★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Red Planet is FREE on Oh Appy Day.
Downoad the Oh Appy Day store App now for more FREE apps.

Set on the surface of Mars, Red Planet is a stunning sci-fi 'ambient adventure' featuring an atmospheric soundtrack by Christopher Franke (one of the original members of Tangerine Dream and composer for the television series Babylon 5).

Explore the Martian landscape in 3D and watch the shadows gradually changing as Red Planet's real-time lighting simulates the sunrises and sunsets of Mars - down to the subtle blue-shifted haze that surrounds the sun, as seen from the Martian surface over a hundred million kilometers away.

Setting the scene in Huygen's Crater, this first installment of Red Planet features a simple objective - locate the transmitter base and reactivate the signal to ensure your return to Earth!

Objectives aside, you can take your time to enjoy the scenery and the evocative soundtrack.

Red Planet is a unique app, that will take fans of sci-fi to another world.

FEATURES:

* 3D environment to explore in first-person - simply tilting the iPhone allows immersive 360° movement.

* Day/Night simulation (approx 5 mins each)

* Music by Christopher Franke

* Future Updates planned!

ImNoSuperMan's comments:
Not really sure if it`s full version free or a Lite version. Anyways...
--------

10-19-2009, 06:06 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu

10-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Meh, it's a tech demo.
10-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
Meh, it's a tech demo.
Yeah, not a game, but still, pretty cool.

Can't find it in the Singapore store though.
10-19-2009, 06:29 AM
well, there is a tiny element of game here actually.

had to figure out a way of opening the base door and access the computer to transmit the beam. then you need to find out how to get acess to that globe you see in the screenshots

oki its not rocket science .. or is it

Currently playing: Joe Dever's Lone Wolf and FM2014
10-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Get a US account and download it for free. If you are interested in planet exploration, this may worth your bandwidth, if you have space to spare.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)
10-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Hmm, downloading it and going to give it a try ; )

if anyone else has an opinion about this yet, please share it with us.
10-19-2009, 05:28 PM
It is actually pretty cool. Although I mainly downloaded it due to Christopher Franke doing the soundtrack. I was a huge Tangerine Dream fan in the 80's and have actually been bringing in their music to work lately. I wish there was more music.

The game took a little getting used to. There are not really any instructions of what you are supposed to do, but slowly you figure it out. Roam around the surface until you find the antenna. Then you need to repair things which requires some puzzles to figure out. I was at work so I did not get to finish, but what I did was pretty interesting. The control scheme it not that great, though. A bit jittery, although maybe that's how it WOULD be in real-life.

You also have a time limit to finish before the sunsets. And the landscape gets continulally darker and darker. It's really neat. The graphics are decent.