★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: FlipSide5, Inc.
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 7.4 MB
  • Version: 2.1.0
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Aseteroid-Z is an intense arcade space-shooter action game. Unknown forces have disturbed the Oort Cloud at the edge of our solar system, launching huge numbers of asteroids, mines, and alien artifacts that threaten to destroy the Earth. Use your shield, 3-way fire, Pulse Bombs, and AutoChron 'time freeze' along with all of your skill to make it through 9 levels and prevent the end of civilization if you can!

Oort Storm is an enjoyable, well done iPhone space shooter that brings a number of enhancements to the age old Asteroids formula such as power-ups, shields, and point multipliers.....Oort Storm is a simple, fun space shooter that I'd recommend to any shooter fan out there.
-TouchArcade.com

HIGHLIGHTS
- 9 levels of increasingly challenging play to unlock!
- Top 10 Local and Global Rankings
- Panning sound effects based on ship or explosion position.
- Multiple power-ups to help get you through levels.
- World-class graphics & sound effects.
- The way-it-should-be "Point" or "Turn" accelerometer control for space ship navigation.

Note: FlipSide5 does not recommend the use of its games while driving, operating heavy machinery, or performing other critical or hazardous tasks. Eye-fatigue and an intense urge to try that level 'just one more time' may be signs of a more serious underlying condition.
10-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Is it another tilt to steer, touch to boost, touch to shoot game? it looks good, but I can't say I like these kind of controls. Twin Stick is much better.

Edit: tried the lite version. There are 3 controls which is good: dpad, steering left/right, point (in the direction you want to fly). The dpad that I tried is not bad. It takes some getting used to, but with some practice would be ok. The gameplay is classic asteroids, where you fly around blasting incoming asteroids while picking up power-ups. If you fly off the screen you appear on the opposite side. The graphics look good. Overall, its not my cup of tea, but it is well worth giving lite a try to see if you like it.

Last edited by eugekava; 10-19-2009 at 06:29 PM.
10-19-2009, 06:35 PM
This was the first idevice top-down shooter that I ever played, and it still is a very good fixed-field asteroids in my opinion. I haven't played it in ages, and has absolutely nothing on Meteor Blitz as a game, but gave me a good amount of entertainment. It's worth looking at if you're used to accelerometer and turn/thrust control schemes and are interested in a more traditional type of asteroids game than one with MB's screen-panning, over the top madness.

Oort Storm becomes more challenging once the white enemies show up, but there are in fact sufficient power-ups available (though you do have to scramble to get them quickly), contrary to IGN's claim. It crashed a few times but not too much. $2 was well worth it at the time (last december). Several months ago my best score was something like 2.6 million at #3, but I'd be surprised if it was still up there (luke)

Last edited by Grubjelly; 10-19-2009 at 06:40 PM.
10-19-2009, 07:27 PM
While I'm not too excited about another Asteroids clone, FlipSide 5 have done some quality stuff in the past, so I imagine they've done a good job on this one. Plus, there's actually an astronomically plausible backstory, which you don't see often. Might be worth checking out.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko