★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Understanding Iphone Code Signing Process

10-20-2009, 07:26 AM
#1
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
Understanding Iphone Code Signing Process

Hi,
I want to test my app on my iPod but I got a bit confused trying to understand the the code signing process .

*Is the Distribution Certificate my company's unique Identifier and hence I only need to generate it once? Is Development certificate needed for every programmer/tester? Do I need to create a different distribution/development certificate for each application?

*What does provisioning profile mean? Do I need a new profile for every application or do I use one for all? Whatís the deference between provisioning profile to development/distribution certificate?

*What is the difference between development profile and distribution? Can I test my app on my device with a development profile (but without registering it on the portal as a device)?

Appreciate your help.
Cheers
10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 439
There are 2 types of profiles:

1) Development provisional profile, used for testing your app

2) Distribution provisional profile, used when you are ready to submit your app to the app store

I think that if you used a wildcard type app id... WERWER23423.*

then you can use a single profile for your development provisioning profile for all your apps... and a single profile for your distribution provisioning profile for all your apps.

plus each programmer/tester can be setup with the same development provisional profile.

I believe the distribution and development certificates each only need to be generated once.

10-21-2009, 02:57 AM
#3
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
Hi,
Thanks for the reply

Can I test my app on a device with a development profile without registering it in the portal?

Do you use a single profile for your development/distribution provisioning profile for all your apps? Iíd still need to create a different AppId for every app, right?

Cheers
10-21-2009, 03:37 AM
#4
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Chaos View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the reply

Can I test my app on a device with a development profile without registering it in the portal?

Do you use a single profile for your development/distribution provisioning profile for all your apps? Iíd still need to create a different AppId for every app, right?

Cheers
I think the device needs to be registered in the portal in order to test the app o it.

Yes, I use a single developmet profile... and a single distribution profile.. for all my apps.

You don't need to have a different AppID for each app... If you have a wildcard app id .... something with a .* at the end, then it can be used for all your apps.
10-21-2009, 04:37 AM
#5
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 46
Yeah, the only real drawback of the wildcard seems to be that you can't do in-app purchasing with it (each app needs a unique app ID for that).

-- DaVoid Digital --
Check out AstroSerf - Update now available!
>> For more information, mosey on over to AstroSerf.com
>> Follow AstroSerfGame on Twitter for the latest news!
10-21-2009, 05:11 AM
#6
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Munich
Posts: 384
Send a message via Skype™ to rdklein
The app gets a unique id, only the profile uses the wildcard.

RadioactivityCounter on App Store developer of this App RadioactivityCounter 2012
Ports of Call on App Store developer of this game 1986-2009,
10-22-2009, 02:05 AM
#7
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
Hi,
Thank you all again

rdklein, what do you mean by:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdklein View Post
The app gets a unique id, only the profile uses the wildcard.
Why do I need a development profile if I can test it also with my distribution profile?

Cheers
10-22-2009, 02:08 AM
#8
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Chaos View Post
Hi,
Thank you all again

rdklein, what do you mean by:Why do I need a development profile if I can test it also with my distribution profile?

Cheers
Sorry, I meant there are two different profiles you need. 1 development profile for all your apps... and 1 distribution profile for all your apps...

You can't test with the distribution profile.
10-22-2009, 02:42 AM
#9
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
Hi again ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanigon View Post
Sorry, I meant there are two different profiles you need. 1 development profile for all your apps... and 1 distribution profile for all your apps...

You can't test with the distribution profile.
So do you mean the wild card refers to the profile? And in that case, if I use a wild card profile, I donít have to create a different APPID for each app?
Or am I now mixing it all up?
Thank you
10-22-2009, 03:13 AM
#10
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Chaos View Post
Hi again ,

So do you mean the wild card refers to the profile? And in that case, if I use a wild card profile, I donít have to create a different APPID for each app?
Or am I now mixing it all up?
Thank you
Yes, what you said is correct.

As dawvee said, if you want to setup in app purchases, you may need to create a unique app id and development profile for each application... so be aware of that.

But if you're not planning on using in app purchases, then you can go with the wildcard route...