★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Trade my iPhone 7 for a 7 Plus?

12-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Trade my iPhone 7 for a 7 Plus?

I currently have the iPhone 7 and iPad Air 2, but lately I've been gaming more and more on my phone than the iPad. So I'm wondering if I should sell my 7 and get a 7 plus for the added screen real estate even with the extra bulk.

I realize 1) some games (particularly PC ports) basically need a 9.7" screen or it's just annoyingly small and 2) some people have no problem gaming with the SE's tiny 4" screen.

But in general, what do TA members that have moved to the plus phones think? Totally worth it? Minor upgrade? Anyone gone plus and then back to a smaller phone?

I still think I should get 'posts credit' for all the witty comments I leave on TA articles.
12-22-2016, 01:07 PM
i went from a 4s to an ipad air 2 like you. At first i loved the awesome bigger screen, but some games are unwieldy to play while on the couch or in bed, when you have to hold the ipad up against gravity, especially ones that require taps to move/ act and not v-sticks and buttons - Crashlands, Aquaria, Xcom etc and you have to hold them up with one hand and control with the other.

Last year after much thinking and reading the rumors about the +, i went to the store, and told them : Can i try to fit the 6s+ in my jeans to see how it feels? They said yes -of course. In that magical moment, i found that all this talk about big clunky movement restricting and whatnot were extremely exaggerated. You get used to it in a couple of days max. The + is the perfect size in my opinion. Big screen, can hold in one hand for gaming /reading at night and on the go. This week i was without it for service, i couldnt even do anything on the 4s except phonecalls anymore, and i had to switch positions every so often to hold the ipad while gaming.

Note, i am male, 1.74m and 80 kilos, on the slightly chubby and muscular body type, wearing normal jeans. If you think you weigh/ bulk too much, or want/ need/ to wear skintight clothes i'd give it a pass. Go for it in all other cases, you won't look back. But the best advice i can give, is go to the store, and try it for yourself, in your least comfortable clothes to see how it feels.

Last edited by ramzarules; 12-22-2016 at 01:11 PM.

12-23-2016, 06:55 AM
My experience:

I went from 4, 5S and now finally 7 Plus.

Totally worth it since i'm a big player. I would never go back to a smaller screen.

For portability while I drive, I bought on amazon a cover to put it in AND inside my bag with documents, keys, money, ...

This is the only difference in portability. I have already learned to write with one hand (this post is written with one hand on Tapatalk)

What else?

This is the best iPhone I've ever had. Battery lasts more than 2 days.

3 years from now I'll buy another iPhone with the same screen size to replace this.

Game Center: FiloMJ

My Steam Profile
12-23-2016, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzarules View Post
Last year after much thinking and reading the rumors about the +, i went to the store, and told them : Can i try to fit the 6s+ in my jeans to see how it feels? They said yes -of course. In that magical moment, i found that all this talk about big clunky movement restricting and whatnot were extremely exaggerated. You get used to it in a couple of days max. The + is the perfect size in my opinion. Big screen, can hold in one hand for gaming /reading at night and on the go. This week i was without it for service, i couldnt even do anything on the 4s except phonecalls anymore, and i had to switch positions every so often to hold the ipad while gaming.
Yeah I thought about going to the store but the closest Apple or Verizon store is a bit of a drive for me so I thought I'd get some feedback before making the trip.

I appreciate your thoughts and on the plus - looks like I'll be making that drive.

I still think I should get 'posts credit' for all the witty comments I leave on TA articles.
12-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiloMJ View Post
My experience:

I went from 4, 5S and now finally 7 Plus.

Totally worth it since i'm a big player. I would never go back to a smaller screen.

For portability while I drive, I bought on amazon a cover to put it in AND inside my bag with documents, keys, money, ...

This is the only difference in portability. I have already learned to write with one hand (this post is written with one hand on Tapatalk)
Thanks for your thoughts on the plus.

Follow up question: What bag do you use for documents, keys, money...?

12-23-2016, 10:58 AM
I got a 6 Plus and immediately regretted it. I eventually pulled all sorts of shenanigans to "downgrade" to a regular 6 and haven't looked back since. The larger screen is nice, but I'm big into carrying a minimal amount of stuff and the Plus-sized models just felt way too huge in my pockets. It was great for games though!
12-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsoapbox View Post
Thanks for your thoughts on the plus.

Follow up question: What bag do you use for documents, keys, money...?

In Italy we use something like this: MeCool Borsa da Uomo di Tela Spalla Borsello Studenti Scuola Militare Viaggio Tracolla per Firmate Scontate Economiche Griffate Sportive Outdoor Sport Vintage universitą Mare Borse https://www.amazon.it/dp/B011LOTFPO/..._5Kuxyb23J2KQ0

And inside of that, this: Shocksock Neoprene Custodia Sacchetto Manicotto con Carabiner per iPhone 7 Plus Custodia, Colore: Nero https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01JYEZX6S/..._mMuxybTZ4XAKV

Maximum security.

Game Center: FiloMJ

My Steam Profile
12-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
I got a 6 Plus and immediately regretted it. I eventually pulled all sorts of shenanigans to "downgrade" to a regular 6 and haven't looked back since. The larger screen is nice, but I'm big into carrying a minimal amount of stuff and the Plus-sized models just felt way too huge in my pockets. It was great for games though!
Thanks Eli. I'm a minimalist as well (no watch, key ring has two keys, ultraslim wallet) and thus my concern. I was even occasionally annoyed by my previous 6 in certain light weight shorts (more from the weight than the size) as it bounced around when I walked. However, now that I'm a professor instead of a grad student I find myself usually wearing grownup pants instead of shorts and flip flops all the time... And in my pants pocket I never notice the 7 to the point I sometimes check to see if I forgot it at home, so I wonder if the 7+ would be an issue. And with each passing year I feel like I (everyone?) spend more and more time staring at my phone.

My hope is that the next iPhone will reduce the bezels and make the plus model smaller with the same screen, but then Fall seems so far away... #FirstWorldProblems

12-23-2016, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiloMJ View Post
In Italy we use something like this: MeCool Borsa da Uomo di Tela Spalla Borsello Studenti Scuola Militare Viaggio Tracolla per Firmate Scontate Economiche Griffate Sportive Outdoor Sport Vintage universitą Mare Borse https://www.amazon.it/dp/B011LOTFPO/..._5Kuxyb23J2KQ0

And inside of that, this: Shocksock Neoprene Custodia Sacchetto Manicotto con Carabiner per iPhone 7 Plus Custodia, Colore: Nero https://www.amazon.it/dp/B01JYEZX6S/..._mMuxybTZ4XAKV

Maximum security.
Nice. For maximum security I go with Bluffworks pants which have a zippered pocket inside the front pocket - which I certainly hope I could notice a pickpocket unzipping. I actually use these as my primary "grownup" pants I mentioned above. (https://shop.bluffworks.com/products...el-pants-stone)

12-23-2016, 01:42 PM
When iPhones first jumped in size with the regular 6 and 6 Plus, I tried out the Plus model at the demo area of the event and was like THIS THING IS HUGE. The regular 6 felt like the best compromise, slightly larger but not too much. So when the S models came out I didn't even think about it and got the regular size 6S.

When the 7 was announced, I was REALLY interested in that dual camera. Also, for the past several months, I'd been feeling like playing games on my 6S felt really small and oftentimes hard to read. Not even just games actually, but web browsing and stuff too. I'm probably just getting old but it got to the point where it felt like I couldn't deal with it anymore.

So I was curious about the Plus model, but I was also deathly scared that it would end up being too huge and I'd be stuck with it for a year or more. I made myself a fake Plus phone out of cardboard and that aluminum tape you use to tape up dryer ducts, and carried it around in my pocket for several days ahead of the pre-orders for the 7 opening up. I decided I was going to go for the Plus and hope for the best.

Well, the fist day getting it and any and all my fears vanished. I really was use to the size by the end of that first day, it took almost no time at all. Now I know I will NEVER go back to a smaller phone and I wish I had done this years ago. There are occasions where it feels big in my pocket, mostly just when I sit down in a chair and lean over to tie my shoes, but that's about it.

The other big revelation was that the Plus isn't the most one hand friendly phone, but neither are the regular size models, at least for me. Everything up to the 5S I could always do everything with a single hand, my thumb could reach anywhere on the screen. With the bump up in size of the regular iPhone 6, it became difficult to do many things with that single thumb, and over the course of two phone generations I'd learned how to get used to that. Well, the funny thing is all those things that were difficult to do one handed on a regular size iPhone are all equally hard on the Plus model anyway, and I'd pretty much already trained myself to work around those issues. If someone wants a TRULY one handed phone, that's what the SE is for.

tl;dr: I was hesitant about a Plus size phone but once I finally got one I fell in love and I'll never look back.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA