★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: How many of you guys convert the lite version game into the full version?

12-29-2008, 04:40 AM
How many of you guys convert the lite version game into the full version?

What makes you convert to the full version one?
12-29-2008, 04:50 AM
purely depends how much addicted i get to the game. i think i've upgraded twice so far. the only lite game i currently have is pac man, which, being as i rarely use it, will probably stay on lite.

12-29-2008, 04:52 AM
Unfortunately every lite app i bought has failed to persuade me into buying the full version (except powerboat challenge).

Currently Playing: N.O.V.A, Skater Nation, 33rd Division, 7 Cities, Karnival.
Looking Forward to: GTA: Chinatown Wars, Ravensword (update), 1112 ep 02 and yeah the hangover on 1st
12-29-2008, 04:52 AM
Obviously the degree to which I like the game, and the amount of extra features that the full game offers.

For example with Toy Bot Diaries, I found that the free version was fun to play, but that the paid version appeared to be relatively short based on customer comments. So I didn't go for the full version.

However, the few puzzles in Subway Shuffle interested me, and made me want more of them. So I liked the gameplay, wanted more of it, and got the full version.
For Galcon, I wanted the other game modes and online multiplayer.

But then again, these was the only situations where a Lite version made me get the full version. Most of my purchases were 0,99-4,99 games that I liked based on reviews and comments on this forum. I got Super Monkey Ball because it's a platform classic, and Rolando because of the hype, because I liked the videos and because I wanted to join in the discussion of the game on TouchArcade.

Stefan

Last edited by spmwinkel; 12-29-2008 at 04:55 AM.
12-29-2008, 04:56 AM
yeah - as sjleworthy says - it's down to how addictive the lite version is.

I got WordsWorth Lite when it was recommended here - and only played the lite version a couple of times before I got the full version as I was instantly hooked (wasn't tough call as only 59p - so that might also be a factor in how long it takes to jump to full version)

only ever had one other lite game and I binned it in a recent clean-out - game was okayish - just wasn't hooked on it so no point upgrading
12-29-2008, 05:02 AM
it's a shame most games dont come out as lite. i mean, i'd love to sample Rolando or Ferrari GT or Hero of Sparta for example, but i dont wont to pay full whack for something that might not turn me on. so i dont buy, and never will until it price drops.
But a freebee sampler might encourage me to spend several bucks that i previously wouldn't have.
perhaps it's worth putting an email into the developers.
12-29-2008, 05:05 AM
By the way, I also don't like Lite versions that cost $0,99. If I want to try a game and then convert to the full game, I paid extra for trying it first. If a developer doesn't want to give too much away, then make the Lite version more limited. But don't charge for it, I won't spend the dollar on the lite version of a game, I'd rather not get that game alltogether and spend the dollar on a "one dollar gem".

Stefan
12-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Only powerboat challenge, Tanzen, untangle/puzzle maniak so far. Most of the games that I've really loved have been puzzlers that I've picked up on sale or free, usually as a result of posts made here - games like tiki towers, loopy lab, mouse house, pakoon3, trace and strategery.

Lite versions aren't really that useful for me most of the time. I tend to enjoy the games that you pick up and play for a few minutes at a time (in theory at least) rather than a full game (I've got a games console for that). Since these puzzlers tend to be priced fairly low, there's not really a need for a lite version most of the time. The games that I would really like lite versions are gameloft titles like real soccer 09, BIA and hero of sparta. I'm not going to to spend that on a game I might not like, and I suspect that in many cases a lite version would only confirm that I dont really want the game. Instead, it's that I just wanted to see what the iPhone could do, so from gameloft's point of view it makes a lot of sense not to offer them, since some people might be in my position but with more spare cash to make impulse purchases.
12-29-2008, 06:00 AM
Yeah, I convert a couple of lite version into full version sometime after trying the game out for a few mins. But, it depends on the game. Sometime, I've already got my eye on the apps so when they gave the lite version out, and I have the money, I quickly bought it. But, nowadays, most of the lite version I tried aren't that good anyway. Who pays $0.99 to get a lite version anyway?

A good sword remain inside its sheath
A good M16 remain in safe mode
God! So, many games n so little money!!
12-29-2008, 06:03 AM
Games I bought the full of after playing lite:

Toy Bot Diaries
The Plateau
TanZen
Fuzzle

I'll probably get Bob's Dream and Penguin eventually, I just have some other games to play through first.

Of course, there are a bunch of games that I didn't buy after playing the lite version. Mostly this is because I just didn't enjoy the lite version or because I didn't enjoy it enough. For example, I liked Subway Shuffle Lite, but not quite enough to buy the full. Maybe when I grow bored with the puzzle games I have now I'll upgrade. Similarly with Galcon, I've found the lite version challenging enough. I haven't quite beaten it on the hardest setting yet, so I don't see any reason to upgrade.

I like Lite versions because I don't really have spare money to throw at games I might not like; I'd rather buy games I know I'll like (for example based on reviews here on having played the lite version).