★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Fire Emblem Free to Play Discussion

02-02-2017, 02:39 PM
#1
Joined: May 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 433
Fire Emblem Free to Play Discussion

Downloaded. Played intro. Downloaded some more. Played 1 or 2 more missions and then i noticed the dreaded stamina system. In a Nintendo game. Oh dear
02-02-2017, 02:51 PM
#2
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by jn2002dk View Post
Downloaded. Played intro. Downloaded some more. Played 1 or 2 more missions and then i noticed the dreaded stamina system. In a Nintendo game. Oh dear
What do u expect with a freemium game....? In fact they're energy/Stamina system is pretty damn fair.

GAME CENTER: Adamphetamine
GAMESPY: Adamphetamine or NeonPriest

02-02-2017, 04:17 PM
#3
Joined: May 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamphetamine View Post
What do u expect with a freemium game....? In fact they're energy/Stamina system is pretty damn fair.
i expect either no stamina system at all or failing that, an IAP to remove it. I would have been happy to pay 10$+ for that or upfront

This is isn't some small publisher or indie trying to make ends meet. This is Nintendo we're talking about. One of the oldest and most respected companies in gaming

Anyway, if you enjoy it good for you. For me, it's just another sign that mobile gaming is not the saviour it once looked to be
02-02-2017, 04:22 PM
#4
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: on the internet
Posts: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by jn2002dk View Post
i expect either no stamina system at all or failing that, an IAP to remove it. I would have been happy to pay 10$+ for that or upfront

This is isn't some small publisher or indie trying to make ends meet. This is Nintendo we're talking about. One of the oldest and most respected companies in gaming

Anyway, if you enjoy it good for you. For me, it's just another sign that mobile gaming is not the saviour it once looked to be
Well Super Mario Run was 10$ no freemium stuff and surely you seen how people reacted to that...

im a rpg loving kind of guy
02-02-2017, 04:34 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 830
U expecting the wrong things for a game that u knew was freemium and then all of a sudden act surprised when there is an energy system is in place haha such a joke

GAME CENTER: Adamphetamine
GAMESPY: Adamphetamine or NeonPriest
02-02-2017, 04:34 PM
#6
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambo12 View Post
Well Super Mario Run was 10$ no freemium stuff and surely you seen how people reacted to that...
Funny part is when the same people who complained about $10 spend a ton more on this game and don't think twice.
02-02-2017, 04:37 PM
#7
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanx View Post
Funny part is when the same people who complained about $10 spend a ton more on this game and don't think twice.
The difference is there is a paywall in Mario but not in this game

note: i paid for mario
02-02-2017, 07:45 PM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jn2002dk View Post
i expect either no stamina system at all or failing that, an IAP to remove it. I would have been happy to pay 10$+ for that or upfront

This is isn't some small publisher or indie trying to make ends meet. This is Nintendo we're talking about. One of the oldest and most respected companies in gaming

Anyway, if you enjoy it good for you. For me, it's just another sign that mobile gaming is not the saviour it once looked to be
Agreed. I downloaded and began playing. But timers will eventually make me stop and play something else. I will end up probably paying nothing for a game with timers in it. If they didn't have timers or connection requirement and just had IAP for heroes and weapons/upgrades, I would've paid $10 for it. In the end, it's too bad. It's a fun little time waster, but it'll be another F2P that I don't pay for and will eventually shut down. But FFT will continue to live on after that. So I guess I'll enjoy it for a bit for what it is. Wonder how well it'll do for them though.
02-02-2017, 08:08 PM
#9
Joined: Feb 2015
Location: Sydney
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisrshideler View Post
Agreed. I downloaded and began playing. But timers will eventually make me stop and play something else. I will end up probably paying nothing for a game with timers in it. If they didn't have timers or connection requirement and just had IAP for heroes and weapons/upgrades, I would've paid $10 for it. In the end, it's too bad. It's a fun little time waster, but it'll be another F2P that I don't pay for and will eventually shut down. But FFT will continue to live on after that. So I guess I'll enjoy it for a bit for what it is. Wonder how well it'll do for them though.
Yet the game already has a high rating on the App Store. That's the problem. A lot of people here complain, but the average user who grabbed this for the Fire Emblem name is already happily throwing money at it.

This business model is horrible, but let's be honest, Nintendo is probably making more money this way so it's not surprising that they just want to make as much money as possible. The past has indicated that it doesn't really hurt their brand either so they've got little to lose.

At this point, we should put the blame pretty squarely at the people that throw money at these games. This isn't the early days of iOS gaming anymore where people were still unfamiliar with this business model and hadn't learnt their lesson yet.

What we're seeing here is Nintendo simply meeting a demand with supply. As long as that demand is there for p2w games void of any interesting gaming mechanics other than spending more money, then this will continue.
02-02-2017, 09:19 PM
#10
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,083
Totally agree. Wish this was premium and not constant online. For business travelers flying is a great time to relax and play games. Needing wifi is silly and sure we can pay for the inflight wifi but still a bit sad that we can't just enjoy premium games without wifi.

QUOTE=Hambo12;3972329]Wish it was premium but seeing how Mario went... anyways hope this game does well for Nintendo so they can keep making Mobile games.[/QUOTE]