★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: One button local multiplayer space melee!
- Simple one button controls
- Local multiplayer for 2 players on 1 device
- Fast paced old school space dogfighting
- Now 8 Unique ships!
- 2 Modes: 1P Practice, 2P Versus
- Big pixels
- Universal build for iPhone and iPad
- No ads, no In App Purchases
- Worth it!

Kyynele's comments:

Duelstar

Antti Salama
Genres: Games Board Action
$1.99 USD

Quote:
One button local multiplayer space melee!
- Simple one button controls
- Local multiplayer for 2 players on 1 device
- Fast paced old school space dogfighting
- 6 Unique ships with more to come!
- 2 Modes: 1P Practice, 2P Versus
- Big pixels
- Universal build for iPhone and iPad
- No ads, no In App Purchases
- Worth it!

Supported Devices:
  • iPad2Wifi
  • iPad23G
  • iPhone4S
  • iPadThirdGen
  • iPadThirdGen4G
  • iPhone5
  • iPodTouchFifthGen
  • iPadFourthGen
  • iPadFourthGen4G
  • iPadMini
  • iPadMini4G
  • iPhone5c
  • iPhone5s
  • iPhone6
  • iPhone6Plus
  • iPodTouchSixthGen

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 9.0

Download Size: 56.1MB

11-11-2016, 06:44 AM
I don't know how this posting a game here is supposed to work, so I used the generator. Hope that's ok?

Anyway, my new game Duelstar is out!

I made a new release gameplay video, too, featuring the main menu, all the characters, and the main theme of the game, that didn't fit in the App Preview video:

Youtube link | Pop Up

:)

11-11-2016, 10:51 PM
I got a Star Control II pvp vibe from the trailer. Was that an inspiration for this game?
11-12-2016, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin View Post
I got a Star Control II pvp vibe from the trailer. Was that an inspiration for this game?
Very much so. I'm hesitant to mention it in any "official" context, as I obviously don't have anything to do with the brand itself, and very much hope to avoid any unnecessary legal issues.

In the 90s, I used to spend countless hours battling my brother in SC II. One of the prime motivations while developing Duelstar was to capture the feel of those moments, while updating on some core mechanics that were obviously limited by that time's technology, like adding smooth turning and camera movement.

The other major influences on some aspects of the game's design - that I'm aware of - are the current hero based FPS shooters, fighting games, and a ton of old, mostly Japanese shoot'em'ups.
11-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Sweet! Sold!
11-17-2016, 05:10 PM
Patch 1.1.0 is out!

The major addition is a 7th character+ship, a malfunctioning defense droid X11-T with homing missiles.

Also includes some minor AI tweaks!

Here's the new ship in motion: https://gfycat.com/LiquidScarceHind

I'm already working on the 8th ship, which will feature a life leeching ability, and is feeling quite fun. I'm expecting to get that one out by next friday.
11-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the new ship! Very fun. It's great to hear that you already have a timeline for the next ship. I'm very glad I bought this
11-22-2016, 05:32 AM
I just downloaded, and I have to say this is a great game. Nice simplistic control scheme, cool maps, great design. IMO Ione and Vega are the best chars, I can beat my friends with no losses using them :P. Keep bringing those updates!
11-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Great to hear you like it. :D

Also, awesome to hear which ships you feel are strong. For Vega, in the last test I had before the launch, the testers unanimously agreed that Vega had the weakest ship. I only gave him a slight boost to turning speed, and apparently that was enough to boost him to expected levels. :)

I'd also be interested to hear which ships the players consider weakest. The balance of the game isn't set in stone, and I'd prefer as many ships as possible to be fun to play with and against.

Anyway, I might've gone overboard with the black update coming on black friday. It's got a new black ship, new star types including black holes, and a new black winning screen for the AI among others.

Here's a preview clip of the new ship:

gfycat link in case the gif loads too slowly: https://gfycat.com/BarrenHonorableEyra
11-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Great to hear that you're still developing the game. Can't wait for the update to hit the store and try out that new ship. Quick question: do you plan to bring new maps to the game, or will there only be the one map with new features added to that one?

Also: Go Vega! It's great to see the shells blasting out into space as I annihilate the other ships.