★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Charles Joseph
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 9.7 MB
  • Version: 1.3
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Word Fall combines the best of both word games and the arcade for an innovative new game that will sharpen both your mind and your reflexes.

Spell as many words as you can by maneuvering around the letters raining down to catch the ones you need and avoid the ones you don't. Spell longer words with less common letters to earn bonus points and a spot on the scoreboards. Word Fall's addictive gameplay will keep you hooked trying to get the last word in.

FEATURES:

- FOUR DIFFICULTY MODES: Anyone can enjoy Word Fall, whether on Easy, Normal, or Hard difficulty levels. Or try Survival Mode for an extra challenge!

- AUTOSAVE: Don't worry about taking a phone call, Word Fall automatically saves your game on interruption/exit for a true pick up and play experience.

- COMPETE AGAINST THE WORLD: Word Fall is OpenFeint enabled and has both local and online high score leaderboards. Compare your scores with your friends and see how you rank worldwide!

- UNLOCKABLE ACHIEVEMENTS: Complete additional challenges to earn bragging rights and OpenFeint points -- achievements range from scoring a million points to spelling palindromes to using every letter of the alphabet. Unlocking the more than 25 achievements will keep you playing the game in creative new ways!

- POST-GAME STATS: How many unique words did you use? What was your biggest score multiplier? What was the longest word you spelled? Word Fall tracks and displays these statistics and more after every round.

- INTELLIGENT DICTIONARY: Word Fall utilizes a list of nearly 120,000 words ensuring you can spell just about anything and really expand your vocabulary.

- ORIGINAL SOUND AND MUSIC: Word Fall features original sound effects and music created by Nick Karch of Toronto band Bolus. Or play with your own music instead Word Fall automatically mutes in-game music when the iPod app is playing.

LessThanYouThink's comments:
Only 2 days left in the 50%-off launch-week sale!

10-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Been following you on twitter for days

10-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
Been following you on twitter for days
Well aren't you in the know . Oh you may be glad to hear that I'll be submitting an update soon with a ton of tricky OpenFeint achievements... some of them are VERY difficult to earn.

Charles Joseph: designer/developer
Word Fall (App Store link)
Follow me on Twitter!
10-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanYouThink View Post
Well aren't you in the know . Oh you may be glad to hear that I'll be submitting an update soon with a ton of tricky OpenFeint achievements... some of them are VERY difficult to earn.
Well awesome, will be waiting on those achievements Thanks.
10-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Currently at #97 in the US App Store for paid word games, #27 in Canada

Unfortunately it looks like the release date was tagged as the App Store acceptance date, not the actual release date :\

Follow me on Twitter!
10-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanYouThink View Post
Currently at #97 in the US App Store for paid word games, #27 in Canada

Unfortunately it looks like the release date was tagged as the App Store acceptance date, not the actual release date :\
Yeah I think that's generally how they do it.

If you're reading this, I've already won.
10-21-2009, 01:00 AM
So when do you have the game checking/submitting scores to openfeint?

After my games are over they aren't uploaded to openfeint. But when I close the app and come back in, they are in openfeint.

And any ideas on what any of the achievements will be?
10-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
So when do you have the game checking/submitting scores to openfeint?

After my games are over they aren't uploaded to openfeint. But when I close the app and come back in, they are in openfeint.

And any ideas on what any of the achievements will be?
That's strange. The way I have it setup is when the round ends, if your score is in your local top 5 it submits the best one to OpenFeint. I implemented this when I was using an earlier version of OF and wanted to guarantee that the best scores get uploaded, but with OF's better offline support I will be tweaking this in the first update.

As for achievements, I've got around 20 of them so far, and half of them implemented in the game. Here's a sample:

Perfectly Certain Complete a round without forming any invalid words and without having erased any words. (5 points)

Hot Streak Earn a bonus multiplier of over 25. (25 points)

Extended Play Play for over 8 minutes in Survival Mode. (25 points)

Alliteration Finish a round where every word starts with the same letter, having submitted at least 10 words. (25 points)

A Man, A Plan, A Canal, Panama Submit 5 different palindromes in one round (words that are spelled the same forward and backward). (25 points)

The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog Finish a round having used every letter of the alphabet in a word at least once. (50 points)

Anyways, I'd love to hear what everyone who's downloaded the game thinks, what improvements they'd like to see, and any comments/suggestions for achievements.

Follow me on Twitter!
10-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Whoa...your right, those are ticky lol

I'm up for the challenge though

Thanks for the preview.
10-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Seeing Zincous as the last person to reply then looking at screenshot 1 made me think the falling letters were actually trying to spell Zincous

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ