★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Games you keep coming back to

11-04-2016, 12:15 PM
Games you keep coming back to

I've just started playing New Star Soccer again with the new update. First time I've played it in a while and it's still awesome. It made me think about which games I've put the most time into on mobile.

There are plenty of games that don't get their teeth into you for long but are still ace and leave a lasting impression. But, much fewer that really keep you coming back day after day. Or at least get you to revisit when flicking through the games you've got installed.

What are the games that have kept you coming back for years?
11-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Not years exactly, as it was only released in January, but Lost in Harmony is an app that I don't think I'll ever tire of. A near perfect fusion of art and music and timing. Uplifting and totally immersive, especially over headphones that can handle the heavy bass.

Last edited by Stronsay; 11-04-2016 at 03:05 PM.

11-04-2016, 03:26 PM
Infinity Blade 3. Still plays fantastic on iOS10 and on the 12.9pro its glorious to look at.

Gamecenter : taeles
11-04-2016, 03:52 PM
I'll also put in a vote for New Star Soccer. I've deleted it twice, but it's a game that I know I can return to and enjoy no matter how many times I play it. I'll throw in the Football Manager series as well - I don't see much point in differentiating them by year, as the Touch line, at least, doesn't change greatly apart from the database.

Generally speaking, I prefer games with a storyline or finite campaign, so I don't tend to return to them when I'm done. However, I find it hard to delete games with random or roguelike elements, like Land Sliders or Downwell. I'm still terrible at Downwell, but every now and again I come back to it to see if I have magically improved my skills. I also kept Stick Tennis for years, but Tennis Champ Returns has superseded it this year.

But the best of them all is 868-HACK. I like Imbroglio a lot, but I reckon 868-HACK is Michael Brough's best roguelike. I love that 1980s sci-fi hacker theme, too.

2017 GOTY nominations: SAO: Memory Defrag, Death Road to Canada, Spaceplan, Arkanoid vs Space Invaders
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589
11-04-2016, 06:47 PM
Power Grounds
RoboSockets
Faif
Hipsta Chez
Chip Chain
11-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronsay View Post
Lost in Harmony is an app that I don't think I'll ever tire of. A near perfect fusion of art and music and timing. Uplifting and totally immersive, especially over headphones that can handle the heavy bass.
Must admit, that's one of those games I installed, played the first couple of levels, thought 'this is ace!' and then never went back to :-/ I think it's still on my iPad, I'll have to fire it up again. Good shout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post
Generally speaking, I prefer games with a storyline or finite campaign, so I don't tend to return to them when I'm done
Yeah, that's probably why I can't list that many examples myself, actually. Hearthstone is one of the only exceptions I can think of. And I was gonna say Settlers of Catan and then realised that what I keep going back to is a really long campaign mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post
But the best of them all is 868-HACK. I like Imbroglio a lot, but I reckon 868-HACK is Michael Brough's best roguelike. I love that 1980s sci-fi hacker theme, too.
That's another one I should perhaps reinstall. Didn't quite grab me immediately enough at the time I first bought it, even though I could tell there was some clever stuff going on there. I loved the aesthetic of it all, am into my sci-fi as well
11-05-2016, 04:50 PM
MHFU
Infinity Blade 3
Goblin Sword
Wayward Souls
EPOCH.2
Temple Run 2
Evoland
Polara
Boson X
Super Hexagon
Wave Wave
Zen Pinball
Colossatron
Slayin

These are the ones i still play from time to time, and each one of these i instabought on release.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by finndc View Post
And I was gonna say Settlers of Catan and then realised that what I keep going back to is a really long campaign mode.
What game exactly do you mean when you say "settlers of catan"? Do you mean the app called just "catan"? Just curious because I didn't know it had a fully fledged campaign, rather just thought it was a board game with one off games.
11-13-2016, 04:40 AM
Always can come back to

Threes
Spl-t
Dream quest
Pixel dungeon
Impossible road
Wazhack
Solipskier
Tap Titans

There's something great about all of them - the need to do better than before, I guess. Tap Titans is different, in that I just always keep getting 'better', but very slowly now... (One game every 2 months or so)
11-13-2016, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard90 View Post
I've been introduced to a film of John Carpenter, but i don't remember the title of it
"They Live"?