★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The Killer App

12-27-2008, 03:28 PM
The Killer App

Where is the iPhone's killer app?
At the start of the app store it seemed to be super monkey ball but then everybody started disliking it, when brother in arms was released it did good fora while, but I think people didn't really want to pay $10 for it even though it's a great price.
Rolando was hyped but in my opinion based on it's. CHart positions it really hasn't sold as expected.

So when will the app store finally have it's killer app?
12-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDanielAwesome View Post
Where is the iPhone's killer app?
At the start of the app store it seemed to be super monkey ball but then everybody started disliking it, when brother in arms was released it did good fora while, but I think people didn't really want to pay $10 for it even though it's a great price.
Rolando was hyped but in my opinion based on it's. CHart positions it really hasn't sold as expected.

So when will the app store finally have it's killer app?
It hasn't sold as expected?? Its what, #9, and at $9.99 its bringing wheelbarrows of money in for Simon and the ngmoco team. Rolando is definately the killer app. That or iFart Mobile.

12-27-2008, 03:38 PM
I liked Super Monkey Ball, and it remains one of my favorites. If that doesn't cut it for everyone, then I'm sure 2009 will bring in more.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

12-27-2008, 03:42 PM
What exactly do you mean by killer app? We talking about Phone sales, or app sales?

I think the killer app, would be the App Store...
It's definitely changed my perception of the iPhone/Touch and we all know it's raised the bar for all competitors.

I shoot things in the face, on purpose.
12-27-2008, 03:43 PM
By killer app I mean it has huge amounts of success for extremey long amounts of times, rolando is Already dropping spots it used to be number 8 now it's the 12 th .

I'm talking about the true killer app, an app that makes someone buy an iPhone/touch or an app that you see in everybodys home screen. Just like almost everybody with a ps3/360 has call of duty 4 and almost all wii owners have mario kart.
12-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Hero of Sparta seems to be one of the better graphical games, also Ferrari GT and Snail Mail are both well done.
12-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Quote:
By killer app I mean it has huge amounts of success for extremey long amounts of times, rolando is Already dropping spots it used to be number 8 now it's the 12 th .

I'm talking about the true killer app, an app that makes someone buy an iPhone/touch or an app that you see in everybodys home screen. Just like almost everybody with a ps3/360 has call of duty 4 and almost all wii owners have mario kart.
We will see a true Killer App once big developers learn that they don't have to make watered down versions of apps for the iPhone. They should go ahead with larger games.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

12-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I've been on alot of other sites and lots of people say they are getting the iPhone/itouch based on SimCity and seeing EA developing games.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
12-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:

Ok. Well then thats what I'm saying. iFart mobile. But really some people got iPhones for SMB. Just like some people also went on ebay and got copies of SMB for Gamecube to play after WWDC. But a single killer app. Well, you can't honestly say. Nothing has lasted more than a few weeks, and the App Store is still just a toddler, so there is still time for all of that. COD is a great game, but I don't think people get Xbox for COD. Some get it for Rock Band, so that would be killer on console, but for a real killer on iPhone, well we need major companies to take the market and device seriously, which is an issue here. EA releases bad or unheard oftitles, but if not a killer, Rolando is a turning point for iPhone gaming. I think that major companies will take the platform seriously after that. Gameloft helps things also, but I will wait for WWDC 2009 to see.

I'll put it this way if Steve Jobs leaves Apple, I advise all of us to up and leave. It won't last another 5 years if that happens. Look at the '90's. Those were dark times for Apple, and Steve brought them into the light. Apple doesn't know what to do without him. Microsoft on the other hand makes crap anyway, so they can have all kinds. Unstable CEOs and everything, and life goes on. Phil Schiller would be the best replacement. I'd like for you all to go through this multiple outcome book here. Its really good.

Ok that whole thing was off topic, but really. Rolando is a turning point, and the real killer will come in 2009 or 2010, not within the first 6 mos. of it existing.
12-27-2008, 04:04 PM
I agree with you brewster, a major publisher will be the one to release the killer app, what nobody in my opinion has done yet is release that 20+ hour game with even more replay value and a great price. The dAy and iphone gAme has an adcampaign then I think it will have a chNce at being killer app.

Remeber the gameboy pokemon games? Those where only a couple mb's of coding yet they sold millions of gameboys