★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Ports to Wireless Mobile Games before iPhone?

12-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Ports to Wireless Mobile Games before iPhone?

I keep noticing that there are great games that get ported over to just wireless mobile devices examples Wolfenstien RPG, Prince of Persia, Sonic, etc.. My question is why move it there before moving it to the iPhone?
12-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lab View Post
I keep noticing that there are great games that get ported over to just wireless mobile devices examples Wolfenstien RPG, Prince of Persia, Sonic, etc.. My question is why move it there before moving it to the iPhone?
Those ports were probably done years ago

12-29-2008, 08:07 AM
The companies that make mobile games have their licensing agreements, development pipelines, years of expertise etc. all centered around the business idea of developing mostly Java games for the mass-market handsets.

Would you really want those games ported to this platform?
12-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frand View Post
The companies that make mobile games have their licensing agreements, development pipelines, years of expertise etc. all centered around the business idea of developing mostly Java games for the mass-market handsets.

Would you really want those games ported to this platform?
I think he means the game concept. At least I would hope... Who would want to play cell phone games on an iPhone??
12-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Send a message via AIM to STP_Steve Send a message via Yahoo to STP_Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lab View Post
Two reasons. First, most of those ports were done well before the App Store was created. Secondly, even with the iPhone on the scene, there's still a ton of money to be made on feature phones, provided you can hit a sizable percentage of devices.

Steve Palley, www.slidetoplay.com
12-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
I don't want games ported to the iPhone unless they use all of the iPhone's function's properly (tilt/touch/tap/swipe). I don't think many people would buy the games if they had big buttons on the screen (I'm looking at you, Crystal Defenders). They should at least look like they're made specifically for the iPhone.

Hopefully that makes sense, I had a hard time putting my thoughts into words :P

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
12-29-2008, 02:34 PM
i wish someone will port sonic cause sonic owns all of you and its freaken awsome