A games curator comes along and asks...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Oct 22, 2016.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    #1 thumbs07, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    ..what has been the most significant games throughout the history of IOS. What do you say? What are the most significant games? What have been cult classics?

First iphone: June 29, 2007 9 years of releases.

2008 Rolando(Dec)
    2009 Drop 7(Jan), Castle Smasher(Apr), Angry Birds(Dec), Doodle Jump(Apr), Flight Control(Mar), Words with Friends(Jul)
    2010 Flying Hamster, Plant vs Zombies(Feb),Cut the Rope(Oct), Infinity Blade(Dec), Fruit Ninja(Apr),Final Fantasy II(Mar), Braveheart(Dec), Game Dev Story(Oct), Pocket Frogs(Sep), Monster Dash(Aug)
    2011 Tiny Wings(Feb),Super Stickman Golf(Jun),Flick Kick Football (Dec), They need to be Fed(Jan?), Order and Chaos(June), Temple Run(Aug), Spike Dislike(Jan)*, Jetpack joyride(Sept), Great little War game(Sept)
    2012 Stardunk, Clash of Clans(Aug),Mikey Shorts(Aug),Candy Crush Saga(Nov), Waking Mars, The Room(Sep), Year Walk
    2013 Plant vs Zombies 2(Aug), Flappy Bird(Mar), Ridiculous Fishing
    2014 Monument Valley(Apr),Crossy Road(Nov), Hitman Go(Apr), Goblin Sword(Sep), Threes!(Feb), Castle Doombad(Jan), Wayward Souls
    2015 Downwell(Oct), LandSliders
    2016 Crashlands(Jan), Clash Royale(Jan),Leap Day(May), Thumb Drift(Feb), SuperTribes(Feb),Pokemon GO
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Notes:
    *2009 -Start of Zynga on Ios?
    *Apr 2009 Possible Start of Donut Games on Ios http://www.gamespot.com/companies/donut-games/?page=2 with Castle Smasher
    *Oct 2009 Start of Kairosoft on Ios.
    *Mar 2010 Start of Final Fantasy on Ios.
    *Dec 2010 Start of Infinity Blade Series
    *Dec 2014 Start of Nitrome on IoS

Iblast Moki- Sept 09, Iblast 2-Aug 11
    .io series arguable addition
    * Cowboy game, Hungry Worm series?

2. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #2 ROGER-NL, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    I got an Iphone in 2009 and the first game that impressed me was Flight Control, so simple but also very entertaining.

2010 was the year of Cut the Rope, still one of the most fun games on the Appstore.

2011 was Iblast Moki 2 and Spy Mouse.

2012 was Bad Piggies and Beat Sneak Bandit.

2013 was Badland and Tiny Thief.

2014 was Monument Valley and Leo's Fortune and Threes.

2015 was Lara Croft Go and Beneath the Lighthouse.

2016 one game stands really out in it's simplicity and on the other hand great and clever puzzles is Puzzlepops and the just released Puzzlepops: Trick or Treat. And Perchang of course great game.

3. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    Two words: Infinity Blade

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Doodle jump needs to be included. It was very important. How about Tilt to Live, gravity guy, crashlands, geometry dash, wayward souls, downwell, super hexagon, duet, boson x, hundreds, Fruit Ninja, or Ski Safari?
    THE ROOM!

5. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    #5 OrangutanKungfu, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    I'm too lazy to look up the years, or check the chronology, but I'd say these are some of the most significant games in iOS history.

Rolando - Even if it was a poor man's Loco Roco, it was a proper game, on IOS, and very nicely done. Especially if you had never played Loco Roco.

Angry Birds - because size matters. It even spawned a movie, which has to count for something.

Cut the Rope. Different. Inventive. Swipey! Could be played with one hand. Seminal phone game.

Doodle Jump. Good tilt controls. Not my kind of game, but deserves respect.

Flight Control. Nailed the drawing on screen mechanic.

Fruit Ninja. One of those casual games that everybody knows, with excellent swipe controls.

Infinity Blade. The first truly must-have touchscreen game. Stunning, weird, genre-setting.

Final Fantasy. Because it's FINAL FANTASY on your phone. This, for me, was the point I put down my PSP and didn't look back. Though I never thought I'd be playing DQVIII and FFIX within a few years.

Plants vs Zombies. The ideal phone game. Funny and compelling, yet as easy to put down in the middle of a game as it was to get engrossed for an hour or two.

Flappy Bird. Made one-handed tapping a thing, and showed there was a goldmine out there for the right free game that goes viral.

The Room. The second truly must-have touchscreen game. Clever, tactile and creepy as f***.

Sorcery. Nailed interactive fiction, and brought it to your phone, making it as portable as the books that inspired it. Seriously, why would you ever play interactive fiction on a desktop or console again?

Clash of Clans. I have never played it, but there's no doubt its success has changed gaming for ever. And not just for iOS.

Hitman GO. It's a very good puzzle game. But it also showed that it was possible to convert external IP to phone games - and not suck. It's not a match 3 or rubbish endless runner. Kudos to Square Enix.

Rayman Jungle Run. It's not the first autorunner, so apologies to all those that went before, but it had class and good level design and pretty much made autorunners the standard platformer format for iOS.

Simogo's library, especially Device 6 and Year Walk, for showing that this was a platform where developers could think outside the box. Less so now, maybe - but it's still pretty good. Anyone played Snakebird?

Others can pick the many, many I've forgotten. I'll just add that there are also many, many better games than those above. The Room and Sorcery are probably the only ones I'd play today if they came out now, for instance. I'm just going for significant, IMO.

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I think you nailed it!

The only game I would add would be Candy Crush just because of the sheer magnitude of the money it made.

7. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Some great mentions, I will update original post soon.

8. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Temple run, guys. Temple run.

9. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I need to still update, still trying to work out criteria for this. Like significant releases, beginnings etc.
    But addition Drop7, Words with Friends, Crossy Road, Leap Day

10. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Space Miner remains on my all time favorite iOS list, such a great game.

11. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Needs at least some kind of mention of farmville type games

12. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    #12 noteatino, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Tiny wings, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery, The Kingdom Rush trilogy, The silent age, 80 days, Horizon Chase, Blueprint 3D, Shadowmatic, A dark room, Super Hexagon, Prune, Blek, EDGE, Doug Dug.

13. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    No, never. (Will look up in a bit:D)

Was that that twin stick kind of shoot the asteroids? Sort of remember it.

Ah some good ones there I'll update soon.