★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Throw yoyos into outer space and catch them by the string before they slam into the ground!

Launch your yoyo through the rings of Saturn, over the candy-coated peaks of Jupiter's moon Europa, to the furthest reaches of the galaxy!

Features:
Awesome chiptune-inspired soundtrack by Sean Francisco and Shirobon (@shirobon)
Pixel art perfection by the great Lux (@thisislux) and Ellian (@thisisellian)
7 planets + the end of the universe. Visit the beach resorts of Saturn and the alien colonies of Mars.
40+ crazy yoyos to collect. If you can tie a string to it, we can call it a yoyo. From cats and hamburgers to bitcoin, poop, and illuminati, there's a yoyo for everyone.
Free and fair. No play limits and no forced ads.
Physics-based yoyo string simulation. Relax, and let its gentle swaying soothe your soul.
Game Center leaderboards to conquer and achievements to unlock, each with cool pixel art icons.
Become the yoyo athlete you've always wanted to be.

Awards:
Featured on the App Store (New Games We Love)
Time Waster of the Year from the Council of Time
First Runner Up at the 9th Annual Throwing and Catching Games Festival

Boardumb's comments:

11-21-2016, 11:55 PM
This is a strange one!
I'm getting the hang of it though 👍🙂
Great soundtrack and retro look.

11-22-2016, 11:17 AM
This game is great. The visuals and music are very pleasing, and the free to play element is very fair. I put two bucks in just to support the dev. I also love that the game is Zen yet somewhat intense at the same time. I hope it gets more attention because I'd love to see more beautifully animated yo yos to unlock.
11-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks a lot Mrwubbs, it's always great to see someone understand your work even when it's a little offbeat! Zen but somewhat intense is exactly what I was going for--the relative calm of the descent contrasts with the stress of the catching to create an ebb + flow of energy by design.
11-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nox_pp View Post
Thanks a lot Mrwubbs, it's always great to see someone understand your work even when it's a little offbeat! Zen but somewhat intense is exactly what I was going for--the relative calm of the descent contrasts with the stress of the catching to create an ebb + flow of energy by design.
Yea it really is brilliant. One question, what is the benefit of letting the yo yo come close to the ground again? I forgot exactly what the effect is. Oh also, does your altitude score restart if you pay coins to begin at a checkpoont? Thanks in adavnce. I hope this gets gotw.

Last edited by Mrwubbs; 11-22-2016 at 12:57 PM.
11-22-2016, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwubbs View Post
what is the benefit of letting the yo yo come close to the ground again?
The closer it is to the ground, the more gems you earn, so the more gold you get, but also you earn up to a 20% increase in the baseline strength of your relaunch. It's 20% for a "Godlike" catch, like 10% for an "Awesome" catch, and 5% for a "Cool" catch (or something like that.)

Quote:
does your altitude score restart if you pay coins to begin at a checkpoont
You keep your altitude, but your "Time to Final Checkpoint" will keep increasing from the second you deploy the yoyo at ground level. So someone could try to buy their way to the final checkpoint, but their Time to Final Checkpoint will be bad. No one has made it to the final checkpoint yet (a few did in beta,) but you can throw to the final checkpoint in like 6-8 minutes if you never drop the yoyo, and after that there's a wormhole to another dimension...where the true yoyo masters are born
11-22-2016, 03:32 PM
It's a great game. After testing a little bit I ended up downloading both iOS and Android builds. And bought some coins last night after it went live. It's just a simple joy to throw your yo-yo into the air and then try to collect power ups and get higher! Who doesn't want to get higher!? I mean come on ppl. 😸
11-22-2016, 04:29 PM
Thanks rezn! So glad you that you enjoy getting high in my game and found it worthy of your $$$. You'll like the default social sharing message if you haven't seen it yet (share button bottom left of clipboard.)
11-22-2016, 05:37 PM
Is it possible to throw the yo yo hard enough from the ground to reach the first boost?
11-22-2016, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Is it possible to throw the yo yo hard enough from the ground to reach the first boost?
Not right now, because I don't want the player to reach it during the tutorial before doing at least one catch+relaunch, and this first part of the game is not randomized as far as booster/gem arrangements so that people don't get too frustrated when they're first learning the game. The best height I can reach w/ an initial throw right now is about 30 yo.

I think I might make initial throws a little stronger in the future, but their importance will always be significantly less than quality catches + relaunches anyway. In a "perfect" session you only do one initial throw vs 10's of relaunches.