★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Advertising on the iphone/ipod touch

09-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Advertising on the iphone/ipod touch

I figured this day would come, but i wouldn't of imagined it so ...shameful

Ive seen the pop up screens, that require you to click skip, its a minor nuisance

i can only imagine apps down the road requiring you to click on an add to continue

i just ran across an advertising banner implemented into the game, telling me that there are Hot Bars and Restaurants near me! supported by AdMobs
Frankly I dont care..its basically a pop up that caught my eye

i want to support the developers, I mean I am one, but i dont like the advertising model that is being implemented...I dont wanto to click on my fav game, to see an advertisement of a stick of Deodorant

my question is, when do these advertisements become obtrusive, retrieving contact information [which the sdk allows access too], or scanning the Temp. Directory on the iphone cache [also accessible via the sdk to apps]
i would only hope that Apple's Screening process would block the app

sorry for this rant
09-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Ads are the reason I deleted Tap Tap Revenge. I understand developers wanting to make a profit but in all honesty I would rather pay for an App than have it free with ads. Sadly though the rate at which we are seeing apps with ads is increasing drastically
09-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySquirrels View Post
Ads are the reason I deleted Tap Tap Revenge. I understand developers wanting to make a profit but in all honesty I would rather pay for an App than have it free with ads. Sadly though the rate at which we are seeing apps with ads is increasing drastically
The consumer will choose.

And the consumer will win.

If the consumer feels that ads in game/app are not the accepted way, then frankly that app will fail.

09-17-2008, 08:03 PM
I hate that too, but some of the devs putting ads on their apps are just trying to make a living, not everyone on the app store are making zillions of dollars. If the app is good and free, then I have no problem. If it's bad then I'll just delete it. If it's paid and has an Ad, to hell with them.
09-18-2008, 08:17 AM
I really think it depends on the game. I can't see myself ever paying for a blackjack game because it's a game that I find only mildly entertaining, and yet still something I sometimes like to play. So, to me, the ads in the two blackjack games I've downloaded are fine. I'd rather have them then pay for a blackjack game, and I'd definitely rather have them then not have a blackjack game at all. Of course I'd love it more if someone released a good free version without ads, but no one has done that, at least not that I've found.

Of the two blackjack games I have, one has pop-up ads and the other banner ads. I think I prefer the banner approach, as I then don't have to click to continue, which is a little annoying, although it's not that big of a deal either and then you don't have the ads always there. It's a toss up, I guess. The one with the pop-up ads is the better game, so for the moment at least, that's the one I've been playing.

The best thing is for a game to be released in two versions, one payware and one with ads. Then the individual can decide. That's exactly what they've done with the black jack games, and that works for me.
09-18-2008, 09:47 AM
I can only imagine accepting ads in games, when it is appropriate for the type of game. Advertisment on boards would be great for football/soccer/hockey games and racers and I would accept it because a formula 1 racer looks and feels more real, when there are advertisements on the playfield, which is an interesting thought overall. What I absolutely would not accept are advertisements like banners or adwords in or under game menus. I prefer paying for software instead of getting free software which tries to download banner ads via edge.

Another thing is of course a game which is an advertisment for itself, like these drinking beer apps or the Audi car racer.