★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Samurai Puzzle Battle/Puzzle Quest

12-28-2008, 07:11 AM
#1
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 97
Samurai Puzzle Battle/Puzzle Quest

which are you playing more?
12-28-2008, 07:47 AM
#2
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,404
Samurai Puzzle Battle.
I'm so addicted to it.

12-28-2008, 09:27 AM
#3
It's a shame that samurai pb is so easy (yes, I've played all difficulties), or I'd play it more. Also, some side quests get tedious.
12-28-2008, 12:09 PM
#4
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,710
Both games are nice. PQ seems more refined tho. But PQ is a game that is out there for a long time now. A comparison:

SB:
+ Risk element
+ You can make your army with different characters
+ Mini games
- Annoying music
- Too much use of vibration
- 3-Match is not as rich of strategy as PQ
- Tutorial helps but it's confusing (it needs to be objective)

PQ
+ 3-Match full of strategy (a lot to think and use)
+ Spell system (easy to use and easy to read the opponent's strength)
+ RPG element (you build a character with several options including: special items, structures and spells)
- Poor port meaning it was not made specially for iPhone
- It's not the entire game (1st chapter only)
- It lacks directions and/or help sometimes (e.g. the importance of increase character level so you can go on with quests)
12-28-2008, 12:12 PM
#5
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 263
Informative post Carlos, thanks. I got Samurai puzzle lite. First thing I did was turn off vibration. It was SO annoying. But now that it's off... I don't get how to play. How do I do a Ki-attack?
12-28-2008, 01:38 PM
#6
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAlex View Post
Informative post Carlos, thanks. I got Samurai puzzle lite. First thing I did was turn off vibration. It was SO annoying. But now that it's off... I don't get how to play. How do I do a Ki-attack?
You keep matching these Yin-Yang symbols to raise your Ki-bar, when its full you will automatically launch a Ki-attack.

I haven't played SPB since PQ came out, btw.
12-28-2008, 01:51 PM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 97
i actually tried filling up the ki bar for the ghosts but whenever its full and i attempt to match the symbols tgt it goes back down to zero
12-28-2008, 02:27 PM
#8
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 303
Depending on what enemy you face, they have different attributes and are immune to certain attacks.
12-28-2008, 05:11 PM
#9
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopches View Post
i actually tried filling up the ki bar for the ghosts but whenever its full and i attempt to match the symbols tgt it goes back down to zero
As the tips said, you must have your blue and green bar full for a strong Ki attack. And this attack is most effective when your enemy's green / blue bar is very low. It's even better if it's empty as I often drain their whole life bar.
02-25-2009, 06:25 PM
#10
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,779
Big Question about Samurai Puzzle Battle?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
Both games are nice. PQ seems more refined tho. But PQ is a game that is out there for a long time now. A comparison:

SB:
+ Risk element
+ You can make your army with different characters
+ Mini games
- Annoying music
- Too much use of vibration
- 3-Match is not as rich of strategy as PQ
- Tutorial helps but it's confusing (it needs to be objective)

PQ
+ 3-Match full of strategy (a lot to think and use)
+ Spell system (easy to use and easy to read the opponent's strength)
+ RPG element (you build a character with several options including: special items, structures and spells)
- Poor port meaning it was not made specially for iPhone
- It's not the entire game (1st chapter only)
- It lacks directions and/or help sometimes (e.g. the importance of increase character level so you can go on with quests)
Just when you thought the thread was dead WHATCHA!

Actually I have one hopefully simple question regarding SB, can you lose? Something I've HATED about the otherwise great PQ series (and I'm sure it will be the same in Galatrix) is that LOSING HAS NO CONSEQUENCE. I'm not an idiot who wants the game to end the moment you lose one battle...but c'mon, something should happen if you lose beyond, "Do you wish to replay the battle?". I'm not a big Risk fan but I am a fan of the concept of RISK, i.e. having something to risk in the battle. Since the battles are resolved Risk like can you, the player, be completely wiped out? Does the AI put up a decent fight?