iPad 4

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kenan2000, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    #1 Kenan2000, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Do you think it's still a good device for gaming if updated to the latest iOS version for at least 8 months considering I've never finished MHFU,pretty much have not played 65% of of the premium games in the AppStore, have a huge backlog?

I'm still hesitating whether I want to get a new iPad or not but i think that playing on Mac or on PC seems like a better idea to me considering that games won't be disappearing,getting broken due to new iOS updates.
    I just wish a long-term iOS gamer with clear mind could help me out with this problem.

2. Kenan2000

Nov 25, 2013
    Bump.
    It's just the idea that games that I enjoy thoroughly right now on iOS that have no substitute of whatsoever might just disappear forever leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

3. Kenan2000

Nov 25, 2013
    I guess nobody can answer my question...

4. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Do you currently own said iPad 4?

5. Kenan2000

Nov 25, 2013
    Yes,I do.

6. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    You're just trying to decide if you should upgrade or not then?

Haven't owned an iPad 4th gen so it's hard for me to say. I recently upgaded from an iPad Mini 2 to an iPad Air 2 and the difference in performance has been great. The mini could barely hold more than 2 tabs open in safari at once.

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #7 Nullzone, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    If it still holds up for the games you want to play, that is one less incentive to upgrade.
    I'm playing exclusively on iOS for ~7 years now, and the differences between each generation are getting smaller.
    The jump from iPod2 to iPad2 was huge, same for iPad2 to Air1 (retina display, awesome!) .
    Except for some games that really push the hardware to breaking point, my Air1 is still running great and I skipped both the Air2 and the Pro.

The biggest problem could be - depends on the games you play - that the iPad4 doesn't support Apple's Metal graphics interface. That alone gave an unbelievable performance boost.
    Afaik most games still aim at older hardware and should run good enough even on a 4. I can only vaguely remember a single game that had Air2 as minimum. And I recently tried "Second World Air War", which drops the framerate into single digits on the Air1 (not optimised, I bet).
    And of course Brightridge makes even a Pro sweat with full bling on ;)
    But that's about it.

If you can hold out a bit longer, I'd wait for the next iPad generation; and either get a new one then, or an Air2 or Pro since they quite likely will get a pricedrop at that point.

P.S. Brightridge is actually the best performance and "whow! effect" indicator I know. If you know someone with an Air1/2 or a Pro, go download the normal version for your 4 and check it out. Then get the HD version for the Air and compare. If your eyes fall out and you start to drool, you want an Air2 right away :D

P.S.S.: Games disappearing or breaking with a new iOS is a real risk. But again depends on the games you play. I almost exclusively play RPGs and strategy/tactics game, and those I have tend to keep rolling on. Sure, there might be some that no longer run at all (I honestly don't know), but then I played them already and don't feel like going back for replays.