★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Multiplayer on iPod Touch

07-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Multiplayer on iPod Touch

So I have a question about the capabilities of the iPod Touch. I noticed some games are quoting multiplayer as a function. However, I am assuming that it only in what the PSP would dub "Infrastructure Mode" (as seen in this documentation). However, I was wondering if the iPod touch would also be able to support what the PSP dubs "AdHoc Mode", i.e. a direct connection between two iPod Touches, without using any wireless routers or anything. I know very little to nothing about the technical aspects of the iPod Touch, so i was wondering if this is even possible or not.
07-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
I have heard that the iPhone / iPod touch is not capable of "ad hoc" WiFi connectivity. Nothing official, however. On the other hand, thanks to multi-touch, two players can game on the same unit!

blakespot

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]

07-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Reading the info about cro-mag rally on their website there are references to network play, but these don't seem to be in the final release? Does anyone have any ideas? Are there any multiplayer games (2 phones or touches, not 2 people on the same phone al a air hockey)?
07-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Apple Texas Holdem

Apple's Texas Holdem game is incredible, only 5 bucks, and has local wifi connectivity. Works great.
07-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Send a message via AIM to matt
I bought 3-D Vector Pong because it said it had Wifi enabled game play but when it click to play online it does nothing! It just goes to a game where you are by yourself.
07-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Vector Pong Multiplayer

You have to be on the same wifi network as your opponent to play two players. One creates, another joins. I just tried it at work with a friend and its a lot of fun.
07-15-2008, 03:53 AM
does anyone have any info on the quake port to the iphone? will it appear on the apps store soon, if at all?
12-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakespot View Post
I have heard that the iPhone / iPod touch is not capable of "ad hoc" WiFi connectivity. Nothing official, however. On the other hand, thanks to multi-touch, two players can game on the same unit!

blakespot
you said ad hoc, whats is ad hoc rofl