invite! Anyone else here get one? Looking forward to testing this great game.

19. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks for the invite. Cant wait to test this one out.

20. 10tonsLtd

Mar 10, 2009
    We have added 50 more testers to the beta just now. Please check the game out and let us hear what you think!