★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Aurora Feint questions

12-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Aurora Feint questions

I just got my ipod touch (like so many others I'm sure) and had planned to get the free version of Aurora Feint - which I did. I have enjoyed what I've played so far, though I'm finding myself with a few questions.

First, I thought there would be more story - maybe not as much as Puzzle Quest, but so far there seems to be no reason for what I'm doing at all. Does this change with any of the paid versions?

I'm also seeing three paid versions of this game in itunes.
Aurora Feint II: The Beginning (0.99)
Aurora Feint II: The Arena (7.99)
Aurora Feint II: Tower Puzzles (0.99)

I understand that 'The Arena' added 'online' competitive play and some more puzzles - I'm not really into the online component, so this doesn't seem to be for me. I think the Tower Puzzles is 'The Arena' minus the online play - is that true? Also, what then is the 99 cent 'The Beginning' vs the free version I already have.

Finally, is there any instructions/online guide that I could check out. I'm not even sure I'm playing correctly. I think I understand all the rules, but then I'm struggling with some of the puzzles and it makes me think I might be missing something.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Last edited by Ethansdad; 12-28-2008 at 10:33 PM.
12-28-2008, 09:02 PM
i think that Tower Puzzles is the thing where u move the balls to match 3 of a kind or something and u have a limited number of moves

12-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, Tower Puzzles is the "3 moves left" part of the main game, in spinof form, apaprently.

I also got AF recently, started off with the free versiona nd ended up getting the $.99 one. I've only had it for a couple days, but so far. can't really say you're missing that much, it just seems to be a more updated version of the same thing, with chat and some more online stuff. I don't regret buying it or anything, but you get essentially all the same things with the free version, minus the annoying ads in the very beginning.

I was also disappointed by any sort of lack of story, despite it being advertised as some "epic world". The gameplay is great, and I understand that its more of an introductory tool for a much larger experience, but yeah, I'm disappointed in that regards.
12-29-2008, 02:38 AM
What Puzzles do you mean? The Tower ones?

I think if you really like the free Version, the 99 Cent one is definitely worth getting they added weapons and other cool stuff.
12-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Ok, I'm starting to get it.

The 'Tower Puzzles' 99cent game are the additional tower puzzles that come along with 'The Arena' 7.99 game (if you don't want the online stuff).

'II: The Beginning' 99cent is a slightly updated version of the free one with some weapon additions, but there's still no real story.

That's disappointing. I really like the map and the game, I'd just like a little bit more meat to it all. Why am I mining? What's going on in this world? What's the purpose?

Ah well, perhaps a further sequel will delve into these things. Still, I might upgrade to the 99cent 'The Beginning' - I'm really enjoying this game a lot so it would probably be worth it.
12-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ethansdad View Post
<snip>Why am I mining? What's going on in this world? What's the purpose?
I only have the free one, but the way I understand the, er, flow of the game play is something like this:

1. Mine until the bar near the top is full. This means you've earned the right to buy a tool/ability.
2. Go to the shop and buy your tool/ability.
3. Go to the Smith/Tower (depending on whether you got a tool or a magic scroll).
4a. For Tower, complete the puzzle, go back to 1.
4b. For Smith, to complete the blueprint, get the right number of the right sort of block mined (matched up) in the time it gives you (it says up the top the time and which blocks you need to focus on getting). Go back to 1.

The more blueprints and scrolls and stuff you get, the more of those special blocks (that kill all the ones of one colour on the screen, etc) you get in your normal mining, I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Maybe it's because it's since been hyped up (I got it near launch) but I don't have a problem with it. For a match three game, I think it's ace. I can see how it might be disappointing if you were expecting more though.
12-29-2008, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't say I'm dissappointed. I was expecting a little more (ok 'any') story since this was getting compared to Puzzle Quest - that said, I've played this game more than any other (and I paid for Rolando and Fieldrunners).

For anyone coming to this topic looking for more info - I've found the forum from the actual game/developer to be very helpful:

Thanks to everyone who's posted here.