★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Sokkelo: The Phrase Maze by Retrodigio LLC, creators of Gnomium

01-24-2017, 04:03 AM
Sokkelo: The Phrase Maze by Retrodigio LLC, creators of Gnomium

Hi Everyone, it's so good to be back promoting another game on TouchArcade. My small game studio of one (Retrodigio LLC) is pleased to announce the development of Sokkelo: The Phrase Maze as part of yet another venture into the world of experimental word game mechanics.

(Experimental, yes, but remember this is good. Mama said "never do something that nobody never done did" and the last thing we need is another re-hashed, re-skinned version of Boggle. I hope to stay true to producing what appear to be unique 'things' in my limited and boot-strapped wanna-be-indie-game-developer career. The truth is, I just want to turn out like Asher Vo, but apparently this is not an easy thing to do).

Sokkelo takes a unique stab at word-search, combining the idea with the traditional maze. Players collect Sokkelo cards containing phrases (some common, others completely made up by yours truly) with selected parts-of-speech (as in verbs, adjectives, nouns etc.) that are replaced whenever you play a Sokkelo card. These replacement words are linked and used to build a random path using super-duper complex algorithms through an invisible maze of letter tiles (I mean, the tiles aren't invisible, the maze is.. er um the 'walls' of the maze that is. Nvrmind, you'll understand when you play the game, it's not all that complicated). Surprisingly, the game can actually be quite challenging at times, even for seasoned word-game players, and this is of course, very pleasing.

The nature of random word replacement tends to produce some pretty funny or absurd (and often absurdly funny) phrases. For example, a phrase like "The early bird catches the worm." could be turned into "The frightened copy machine robs the beach ball." or other such sayings. You can imagine where this could go, but the cool thing is that because of the random nature in which a game is constructed (whenever you play a card), any card can be played nearly an infinite number of times and produce a unique game experience every single time.

Sokkelo is still under development (that's a nice way of saying "I'm still experimenting"). The core game play mechanics are in, but I'm heavily tweaking the engine, scoring and progress systems. Here are a current rundown of features to be expected:

- A twist on word-search, mazes and mad-libs.
- Designed specifically for easy one-handed game play.
- Each Sokkelo card is infinitely re-playable. Every game, a unique maze and phrase.
- 100's of Sokkelo cards available with many more to come.
- Earn points to unlock new, random Sokkelo cards or purchase packs of random cards.
- Share hilariously generated phrases with your friends.
- Increase the skill level and points earned on each card by beating score challenges.

Links to hopefully interesting things:

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTn...CjiG3J7KOMQXkw
Facebook: http://fb.me/sokkelogame
Twitter: @sokkelogame https://twitter.com/sokkelogame
Instagram: @sokkelogame
Email: retrodigio@gmail.com

Yes, please ask questions.. like "Do you think this could be the next big e-sports word game?" I'll try to give my best and most honest answers quickly.

Cheers.

-Chris Crabtree

____

And here's what you really came to see - a video of my daughters playing the game. I haven't had time or resources to build a cool launch trailer yet, so this will have to do.

Here's a neat gif:

TouchArcade, you can use any of these banner images if you want to have something for an article or something (hint hint).

Here are a few screenshots

- Chris

Last edited by Retrodigio; 01-24-2017 at 09:35 AM.
01-24-2017, 10:25 PM
Captains log - stardate 94669.02

I really like Trello. Have you used it? A friend of mine introduced it to me a few weeks ago and I created cards for all of the remaining features for Sokkelo version 1.

This is a high level view, but as you can see there are miscellaneous things to finish off like deleting, sharing, flipping between and unlocking cards, but the fun stuff revolves around fleshing out the API and updates to RANT code and dictionaries (the code that drives the processing of phrases).

API? Sokkelo will use an API to store and pull back-end stuff, save settings, keep track of rankings and which cards you have in your deck. I want everyone who plays Sokkelo to start off with a random deck of cards, like Hearthstone or Pokemon (cuz yeah, this game is just like those games), but to do so requires an internet connection. Unlocking new cards should operate the same way, always a surprise. This also means we'll need a boat-load of Sokkelo cards in the DB. Having a back-end to drive and track cards means that new cards can be added any time without requiring an update to the app.

I'll be adding new cards all of the time once the API is ready, if you have ideas for great Sokkelo card phrases or quotes, let me know and maybe it will get into the game. I'll post about phrase formats later on. Cheerio.

-Chris

- Chris

01-25-2017, 12:25 AM
Intriguing! I really liked gnomium but always wanted it to be more word-centric.
01-25-2017, 01:00 PM
Hi Vectorarchitekt! Great to see you again. You've always been so great about providing feedback and it is so soo appreciated!

Sokkelo is all about words (and phrases, and mazes, but they all mix well). I think it's a new take that you'll really enjoy. I'll keep posting updates here and let everyone know when the right TestFlight beta build is available. Thanks!

- Chris
01-25-2017, 08:15 PM
That name cant be a coincidence, can it? Have to try it.
01-25-2017, 08:33 PM
Not a coincidence

Duke12, are you Finnish?

- Chris
01-25-2017, 08:39 PM
TouchArcade Article

Sokkelo: The Phrase Maze is Mad-Libs-Style Word Mazes from Gnomium Developer Retrodigio

Thanks Carter, for the TA article! You captured the essence perfectly.

- Chris
01-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrodigio View Post
Duke12, are you Finnish?
What gave it away?
01-26-2017, 02:39 AM
This looks like my kind of game! For a word freak, maze lover, and Fennophile, this is a must-buy!
01-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Fennophile. See, even someone who's had to go through the entire English dictionary a few times (not for fun, mind you), learns a new word here and there. Thanks Valentia! Plus, I'd consider myself a Fennophile too!

- Chris