★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Collect or Die (By Super Smith Bros)

01-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Collect or Die (By Super Smith Bros)

Lite Version: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/collect-or-die-lite/id1191378055?mt=8

This is a very good game that sadly I feel will be overshadowed by the fact that it's tilt only. Please do try the lite version even if you don't normally like tilt games, at least to see what it's like.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
01-25-2017, 08:50 PM
Tried the lite version, excellent game.

I understand why they went with tilt and it works but it isn't as precise as being able to control my movement, maybe that is part of the challenge?

I don't like how the character starts in a slow walk, with tilt it makes it seem uncertain as to when he will start running.

01-25-2017, 09:36 PM
I grabbed the lite version. Glad you/they included that. Be back later. And wow with all the game threads, thanks!

Seems well-made and I got used to the controls pretty quickly. Still need practice. It's kinda strange how your guy starts moving slowly for a second before you can take control of him.

Finished stage one with 1 star and a time of 3min 30sec. Died 20-ish times, half of which were on the same section. Lots of achievements and several leaderboards is nice. I see at least one familiar name up there with a pretty good time, so the controls I'm sure just take practice to perfect. I may grab the premium version after I play this one some more.

Last edited by Anotherkellydown; 01-25-2017 at 09:57 PM.
01-26-2017, 01:55 AM
Hey guys,

Just to let you know we'll hopefully be making a tvOS version and will likely add controller support around the same time.

We've spent a lot of time balancing the tilt controls and designed the levels specifically around them, leaving enough space on ledges to allow for mistakes etc. If there is enough call for on-screen buttons we'll consider adding them... currently I feel like it'll detract from the challenge and it'll lose some of the 'fun' element from not being precisely in control, getting the random stickman deaths and whatnot but I understand the reasons people want buttons.

Always happy to hear feedback and suggestions, positive or negative

Developer of Drawtopia & Collect or Die (Universal Apps)

Last edited by SuperSmithBros; 01-26-2017 at 01:58 AM.
01-26-2017, 07:12 AM
The cake is a lie.
01-26-2017, 09:49 AM
While i always prefer buttons for a precision game like this, tilting works almost as good as it gets, imho. Coming from playing an amazing tilt-only oldie (Velocispider) the last few days, i adapted very quickly. Since it's only 2-ways tilting (left/right), you can play it laying on your couch. My favorite setting is #2 out of 5 sensitivity options.

The game's presentation is charming great with a pretty quick (touch anywhere, thanks!) replay. While the first two stages are relatively easy, to only survive and finish stage 3 might give you some grey hairs. It's a game for highscore chasers in the end. Memorize and optimize each ten levels in a stage and go for your best time. Without this intention, well, the game is very short in content, 4 stages = 40 levels. Short.

I tried out the free version and decided to buy the full after the first stage. See for yourself.

My 2017 GOTY contenders...
Glitchskier, Slayaway Camp
01-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Tried the light version. Love the concept and art work. Very N, N+, N++ ish. However, feel like button controls would certainly improve gameplay experience for me. Will purchase full version second they are implemented.
01-26-2017, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertz555 View Post
The game's presentation is charming great with a pretty quick (touch anywhere, thanks!) replay. While the first two stages are relatively easy, to only survive and finish stage 3 might give you some grey hairs. It's a game for highscore chasers in the end. Memorize and optimize each ten levels in a stage and go for your best time. Without this intention, well, the game is very short in content, 4 stages = 40 levels. Short.
Don't worry, new content is coming, we'll be aiming for a new stage every 4-6 weeks and they'll each feature new obstacles and challenges to keep things fresh... the name of the stages give a little hint to what those obstacles might be

Owners of the paid version or the premium pack IAP (from the lite version) will get the new content first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx77 View Post
Tried the light version. Love the concept and art work. Very N, N+, N++ ish. However, feel like button controls would certainly improve gameplay experience for me. Will purchase full version second they are implemented.
We're gonna hold fast on the tilt controls for a little while at least, get a feel for what people think and how hard they're finding it. If we do add them in future we'll likely make a separate leaderboard for each control scheme to keep things fair.

Developer of Drawtopia & Collect or Die (Universal Apps)

Last edited by SuperSmithBros; 01-26-2017 at 04:52 PM.
01-26-2017, 05:29 PM
It's great to have you here, SuperSmithBros!

Just grabbed the full version to support you. Probably won't have time to dig in until later tonight or tomorrow though. Hopefully I see some of my pro Game Center friends on the leaderboards
01-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Played this today, great game!