★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

[DevLog] Our Ways - experience based puzzle game

02-22-2017, 11:10 AM
[DevLog] Our Ways - experience based puzzle game (October 2017)

Youtube link | Pop Up

================================================== ============================
Our Ways is Coming

Date: 11th October 2017
Price: $1.99. No in-app purchases or advertisements.
Features:
- minimalistic art style
- simple gameplay and challenging mechanics
- 8 themes and 64 handcrafted levels
- play and share your own result
- suitable for both single player & two-player
- colorblind-friendly mode available
- touching and atmospheric piano music

Localization:
Supports 12 languages: English, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese Portugal, Portuguese Brazil, Russian, Spanish

App Description:
Our Ways is an experience-based puzzle game about exploring relationship. Using two fingers, control the two color dots to move, approach and meet. Each level represents a relationship. Experience and overcome different situations like 'Obstacles', 'Uncontrollable', 'Lost', etc.

Each individual like me or you is different, so as every relationship. In Our Ways, the result of each level depends on how far and how many steps the two color dots took. Just as our relationships, there is no perfect one, no right or wrong. It only depends how we see them. Play and get your own results!

Find your way in Our Ways.
================================================== ============================

------------------------------------------------
Latest DevLog:
DevLog #0 Here We Go!
DevLog #1 UI, UI, UI
DevLog #2 Title + Chapter Menu
DevLog #3 We are coming to Chapter 1!!!
DevLog #4 Yay! Chapter 1!
DevLog #5 Make it vital
DevLog #6 Enter production stage & Release Date Announcement
DevLog #7 Chapter 4 Implementation
DevLog #8 Chapter 5 & 6, Game Icon
DevLog #9 Chapter 7 & 8, Music, We are Almost There!
DevLog #10 Finally...
------------------------------------------------

Hi all!

We are Rolling Pig Studio and just started a new project called "Our Ways". This is our second game and we believe we can do better from experience learned. In this DevLog thread, we would like to record and share our development process to all of you. Hope you will enjoy it and welcome any comments/suggestions!

About the game

"Our Ways" is an experience based puzzle game about how two individuals get along with each other. The objective of each level is simple: Player controls two dots to meet each other, No time Limit, No perfect result. There will be 8 chapters in the game. Each contains 8 levels and will have different themes and game mechanics => one control and core gameplay, many mechanic (inspired by Braid!).

We hope to incorporate an experience of how each individual get along with other individual in different situations of life into the game. There is no right or wrong, just "Our Ways".

Inspired by: Perchang, Braid, INKS.

Features

- minimalistic art style
- simple gameplay and challenging mechanics
- 8 themes and 64 handcrafted levels
- play and share your own result
- suitable for both single player & two-player
- colorblind-friendly mode available
- touching and relaxing piano music

Release date

October 2017

About Us

Rolling Pig Studio is an indie studio formed by Mr. Pighead and Ms. Lumlum based in a crowded city. We both have a day job (programmer and business developer) and make our own games after work. We believe video game is an art form. We hope to share thoughts and raise questions in a fun experience.

Website
Twitter

Last edited by pighead; 09-13-2017 at 12:04 PM.
02-22-2017, 11:15 AM
Our Ways DevLog #0 Here We Go!

Our Ways DevLog #0 Here We Go!

Current status

Core mechanic:
The mechanic was decided fast. This was inpired when I played Perchang, controlling the gizmos to send the balls to goal. It drives my fingers crazy for the coordination. Then I thought how about a simple gameplay that make two characters meet by two hands control? Prototype always helps. I made a fast prototype with few hardcoded levels. The feel is pretty good! While we were struggling for our next game, why not just make a small one first? Then we decide to go with it.

Theme:
For a product, we always believe the WHY is important. And one of the Rolling Pig objectives is connect something in life to our games. 2 characters/meet/move along a path => LOVE!

Game mechanic:
We plan to have few chapters that each chapter has a topic about different situations. Then each chapter will have the corresponding environment mechanic.

Game design:
We discussed the result after each level. Any score/star? As we want to focus more on the experience, we decided to not have these things. We will only show a graphical percentage to represent how far of each character go. I think this fit the theme of how 2 individuals be with each other.

Also, there are two way to fail the level. 1. character collide to the environment/obstacle, 2. character is being controlled for a certain time. The second one is to emphasize the theme that we encourage that everyone should participate in any relationships.

Art:
Since we both are not artist, we decide to stick with a clean and minimalistic art style. Here are the styles we tried.

And finally we choose the cleanest one with no shadow and other stuffs. Then we added eyes for the "characters". The eyes make it vital! Also we add footprints for the characters to indicate the path. This will be good for player to share the result in social media.

Next:

Game design: What result? Score? Star? Any time limit?
Art: UI Design.
Programming: Implement the mechanics.
Other: Will make more gifs to show the game.

02-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Our Ways DevLog #1 UI, UI, UI

Current status
Last week we focused more on UI of level menu, in-game menu and game end menu.

In Game Menu:
We think the ending effect of old movie may fit to our game. So we apply it to be the transition of the game. There are 3 states we need transition:
1. Win
2. Lose - character collides to environment
3. Lose - time-out of controlling 1 character only
Here are the results.

For game lose, the game will restart automatically to reduce user action to click button to restart. We think this effect makes it more reasonable.

Game End Menu:
We want to deliver a experience to player that no right or wrong. We only want to let the player know how they play the level which can represent by percentage. However, it would be better to express it without numbers. So the below ideas were came up.

Level Menu:
We think it will be good if player can preview the level and also the previous game result. Then a question popped in our mind: Why cant game end menu and level menu be the same? Finally we decided to use one screen for two menus.

Next:
Title Menu
Chapter Menu
03-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Our Ways DevLog #2 Title + Chapter Menu

Title Menu:

In title menu, the logo is important to express the game. Our target logo is minimalistic and has some in-game element on it. We tried about 20 designs.

We finally choose this one and will add animation on it for the title screen.

Chapter Menu:

In chapter menu, we want to incorporate the title message into the menu. And we come up with this design.

Next:
Implement the ui flow
Chpater 1 levels
03-15-2017, 11:31 AM
Our Ways DevLog #3 We are coming to Chapter 1!!!

Yay!! As the title says, we finally confirm the UI flow of 'Our Ways" and come to the levels of Chapter 1.

Long story short, take a look at the video!

As we confirmed the UI flow, we will move on to chapters and revisit the UI for polishing later.

Next:
Chapter 1
Chapter titles

Last edited by pighead; 03-15-2017 at 11:37 AM.
03-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Although people aren't replying... just want to let you know, that I appreciate and love that you are posting your progress on this wonderful game. It is quite fascinating!
03-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
Although people aren't replying... just want to let you know, that I appreciate and love that you are posting your progress on this wonderful game. It is quite fascinating!
Hi Lavender, thank you so much for your reply. This is really motivating!
03-18-2017, 05:34 AM
Very interesting game,i like it!
03-18-2017, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pighead View Post
Hi Lavender, thank you so much for your reply. This is really motivating!
Youu're welcome.

I don't have a lot of time lately, but if you need someone to play a couple times through beta testing or when it's finished; the finished game through promo code, let me know. Just send a pm.

I can not dedicate months of testing and looking for 🐜 bugs but I can certainly give it a few hours.

Not begging for codes. Just an offer.

Keep posting though. It's fascinating!
Good luck.
03-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusx View Post
Very interesting game,i like it!
Thanks geniusx. Happy to hear that you like it!