★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Highway Runners is a retro-inspired racing game for iOS, aiming to provide players the same sense of freedom the 16-bits oldschool arcade games did. Will you be good enough to get to the finish line?

Features :
Old-school 16-bit graphics
15 levels in 5 different environments (2 unlockable)
Collect money in game to unlock pendants and change your game style
Aim for the high score by grazing cars!
CRT and Overlay filters
Play by day, evening, and night
Accelerometer intuitive gameplay OR classic touch gameplay

The game is totally free from in-app purchases : unlock everything with the cash earned in the game!

Phoebius's comments:

Highway Runners

Florian Bronnimann
Genres: Games Racing Action Entertainment
$1.99 USD

Quote:
Special launch discount! The game is 1,99$ during the first weeks!

Highway Runners is a retro-inspired racing game for iOS, aiming to provide players the same sense of freedom the 16-bits oldschool arcade games did. Will you be good enough to get to the finish line?

Features :
• Old-school 16-bit graphics
• 15 levels in 5 different environments (2 unlockable)
• Collect money in game to unlock pendants and change your game style
• Aim for the high score by grazing cars!
• CRT and Overlay filters
• Play by day, evening, and night
• Accelerometer intuitive gameplay

The game is totally free from in-app purchases : unlock everything with the cash earned in the game!

Supported Devices:
  • iPhone4
  • iPad2Wifi
  • iPad23G
  • iPhone4S
  • iPadThirdGen
  • iPadThirdGen4G
  • iPhone5
  • iPodTouchFifthGen
  • iPadFourthGen
  • iPadFourthGen4G
  • iPadMini
  • iPadMini4G
  • iPhone5c
  • iPhone5s
  • iPhone6
  • iPhone6Plus
  • iPodTouchSixthGen

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 7.1

Download Size: 33.2MB

12-14-2016, 03:05 PM
This looks like outrun with a blue instead of red car

Transcending outer space to find another race

12-14-2016, 03:06 PM
Love these sorts of racer, so might have to give it ago. Any idea on the controls on this?

Game Center name:- Team Crazy UK
12-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj132 View Post
Love these sorts of racer, so might have to give it ago. Any idea on the controls on this?
The description seems to indicate tilt controls circa-2009 which means I will tilt myself directly out of this thread.

It's too late.
12-14-2016, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
The description seems to indicate tilt controls circa-2009 which means I will tilt myself directly out of this thread.
Maybe instead of being snarky about it you could simply request the option for non-tilt controls like a normal human being?

This is a SERIOUSLY great homage to OutRun. The basic point-to-point style of racing is solid, but the little details like the different rear view mirror trinkets that offer bonuses and the ability to race during different times of day set this apart. I especially love the destructible elements in the environment and the coins that you can collect which give you something to do other than just race and avoid other vehicles. Some of the coin lines even lead you right into taking out a crowd of people lined up along the track. Brutal! The scanlines and faux monitor overlay are also charming touches, but can thankfully be turned off for a cleaner look. Oh! Also the whole grazing other cars thing is really a brilliant addition.

About the controls: Yes there is only tilt. It works great for the most part, but doesn't offer enough precision for me to properly graze other vehicles. Not a deal breaker for me but I'd love the inclusion of a virtual button option. I'd look to Horizon Chase or Final Freeway for examples of good OutRun-alikes with touch control options.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
12-15-2016, 05:00 AM
No touch control, no buy.
12-15-2016, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
No touch control, no buy.
Wow, too much negativity here today. I guess no Mario yet is getting people angry

Let's put it the other way around:

@Dev: is there any chance of you implementing touch controls in future updates? I'd rather play with touch rather than tilt. Thanks! (That was easy... )
12-15-2016, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualBoyFreak View Post
Wow, too much negativity here today. I guess no Mario yet is getting people angry

Let's put it the other way around:

@Dev: is there any chance of you implementing touch controls in future updates? I'd rather play with touch rather than tilt. Thanks! (That was easy... )
love you! :3
12-15-2016, 08:32 AM
I only have an IPad,but i couldn't resist this.

Would also like to see touch controls as an option,but it's not a biggie for me.Would also like to see IPad support.

This was a pleasent surprise.
12-15-2016, 08:58 AM
All this game needs is more "80s" sunsets and neon pink lol