★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Gameloft
  • Genre: Kids
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 110.7 MB
  • Version: 1.0.8
  • Price: $4.99
  • Average User Rating: 2 (1)
App description: Grooooovy! One of the all-time most iconic video game characters is now coming to iPhone & iPod touch!
**Pocket Gamer: 8/10 + Silver Award - "a first-class conversion of one of the all-time great games"

Live or re-live the freaky adventures of Earthworm Jim in a refreshing remake of the classic action/platform game.

Jim was an ordinary earthworm who did very earthworm-like things. One day, during a battle in outer-space, a suit dropped to Earth and landed on Jim, mutating him into a large and intelligent (at least by earthworm standards) superhero. When Jim learns of the evil plans of Psy-Crow and Queen Slug-for-a-Butt, he decides to rescue Princess What's-Her-Name.

Play as the grooviest earthworm in the galaxy, and explore a crazy universe that offers huge gameplay possibilities:

- Run, gun, swing from hooks with your head, launch cows, bungee jump, rocket through speed levels and more.
- Face 12 types of enemies and 9 bosses.
- 4 different styles of gameplay: Side-scrolling run & gun, space racing, bungee jumping and underwater levels
- 10 original environments divided into 16 levels
- 4 levels of difficulty including the challenging mode of the original game
- The re-mastered cult soundtrack
- iPod library access to play your favorite tracks while playing the game.

Follow us on Twitter for more information: www.twitter.com/EarthwormjimHD

Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

Quick Impressions by WindBurn: [Post 6]
Full Review by WindBurn: Earthworm Jim - The "Grooviest" platformer to hit the AppStore!
Big Albie review: Earthworm Jima classic thats not your garden variety action platformer, [Post 36]
=================
Conclusions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windburn View Post
Closing comments:
It is clear that Gameloft have gone to great lengths to keep this version as true to the original as possible, and it seems all their efforts have paid off immeasurably. It's a terrific (read: masochistic) Earthworm Jim experience that both lovers of the original and those new to the Jim experience should get a kick out of. A word of warning though-- Gameloft have done nothing to back down the harsh difficulty level besides dish out additional health, so if you're not up for some tricky action puzzling that requires a seemingly supernatural deftness and a zillion restarts until you find that winning move, you may want to think twice about getting on the Jim bandwagon. For those who relish the challenge as something intrinsically Jim, this should be an instant favourite and a testament to the iPhone's versatility and Gameloft's continued excellence in its ability to so faithfully re-capture a brilliant cult classic.

So Windy, should I get it?
If you love a challenge and you love platformers, this really would be difficult to pass up as it easily numbers amongst the best on the iPhone. I do want to emphasise how difficult this game is though, Earthworm Jim has always been known for its hair-pulling, teeth gnashing gameplay and there's no exception here. Fortunately at $4.99, it really isn't as expensive as it could have been. For a full SNES game so lovingly recreated, it's quite the steal!

Windburn's rating:
(5 out of 5 stars)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
Overall, Earthworm Jim is one of the more creatively bizarre, charming and innovatively fun platformers available. With a great character in Earthworm Jim and a cast of equally personable enemies all set in wacky environments, this game is worth checking out. While the difficulty may be frustrating with somewhat clunky controls, Earthworm Jim definitely does things his way.

Albie Meter: 4 Stars (wacky characters matched by equally bizarre environments make this a great platformer; varied gameplay with mini-games and side missions; controls have a slight learning curve, and the difficulty may be frustrating for some; play your own music, but no progressive gameplay save)
10-20-2009, 12:19 PM
this game was so much fun on the snes. I usually don't buy games when they come out, but here comes the exception!

10-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Sweet, I'll be getting this ASAP when it drops in the US. I'm not counting on the controls being that great, but I'm sure they'll at least be passable. I mean, I figured out how to work with the Sonic controls on the iPhone, so I'm sure I can deal with these controls too, good or bad. LOVED EJ back in the day. Ahhhhh 6th grade memories...
10-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOARDUMB View Post
Sweet, I'll be getting this ASAP when it drops in the US. I'm not counting on the controls being that great, but I'm sure they'll at least be passable. I mean, I figured out how to work with the Sonic controls on the iPhone, so I'm sure I can deal with these controls too, good or bad. LOVED EJ back in the day. Ahhhhh 6th grade memories...
ive never even played Earthworm Jim and to be honest hadn't heard of it...but the screenies look to awesome to miss.

Plus+ id: Fudgeboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
I find DG incredibly sexy, just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
You scare me, you honestly scare me
10-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Send a message via AIM to Outkast1
EJ is such an epic game I can't believe people haven't heard of it before. I'm really worried about the controls though.. this game can be tough. Someone else pointed out earlier that it was tough enough on an SNES controller... I'm a little skeptical at the virtual controls. I've played EJ2 on the SNES emulator (original EJ doesn't work well for some reason) and while playable... it's really, really tough. I'm sure the controls for this will be better than the emu, but still..
10-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Preface: I've played through the first two levels only, so there may be more to add to this review in due time. So far though, I feel what I've garnered from my short play experience should apply throughout the game and bar some unlikely drastic screw-up by Gameloft in latter levels, I'm comfortable in giving these impressions.

Mini Review/TOFTT:

Earthworm Jim really needs no introductions. The little worm in a Schwarzenegger-like exo-suit is back in full swing (hah!) on the iPhone and it is definitely good!

Everything has been lovingly recreated by Gameloft straight from the old 16-bit SNES version albeit with a generous application of the wonderful HD brush to all the in-game graphics. The artwork looks clean and crisp in a way that has not been seen since the SNES release. The levels are otherwise identical in form and function, which is a blessing as many would not have appreciated Gameloft toying with the tried and true Earthworm Jim formula.

Perhaps the most notable aspect of Earthworm Jim was its gruellingly difficulty. Boy was it hard! To some, this was a boon, but many would see otherwise. Fortunately, Gameloft has given several options for your EJ experience-- with an Easy, Normal, Hard and an additional "Original" setting available. Playing through on any difficulty but Original will provide you with occassional visual prompts and in-game signage to explain the game's features and assist in some of the more difficult areas, as well as an increased amount of health. As expected, the Original mode is a faithful rendition of the version we know and love sans the additional Gameloft-added cues. One point to note is that the bosses seem more difficult to defeat than what they were in the original. The first boss took a particularly large amount of ammo to take down, but whether this is true of other enemies throughout the game is yet to be seen.

The transition to the iPhone device brings with it an overarching concern for how it will handle, as Jim is quite the touchy fellow to navigate around. Fortunately, there is both a D-Pad and an analogue stick control option, and both seem to do the job just fine. If there were any sticking points to note about the controls, it would be that the three action buttons-- jump, attack and whip-- are a little too close to each other for those with larger thumbs, and requires a bit of getting used to, to land some of the more dexterously challenging maneouvours. Ironically, this reviewer had the same difficulty with some of the swinging puzzles as in the original, so perhaps the rendition was a little too faithful! It's not a deal breaker though, and after (quite) a few attempts and some teething time, you'll be swinging and whipping Jim about with abandon. Those with normal sized digits shouldn't have any problem at all.

The other iPhone control feature worth mentioning has to do with the accelerometer. Earthworm Jim uses the iPhone's tilt controls for its space rocket, avoid-the-asteroid mini-game between levels. The default setting is a little too sensitive, so it's fortune that Gameloft provided a sensitivity option to get the tilt controls just right. These levels aren't overly long or difficult so the accelerometer use is actually craftily implemented and doesn't feature enough to get annoying.

The in-game sound effects were another remarkable part of Earthworm Jim, and you'll be glad to know they have all been remastered and sound fantastic. From the annoying crow-death sounds and occassional cow moo, to that age-old rubber tire bouncing effect, they all sound wonderful-- crisper and cleaner than the SNES version, but instantly recognisable as Jim. The music is just as delightfully distinct, with the quirky electronica tunes-- occassionally staccato'd with an assortment of farm animals-- to the orchestral, darth-vader inspired ensembles, every level has a different, memorable tune to carry you through straight from its roots.

Gameloft have gone to great lengths to keep this version as true to the original as possible, and it seems all their efforts have paid off immeasurably. It's a terrific (read: masochistic) Earthworm Jim experience that both lovers of the original and those new to the Jim experience should get a kick out of. Warning though-- they've done nothing to back down the harsh difficulty level bar dish out additional health, so if you're not up for some tricky, fidgety action puzzling and a zillion restarts until you find that winning move, you may want to think twice about getting on the Jim bandwagon. For those who relish the challenge as something intrinsically Jim, this should be an instant classic and a testament to the iPhone's versatility and mountain of possibilities.

Gamecenter: Pietrole --
--
Peter L. -- (retired) Official TouchArcade Reviewer & Reporter.

Last edited by Windburn; 10-20-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Updated with difficulty emphasis
10-20-2009, 05:22 PM
god bless you. this is officially a purchase come midnight.
10-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windburn View Post
---
Bravo! Well done soldier!

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."
10-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Great review, Windburn. Guess Gameloft gets my hard-earned cash...again .
10-20-2009, 05:39 PM
thanks for the review, instant buy!